Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 01-21-2015, 20:39   #1
69stang
SF Candidate

Silver Browning 9mm Pistol

I was watching a show called Secrets of the Arsenal the other night and they showed a Special Forces SSG from Vietnam who was given a silver Browning 9mm hi point in a display case for his time as a recon patrol leader in SOG. I didn't catch the guys name as I came into the show late but he stated that the pistol itself was top secret and he couldn't show it to anybody for years.

Now that it's been declassified, is there any more information on these? I did a number of searches and didn't find anything on this forum and only one decent google hit.

I'm not a real good shot, but this gun uses really big bullets
-Hellboy
69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 21:37   #2
mark46th
Quiet Professional

The Browning 9MM was part of the uniform of the day for a Vietnam era SF soldier. A Rolex and a star sapphire ring completed the bling... I haven't heard of a silver pistol.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:12   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69stang View Post
I was watching a show called Secrets of the Arsenal the other night and they showed a Special Forces SSG from Vietnam who was given a silver Browning 9mm hi point in a display case for his time as a recon patrol leader in SOG. I didn't catch the guys name as I came into the show late but he stated that the pistol itself was top secret and he couldn't show it to anybody for years.

Now that it's been declassified, is there any more information on these? I did a number of searches and didn't find anything on this forum and only one decent google hit.

You probably spotted a Browning Hi Power, HP35. The MACV/SOG crowd had access to all sorts of non-standard foreign weapons, plus some other people.

The Browning goes way back. It was and still may be issue to Canadian, Brits, Oz, and a couple other services. It is a 9MM, designed by John Browning in 1923 and had a 13 round Mag. There was also an Artillery model with a large rear sight and wood stock. I think it was designed for France, as they had tiny hands and could not fire the 1911??

Browning is the same fellow that designed the 1911 for the US.

These non-standard weapons could be taken home if the individual filed the appropriate "reregistration of war trophy" paper work DD form 603. I brought a brand new in cosmoline, Chi-Com 7.62 Type 52/54, which is the same as the Russian TT33. I re-leaved it from a Chinese officer trying to sneak into Viet Nam via Cambodia.

The only caveat was it had to be made outside the USA and could not be fully automatic,,, and the 1st Sgt liked you...

When guys rotated back to the real world, the teams would give going away trophies. If, I say IF it was specially marked with an engraved raid or operation, it may have had some security attached, but I doubt it.

Along with the Star Sapphire & Rolex,, you also needed a CISO/SOG Recon Knife by Ben Baker and Olympus PEN EE camera.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hiprower01.jpg (6.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg SOG_Knife.jpg (20.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg BHP03.jpg (88.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg BHP02.jpg (68.5 KB, 68 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:41   #4
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Unlike today, when Green Berets now require a Yarlborough, Harley, beard, and Facebook account.

Times be a changing.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:15   #5
69stang
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
You probably spotted a Browning Hi Power, HP35.
Yes, Hi Power, that's what I meant to type. I did some further digging on this and found a .pdf file on the display ones I saw.

http://www.ultimatesniper.com/Histor...ver-Pistol.PDF

-Hellboy
Old 01-22-2015, 07:25   #6
69stang
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
Unlike today, when Green Berets now require a Yarlborough, Harley, beard, and Facebook account.

Times be a changing.
I need a Harley now? The wife is going to love that....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57488698.jpg (126.0 KB, 85 views)

-Hellboy
Old 01-22-2015, 08:40   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69stang View Post

I'm betting Ambush Master knows...... Hell it might have been him!
Old 01-23-2015, 14:07   #8
Javadrinker
Guerrilla

Robert J. Graham
Javadrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:59   #9
pcfixer
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javadrinker View Post
Robert J. Graham
Yes. Just watched the show this morning. MACV/SOG captured the head cook that
at first was a joke according the account on TV. Later they found out he knew
positions, numbers etc of the enemy.

Sure one nice firearm.
pcfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 22:23   #10
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I'm betting Ambush Master knows...... Hell it might have been him!
It wasn't me. I did get a Chrome Plated and Engraved Bananna Knife. I do know several folks that did get the Nickle Plated Brownings though. I personally carried one into country then declared it a "War Trophy" and brought it home!! Still have it!!

Later
Martin