Old 08-24-2015, 02:26   #1
nick54
Asset

qualifications for army SF

Just want to apologize in advance for the really long post.
My name's Nick I'm 20 years old. I've done alot of research pretty much since I was a little kid on joining the military. Probably a year ago is when I started seriously considering some sort of special operations career. Like navy EOD, army SF, seals, etc.
I've consulted many family members that are veterans on their opinion. I'm aware the pipeline for army SF is incredibly difficult, but my mentality really is just "they're not asking me to do anything impossible. It may be hard and I may have to push myself, but its not impossible."
I'm aware of all the qualifications for SF, I just would like to be the best fitting candidate and give it all I got.
Basically what I'm asking is, since they prefer you having some sort of college or some other advanced education, would it be seen as a plus if I was a licensed gunsmith when going? I'm looking to get my FFL license when I turn 21 and become a licensed gunsmith.

Also, I know you have to learn some other language in SF. ive bought Rosetta Stone and I'm trying to teach myself the Arabic language. But that will take atleast a couple years to become fluent. In the meantime I plan on getting into the best shape of my life.
Essentially, if I walk in as a 23 year old man or so being a licensed gunsmith, fluent in atleast one key language, and being in great shape, are my odds pretty good of completing the pipeline and graduating?

Thanks for any and all input/advice/pointers. I apologize for the really long post.
nick54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:10   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick54 View Post
......Essentially, if I walk in as a 23 year old man or so being a licensed gunsmith, fluent in atleast one key language, and being in great shape, are my odds pretty good of completing the pipeline and graduating?....
23 and a licensed gunsmith? Is that a two year or four year degree at you local college?

Fluent in at least one key language? Only counts if you get a rating on your records - and then only helps with your placement after you pass SFAS.

Read and search more for the next month.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:45   #3
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

First impressions are lasting.

Nick54 et al,

As with any professional organization, your ability to properly represent yourself during your first impression is extremely important. Grammar, capitalization, spelling, and conversational topics that you raise via posting all paint a picture of your ability and lack there of. The minimum standards needed to be successful in Special Forces are openly published both online and (especially) within this forum. This includes years of discussion that can be useful if they are only read. Reading is an individual event.

Pete has asked you to take the next month and read as much as you can here and elsewhere and I believe that is solid advice.

Blue.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:12   #4
nick54
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
Nick54 et al,
Grammar, capitalization, spelling, and conversational topics that you raise via posting all paint a picture of your ability and lack there of. .
I'm a bit confused what you're getting at with this, but okay.
I know all the minimum standards for SF I just wasn't completely certain being a gunsmith would really qualify as my additional education aside from high school. I'll keep on searching like I have been, thank you.
But yes, I should be able to get my gunsmith license in a couple years in my area when I turn 21.

Thanks for your help guys, it's much appreciated.

Last edited by nick54; 08-24-2015 at 06:32.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:48   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Brand new members who almost immediately start new threads tend to not be the sort of people we are looking for.

I agree with Pete. More searching and reading would teach you more than starting new threads and asking questions. I do not think that was a request, BTW.

As to the odds of completing the pipeline and graduating, your knowledge of firearms repair and a foreign language, and to some extent, even your physical fitness are less important than what is in your head and heart. Many PT studs leave SFAS every class, while less fit people manage to get selected. That theme is reflected in many posts on this site that you should search for and read before posting again.

Make sure that you also read "A Message to Garcia" during your research sabbatical.

As far as your grammar and spelling go, as stated, first impressions are lasting ones, and yours does not reflect someone who takes the time to get it right. Blue explained that already, do you not understand the instruction, or do you just not care?

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:06   #6
nick54
Asset

Talking

I apologize for not reading more. I have alot of veterans in my family and I treat them in particular with high levels of respect, so i dont mean to come off as rude. I'm just confused why my grammar and spelling is deemed inappropriate or ignorant?
Through my searching online, I didn't find much in regards to if a gunsmith career prior to enlisting would be helpful as a Weapons Sgt in particular. I've done some more research for that question specifically, and I believe I have the answer. I'm aware alot of things within the military are mental, espically a special forces type career. The ability to push ones self.

Again, my apologies for not reading more in the beginning. I'm a member of another gun forum and I know what it's like to have new people wander in and ask questions.

I believe all my questions have been answered thus far. Thank you all for your input, and sorry for jumping the gun and making a post. Have a good day everyone, thanks.

Respectfully,

Nick

Last edited by nick54; 08-24-2015 at 10:25.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:20   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick54 View Post
I'm just confused why my grammar and spelling is deemed inappropriate or ignorant.
Let me break this down for you.

We are looking for people who are self-starters and who do not have to be told to do something more than once.

We are looking for people who are above average in intelligence.

We are looking for people who pay attention to details.

We are looking for people who have mastered their native language. It is very difficult to teach an additional language to someone who does not fully understand their own.

We are not looking for people who cannot follow instructions, who are argumentative, who are sloppy, or who leave negative impressions.

There are cadre members and SF personnel of all ranks on here. You never know when your paths may cross again, and it is not that difficult to figure out who you really are.

Stop posting, search, read, and do not post again until at least 24 Sep 15. Spend that time educating yourself. That is not a request either.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote