Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 06-29-2015, 21:05   #1
Rippin
Asset

Group Life/Team Life

I tried searching the site for some information but haven't found anything yet. My question pertains to what life is like being a member of a group. I feel like there is plenty of information on what to expect in terms of training and deployments but what is life like when you are not deployed. Is it 24/7 training?, do members from the group get together on weekends and break out the Harley's? That's two questions but that is the type of information I'd be interested in hearing about.

If there is a thread already on the site that answers these questions if anyone could link it that would be great.

Thanks.
Rippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 23:58   #2
JGC2
Quiet Professional

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to your question, as every Group is different and within them each Bn/Co/ODA is also different. Add on top of that the nebulous nature of our diverse operating environments and the resultant unpredictability of our mission and training requirements, and "down time" never looks the same in any two places.

However, I am pretty positive most of us would agree on two things. The bond between teammates, former and current, is very deep and being on an ODA is the best job in the world.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:17   #3
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Never met anyone in my time on the team that was there for the off time.

I think you are going about your research all wrong. What is important you YOU? Family? Friends? Guns? Harley's? Women? A cool looking green fuzzy hat?

SFAS may be difficult if you cannot prioritize properly.

As JGC2 wrote, Team Time is the best time you'll ever spend.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol

Last edited by blue02hd; 06-30-2015 at 07:19.
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:12   #4
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC2 View Post
...being on an ODA is the best job in the world.
Believe it. The further you get from an ODA more the suck, and I am not talking about the type of suck you embrace in training. I know this from experience so get on a team and stay on the team until you can't any longer. When you drag the team down, it is time to go to the B or C team, if you are squared away.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 20:17   #5
Rippin
Asset

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'm not sure I asked my question appropriately. I can understand how there wouldn't be a one size fits all answer. I'm not concerned with off time. More interested in the camaraderie and the brotherhood. Some of you mentioned the bond between teammates and team time. If anyone could speak more about team time and what that could look like.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2015, 20:43   #6
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Rippin, I'll ask again. What is important to YOU?

Old 06-30-2015, 21:20   #7
Rippin
Asset

Brotherhood and sense of belonging are important to me.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:23   #8
Joker
Quiet Professional

You will find both on a team, but you will have to earn it to get there.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:19   #9
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

It's worth it, go get it.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:16   #10
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

As others have already said, there is no other place were you will find the spirit of the "Musketeers" more prevalent. (All for one and one for all!)

Team members will come and go, sure, but the ODA is stronger than the blood ties of a family. Unless you are an outcast or spell individual with a capital "I". No room on a team for "individualist" but each individual is the strongest or weakest link in the team.

What you do with your time off or who you spend it with is up to you, but you better have a death in the family when the TS says - Team party, my house, Saturday at 11:00-UTC and you're not there...it's not just the "person" but the whole family that's part of a team. So your SO or children if (when) you have them are part of that too. They need to be ready to be adopted as well.

Team time - (18D humor alert) What happens on the team stays in the team, cradle the sack, stroke the shaft, and check your buddy for leaches, parasites, and that unexplained discomfort protruding from... After six-months you will know more about the other team members than their mothers do/did or can remember.

Again, you have to succeed to find success.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote