Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 01-06-2017, 17:53   #1
PSM
Area Commander

Wife's Christmas gift to herself

Handgun wise, my wife is out to embarrass me. She bought this IZH M46 air pistol for herself. At lest I can shoot in the garage on cold days now! (Yeah, I prefer the heat to the cold. )

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IZH M46.jpg (36.2 KB, 104 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 18:47   #2
cbtengr
Area Commander

She's probably got the only in the neighborhood.
Old 01-06-2017, 18:53   #3
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
She's probably got the only in the neighborhood.
Well, it was in the neighborhood before she bought it. She bought it from a friend at the shooting club where she coaches. They have monthly competitions that she has joined. She never shot any gun until about 4 years ago.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 01-06-2017, 19:20   #4
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Well, it was in the neighborhood before she bought it. She bought it from a friend at the shooting club where she coaches. They have monthly competitions that she has joined. She never shot any gun until about 4 years ago.

Pat
It's one of those items that until your post I did not know existed, thanks for sharing.
Old 01-07-2017, 20:02   #5
Toaster
Guerrilla

Now that's a great idea. My wife likes her G43, but really only enjoys shooting because it's something that we can do together. Something to consider...

Air pistol is the most difficult shooting discipline according to Olympic Gold Medalist Lanny Bassham. It exposes how difficult properly pointing a gun, and moving only the trigger straight to the rear is.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 21:32   #6
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
And will show when you have no follow through
While I've only got a few pellets through it so far, what is the follow through?

(Info only: This gun weighs slightly more empty than my HK USPc .45 with 8+1 Mag)

Pat

Old 01-08-2017, 00:51   #7
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Follow through is how well you maintain sight alignment/sight picture after pulling the trigger. Air pistol and air rifle accentuate any errors in technique because the lower velocities increase "dwell time" of the pellet in the barrel and magnify the effects of any extraneous movement.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:22   #8
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Follow through is how well you maintain sight alignment/sight picture after pulling the trigger. Air pistol and air rifle accentuate any errors in technique because the lower velocities increase "dwell time" of the pellet in the barrel and magnify the effects of any extraneous movement.
Copy. This is the first single-shot pistol I've done. I'm used to "Bang, maintain focus on target, trigger reset, squeeze, bang"!

I was thinking that I had become unsteady as I aged but, watching some video of world class shooters, I see that their muzzles wiggle as much as mine. My guess is that they learn the rhythm of their heartbeat/breathing and know when to press the trigger. This trigger is so sensitive that a butterfly could sneeze on it and shoot the dog. It's my wife's pistol so I can't change anything to my liking. I'll just do that Kentucky thang.

Pat

Old 01-08-2017, 17:05   #9
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Copy. This is the first single-shot pistol I've done. I'm used to "Bang, maintain focus on target, trigger reset, squeeze, bang"!

I was thinking that I had become unsteady as I aged but, watching some video of world class shooters, I see that their muzzles wiggle as much as mine. My guess is that they learn the rhythm of their heartbeat/breathing and know when to press the trigger. This trigger is so sensitive that a butterfly could sneeze on it and shoot the dog. It's my wife's pistol so I can't change anything to my liking. I'll just do that Kentucky thang.

Pat
Good luck with that "Kentucky thang". It'll help you reach a plateau; but if you're interested in precision shooting, you'll stall out there. Personally, I've become resigned to a lesser standard; my eyes are past their prime. That and the Daisy 777 the wife got me for Christmas a few years ago isn't quite in the same class as your wife's pistol.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 22:00   #10
PSM
Area Commander

Reflecting on Peregrino and Okies's posts, I took a few shots this afternoon.

This card shows all of the shots I've made with this pistol since my wife got it. The blacked out ones were when aiming dead center last week. The marked ones are today. I shot single handed with free hand in pocket both eyes open. The one with the question mark was either the first or second shot but I wasn't focused at the time. This was at least 33' in the garage. My aim point, given the error in the blacked out shots, was bottom dead center of the black area. I think I'm going to have fun!

This gun weighs 2.4 lbs vs. my HK USPc .45 with 8+1 mag's 2.1 lbs.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ap target 1-8-17.jpg (37.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by PSM; 01-09-2017 at 00:27. Reason: typo correction
Old 01-09-2017, 07:02   #11
cbtengr
Area Commander

That thing really punches a tidy hole, you are gonna have a LOT of cheap fun there. Who did your wife get this for?
Old 01-09-2017, 09:41   #12
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
That thing really punches a tidy hole, you are gonna have a LOT of cheap fun there.
Plus no spent cartridges to police up and the used pellets drop neatly into a box on the floor. (Indoor range pic below. Target is below the red gas cans. )

Quote:
Who did your wife get this for?
She's new to this shootn' thang. My gun cabinet is a tool box, her's is a toy box. She's re-introduced me to the fun side of trigger pulling.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indoor AP range.jpg (40.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by PSM; 01-09-2017 at 15:10. Reason: Add pic
Old 01-09-2017, 10:04   #13
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Handgun wise, my wife is out to embarrass me. She bought this IZH M46 air pistol for herself. At lest I can shoot in the garage on cold days now! (Yeah, I prefer the heat to the cold. )

Pat
That's very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
I built a target/bullet trap out of a large box filled with foam for my sons to shoot their BB guns in the basement during the winter. We are using the NRA 5m air rifle target...

My older son struggles with trigger control and follow and I am working with him to maintain sight alignment after the shot. Sometimes it is hard to help him as his hits are all around the black and not in much of a group....

But that is why we practice.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 14:48   #14
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
trust your wobble and don't try to over control your firearm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V-TZtLDmm0

Yep. My coach told me it's "area aiming." Note that the gun never stops wobbling (and will never do with a heart beating behind it). There are times sight picture look absolutely awful and one would be convinced he'd hit the white or miss completely. Obviously the shots are x and 10 instead because:
- Optical illusion. What the eye perceives as total miss is actually a few 9mm width from the center.
- Due to lack of stability, with this type of marksmanship (unlike rifle) your shot calls are in the past. When bang occurs, it's no longer the picture you see.
Thus, trust your hold/wobble zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
My older son struggles with trigger control and follow and I am working with him to maintain sight alignment after the shot. Sometimes it is hard to help him as his hits are all around the black and not in much of a group....
this may sound absolutely utter nonsense. I thought so too when I was first introduced to it but bear with me. Sight alignment and trigger control, which is one is more important? (huh? is this a non sensical question?) Well, the answer is trigger control. Try this exercise with your son. Completely takes sight out of the picture (pun intended) and just have him squeeze the trigger with the gun low and he's not aiming it at all. Then have him close his eyes and feel the tension of the other fingers while the index is flexing. Keep focusing on that smooth, squeeze, uninterrupted, straight to the rear motion. few hundreds of those then back to the sights again. You may be surprised. The way our visual input influences the brain is remarkable. Do you ever see anyone flinch while holding the gun low and not aiming? Me neither. I've changed my coaching approach, introduced trigger long before sights, and got a lady doc shoot 3 rounds touching at 15 yards first time shooting m9!

There are tons more zen, jedi mind trick, and mental mantra for those crazy ragged hole at 50 yards, but I would go on and on until I get carpal tunnel from typing. When one gets it right, it looks like the tight 5 x's in a row (with 9mm) and 4 x's (with .45) at 50 yards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-12-30 16.25.49.jpg (41.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-08-20 18.53.15 HDR.jpg (61.8 KB, 18 views)

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 01-09-2017 at 15:35.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 18:25   #15
Toaster
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post

this may sound absolutely utter nonsense. I thought so too when I was first introduced to it but bear with me. Sight alignment and trigger control, which is one is more important? (huh? is this a non sensical question?) Well, the answer is trigger control. Try this exercise with your son. Completely takes sight out of the picture (pun intended) and just have him squeeze the trigger with the gun low and he's not aiming it at all. Then have him close his eyes and feel the tension of the other fingers while the index is flexing. Keep focusing on that smooth, squeeze, uninterrupted, straight to the rear motion. few hundreds of those then back to the sights again. You may be surprised. The way our visual input influences the brain is remarkable. Do you ever see anyone flinch while holding the gun low and not aiming? Me neither. I've changed my coaching approach, introduced trigger long before sights, and got a lady doc shoot 3 rounds touching at 15 yards first time shooting m9!

There are tons more zen, jedi mind trick, and mental mantra for those crazy ragged hole at 50 yards, but I would go on and on until I get carpal tunnel from typing. When one gets it right, it looks like the tight 5 x's in a row (with 9mm) and 4 x's (with .45) at 50 yards
Heresy...fortunately I know that you know what you're talking about, and some heresy can be good for the soul.

I might have heard something like this before, but I'd never given it a try.

With you shooting like that, you'd better be picking up that tab this summer.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote