Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

26 dead in church shooting.
Old 11-05-2017, 19:01   #1
Brush Okie
Area Commander

26 dead in church shooting.

FYI a citizen grabbed a gun and run the guy off otherwise it would have been worse.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/05/us/tex...est/index.html

Quote:
Were it not for a local resident who confronted the gunman, the deadliest shooting in Texas history could have claimed even more lives.

At a news conference Sunday night, investigators offered a preliminary timeline of the attack at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs and laid out the role the resident played.

The gunman entered the small church in the rural town east of San Antonio, firing with an assault weapon at the congregation attending the morning service.

A man who lives next to the church grabbed his own rifle and engaged the gunman, said Freeman Martin, the regional director of the Texas Department of Public Safety.

"The suspect dropped his rifle, which was a Ruger AR assault-type rifle and fled from the church," Martin said.

The man then chased the gunman, Martin said.

When police spotted the suspect's vehicle a short time later at the county line, they found the gunman inside -- dead of a bullet wound.

"At this time, we don't know if it was a self-inflicted gunshot wound or if he was shot by the local resident," Martin said.

Old 11-05-2017, 19:04   #2
Agoge2
Area Commander

Rest In Peace to the fallen!

A truly tragic event!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:25   #3
LarryW
Area Commander

Murderous bastards are many. Some are insane, some wishing they were insane, and some behaving insanely for the sake of the evil in their hearts.

This era of murder to gain popular recognition will grow and will require all of our wiles to survive.

Be vigilant.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:54   #4
Pete
Quiet Professional

Well, the news is covering his conviction of domestic abuse, confinement and discharge from the AF with a BDC but nobody is asking the question ....

What the hell was he doing with firearms and posting pictures on the internet?

Would seem like he was breaking a number of laws - and more than one person knew it.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:42   #5
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Well, the news is covering his conviction of domestic abuse, confinement and discharge from the AF with a BDC but nobody is asking the question ....

Would seem like he was breaking a number of laws - and more than one person knew it.
Appears at this time he probably lied on ATF Form 4473 on at least 2 possibly more question in section 11. Namely sub section c. and i. Possibly more if he’s seen a shrink or done drugs.

ATF form 4473 asks about Dishonorable Conditions, is a BCD considered a DD? Does that question mean anything other than an HD?

Asking because I don’t know.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper

Old 11-06-2017, 08:11   #6
Brush Okie
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
Appears at this time he probably lied on ATF Form 4473 on at least 2 possibly more question in section 11. Namely sub section c. and i. Possibly more if he’s seen a shrink or done drugs.

ATF form 4473 asks about Dishonorable Conditions, is a BCD considered a DD? Does that question mean anything other than an HD?

Asking because I don’t know.
You are forgetting the domestic violence conviction.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:11   #7
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Murderous bastards are many. Some are insane, some wishing they were insane, and some behaving insanely for the sake of the evil in their hearts.

This era of murder to gain popular recognition will grow and will require all of our wiles to survive.

Be vigilant.
That's what happens after 40+ yrs of liberal education degrading society.....no doubt others saw his intentions the issue now in society is this centrist mindset in which we are no longer our brothers keepers.....the military has the same issue that is magnified with social media degrading our projection of power by capturing our weaknesses for the jealous world.....society has to get back to listening to their instinct that something doesn't look right and allow the supremacy of law to act....and accept that an armed citizenry is a lawful citizenry and safer.

Prayers out to the church and survivors

Old 11-06-2017, 08:15   #8
Brush Okie
Area Commander

There were two real men that day. Notice the cops did not show up until well after the incident. This is not slam against LE it is the reality of rural living where you have to take matter in your own hand. I notice CNN says the gunman used an assault rifle but fail to mention what kind of rifle the good guy had. At least they are reporting the neighbor used a firearm to lessen the body count.

Quote:
...............................A witness, Johnnie Langendorff, said he was driving by the church on the way to his girlfriend's house when he saw gunfire between the shooter and the armed resident.
Langendorff told CNN affiliate KSAT he didn't get a good look at the shooter, other than he was dressed in all black. But the shooter was taking off and the armed resident "briefed me quickly on what had just happened and said we had to get him, and so that's what I did."
What we know about suspect Devin Patrick Kelley
What we know about suspect Devin Patrick Kelley
They gave chase in his truck for 11 miles and called police dispatch to tell them where they were and what direction they were headed.
"The vehicle was in sight and I was picking up, getting closer and closer to it. We hit about 95 (mph) ... trying to catch this guy until he eventually lost control on his own and went off into the ditch," Langendorff told the station.
"The gentleman that was with me got out and rested his rifle on my hood and kept it aimed at him (the shooter), telling him to get out. There was no movement, there was none of that. I just know his brake lights were going on and off, so he might've been unconscious from the crash or something like that. I'm not sure."
Langendorff felt the suspect, who crashed his pearl-colored Ford Explorer near the county line, "just gave up."
When police -- who arrived about five minutes later -- went to the suspect's vehicle, they found the gunman inside dead of a bullet wound. He was later identified as Devin Patrick Kelley............................................ .....

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/05/us/tex...ion/index.html

Old 11-06-2017, 09:10   #9
bblhead672
Guerrilla Chief

It has been reported that the killer's in-laws (ex in-laws?), and possibly his wife and daughter attend that church, but were not present yesterday morning.

Texas AG says this will happen again, and he's right. The Texas Legislature tried to overcome the private security lobby to allow church based security teams and were somewhat successful. However, churches in Texas are still not allowed to have official security teams that train together to protect the church, unless they are licensed private security companies and individuals.

The Baptist church I attend in Texas has no signage posted that keeps me from legally carrying my concealed handgun to church. I haven't been going to that church for very long and don't know if there are other TX Licensed to Carry members who are armed every Sunday, but I sure hope so.

A tragedy once again being exploited by the left to justify greater control of lawful citizens ownership of firearms.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:18   #10
bblhead672
Guerrilla Chief

FoxNews: Who is murderous dirtbag?

Hmmm....wasn't some other mass shooters known to have been heavily medicated as teenagers?
Quote:
Shocked former classmates who attended middle and high school with Texas church gunman described him Monday as being heavily medicated
Earlier reports said he was dressed "full battle gear". When did a skull mask become battle gear?
Quote:
dressed entirely in black and "wearing a face mask with a white skull on it
Quote:
He was court-martialed in 2012 for assaulting his wife and his child, and later received a bad conduct discharge from the Air Force, in addition to confinement for 12 months, and was reduced in rank.
Another tell?
Quote:
Records show Kelley was charged with cruelty to animals in August 2014

Old 11-06-2017, 11:43   #11
Agoge2
Area Commander

Unfortunately, in times like this when someone flips the switch to full-on violence, it comes out that "many" people saw the signs but refused to do anything because "Johnny was always like that. We didn't think anything of it." They never say, "Yeah, Johnny was a violent little devil that I always felt would end up doing this one day."

People are so pathetically self-involved that they will never do anything that doesn't affect their pathetic lives.

I'm just glad there was a neighbor who did what needed to be done and stopped the killing.

Last edited by Agoge2; 11-06-2017 at 11:49.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:13   #12
TWITCHY
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Pete,
I have the same questions. I have submitted several background forms for weapons purchases, but never thought much about them, as I have no concerns with the check. But, I assumed that they would actually investigate (check the background) of the answers that are provided. So, does this indicate that you can actually lie on the form and be okay, because they won't actually check the answers that have been provided? One would think that they automatically check for military history, especially for dishonorable discharge.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:14   #13
echoes
Area Commander

Fox news just reported that an 18 month old was the youngest victim.

Thoughts and Prayers out to all of those affected by this senseless tragedy.

Holly

Old 11-06-2017, 12:19   #14
Agoge2
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWITCHY View Post
Pete,
I have the same questions. I have submitted several background forms for weapons purchases, but never thought much about them, as I have no concerns with the check. But, I assumed that they would actually investigate (check the background) of the answers that are provided. So, does this indicate that you can actually lie on the form and be okay, because they won't actually check the answers that have been provided? One would think that they automatically check for military history, especially for dishonorable discharge.
Those forms are sort of like locks -- they are only effective for the "honest" person. The cheating dirtbag criminal has nothing to fear except not being able to purchase a weapon the "legal" way.

Those checks are only as good as the people who are responsible for entering the information after a persons convictions.

Remember, people are lazy....

Old 11-06-2017, 12:19   #15
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post

Hmmm....wasn't some other mass shooters known to have been heavily medicated as teenagers?

Another tell?

Despite "mainstream" medicine handing out psychiatric meds like Chiclets...there are some who see the trend of violence and suicide coming out of these emotional modifiers....

HERE

Quote:
When Andrew Thibault began to research the safety of a stimulant drug recommended to his son, he entered a rabbit hole he has yet to emerge from. After literally teaching himself code to decrypt the data on the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System website, he was able to cull 2000 pediatric fatalities from psychotropic medications, and 700 homicides. A Freedom of Information Act and a lawsuit later, he continues to struggle with redacted and suppressed information around 24 homicides directly connected to the use of psychotropics including the homicide by a 10 year old treated with Vyvanse of an infant. Another case, ultimately recovered, involved statements from a 35 year old perpetrator/patient, who murdered her own daughter, as directly implicating as “When I took nortriptyline, I immediately wanted to kill myself. I’d never had thoughts like that before”.

James Madison