Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 10-29-2015, 19:25   #1
Bleed Green
Guerrilla

ACOG Bible Verses

I could not find where this has been discussed anywhere so let me pose the question. After Trijicon got called out for making their ACOGs with bible verses as part of the serial numbers, what was ever done about the ones that were issued with the verses on them? Were they de-miled by Dremel or did they just leave them alone until they were replaced? I am pretty sure if I go into our armory I will find a lot of them with the verses on them but never heard what the military did after the story broke.
Old 10-29-2015, 23:04   #2
18XP
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Green View Post
I could not find where this has been discussed anywhere so let me pose the question. After Trijicon got called out for making their ACOGs with bible verses as part of the serial numbers, what was ever done about the ones that were issued with the verses on them? Were they de-miled by Dremel or did they just leave them alone until they were replaced? I am pretty sure if I go into our armory I will find a lot of them with the verses on them but never heard what the military did after the story broke.
Camber had a contract to Dremel the offending references off. No word whether an imam was employed to Bismillah them once they were modified.
18XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:48   #3
Bleed Green
Guerrilla

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction XP!
Old 10-30-2015, 15:52   #4
Toaster
Guerrilla

There was a message sent out for armorers to dremel out the bible verse and use a black touch up pen to cover up the bare metal. I haven't seen any that have still have the light of the world reference in the military stocks... though I'd much prefer mine to have it on there.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 21:41   #5
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18XP View Post
Camber had a contract to Dremel the offending references off.
What verses would be on them that could possibly be found to be "offending"?

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 10-30-2015 at 23:34.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 21:13   #6
CAARNG 68W
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
What verses would be on them that could possibly be found to be "offending"?

Pat
It's the Government, must've been, "Thou shall not steal".
CAARNG 68W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 22:15   #7
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocIllinois View Post
Deuteronomy 28:30-31,35 and/or 25:11-12, to name but two in an otherwise generally odious volume.

I have heard a few soldiers yell "goddamnit!" while attempting to use an ACOG. Perhaps they have units with these "verses" carved into them?
Are the actual verses engraved or just the Biblical references? If just the references, who really takes the time to ferret them out? If the sight puts the bullet where I want it, I don't care if it says Allahu Akbar. Grow up!

Pat

ETA:
Quote:
30. Thou shalt betroth a wife, and another man shall lie with her: thou shalt build an house, and thou shalt not dwell therein: thou shalt plant a vineyard, and shalt not gather the grapes thereof.

31. Thine ox shall be slain before thine eyes, and thou shalt not eat thereof: thine ass shallfbe violently taken away from before thy face, and shall not be restored to thee: thy sheep shall be given unto thine enemies, and thou shalt have none to rescue them.
Care to interpret this for us and explain how sad-sack Joes, casually glancing at their sight's serial number (which I do all the time ), know what it means if they are non-believers?

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 11-01-2015 at 22:38.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:32   #8
Bleed Green
Guerrilla

Good morning Pat. I checked mine at work last night and the end of my serial number is "MT5:15. MATTHEW 5:15 nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.

I guess I should have been offended last night but really wasn't. Now if only the rest of the world was not as easily offended.