Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 01-10-2015, 14:18   #1
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Win 308 vs Win 7mm

I am looking at getting a new bolt gun and have always wanted a Winchester Model 70.

I have decided on getting a Model 70 Super Grade Bolt action rifle. My Delema is deciding on 7mm vs Win 308.

I probaly will only be shooting 200-500 yds but want the ability to reach out at longer ranges. Being out here in the wide open SW I may need to do some real long shots.

It has been a while since I have looked at a new hunting rifle so here I am. I have a few rifles in 308 but have always thought a 7mm would be a good round.

What say you? Pro's and Con's for each would be appreciated.

SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 15:07   #2
Rob_Frey
Guerrilla

Are you thinking about getting the 7mm-08?
Rob_Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 15:30   #3
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

You gonna be shooting 150's?
Old 01-10-2015, 15:53   #4
craigepo
Quiet Professional

You are in 7mm mag country out there. Load 120's for smaller stuff, load it up for elk size.

I have both, like them both. If I could only have one bolt gun, it would be the 7mm mag.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 15:56   #5
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Frey View Post
Are you thinking about getting the 7mm-08?
Yes that is the round.
Old 01-10-2015, 16:00   #6
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
You are in 7mm mag country out there. Load 120's for smaller stuff, load it up for elk size.

I have both, like them both. If I could only have one bolt gun, it would be the 7mm mag.
That is what I have been thinking of. I do have some other bolt guns in 308.

Cost is one thing I have been looking at but after you get your loads worked out you do not have that much cost. If I want to just blow rounds I will use another gun and office ammo
Old 01-10-2015, 16:44   #7
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

I'm confused. Are you talking about 7mm Rem Mag or 7mm-08?
Old 01-10-2015, 17:03   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

From a bolt gun, the .308 will do almost anything the 7mm Rem Mag will, for less money and with a longer barrel life.

Hunting bullets in these calibers are not designed to expand well below a certain velocity, and you MIGHT get another 100 meters or so at extreme range with the 7mm Mag. IMHO, those are ranges where very few of us should be shooting at game animals.

If you are not reloading, the 7mm Rem Mag is going to hurt your wallet.

To me, if you are considering a 7mm RM you might also consider the .300 Win Mag. The 7-08, the 6.5s, .260, .270, .280, and 284 could also be in the same range, and the .30-'06 is probably King.

What are you hunting, and at what ranges can you reliably drop the animal with the round you choose?

If you are on a hunting trip and walk into a hardware store in the middle of nowhere, I would bet that you can probably find .30-'06, .308, and .30-30 loads on the shelf. The others, like the 7mm Rem Mag, maybe not.

Me? I would go with the 308. Just my.02. YMMV.

TR

P.S.- The 7-08 is a good round, lighter recoiling because of the lighter bullets, and flatter shooting. It is a little harder to find ammo for. The .308 will use much heavier bullets and launch them farther, and would be a better choice for larger game, IMHO. Both are great rounds and I love the Model 70.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025

Last edited by The Reaper; 01-10-2015 at 17:05. Reason: Thought the discussion was 7mm Rem Mag vs. .308 Win. Sorry. TR
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 17:21   #9
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I recommend giving some consideration to 7mm WSM. It'll handle bullets up to 175gr (match), has a short action, does not use a belted case, and has some ballistic and practical advantages for hand loaders. I'm very happy with the ones I've shot which is why my gunsmith is working up a W70 in 7mm WSM for me. The entire family of WSM cartridges is underrated because after the initial hype, most people with established collections in the "standard" cartridges went "Ho hum" and lost interest because they don't appear to be a quantum improvement. For someone who has not already committed to the belted magnums, they can be a fantastic option. They ARE a quantum advancement over anything based on a .308 or 30-06 case and from a holistic perspective I believe they have significant advantages over the belted magnums. If I hadn't already had a R700 LA my father gave me (started life as a 7mm RUM - stupid expensive to shoot) and 1400 rounds of 300WM brass, I would never have built a 300 WM rifle; I'd have gone straight to the WSMs.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 17:48   #10
MR2
Quiet Professional

Long thoughtful reply deleted by unnecessarily short Forum timeout. n||m

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 18:01   #11
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

If you're shooting 150's in a 7mm Rem Mag out to 500 yards, you may as well stick with .308. Only a few clicks difference on your elevation dial.
At 1000, my Brother used to outshoot me rat reglar with this 7mm.
Old 01-10-2015, 21:25   #12
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I'm confused. Are you talking about 7mm Rem Mag or 7mm-08?
Sorry for the confusion. The Mod 70 comes in 7mm-08 Rem

Here is the gun. http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...218&mid=535203

Everyone are bringing up good points. The cost of ammo is not going to be a factor but availabity is if we ge into a shortage again of ammo.

I like the long range specs and match specs for the 7mm-08
But the 308 is what all of my other long guns have. I got rid of my all but 1 9mm pistol in the quest to reduce my requirement to have multi types of ammo.

Looking at elk and goats from 300-500 meters.

TR good points on what rounds will be on the shelf out in the country side. Had not thought of that yet. The 30-06 and 308 are looking better from that aspect.

Keep the comments coming they are knocking out the cobwebs and getting me to think about other aspects...
Old 01-10-2015, 21:56   #13
Flagg
Area Commander

I like the 7mm-08.

A few of my peers have them and really rate it as a caliber for meat hunting way down here.

But I am in a "12 step program" to reduce calibers in the armory to a more realistic number.

I reckon even with reloading it's still another set of dies/recipes and shooting dope to deal with.

Even though I'm really passionate about and enjoy hunting/shooting, I am all about "economy of effort" with the toolbox.

Especially when I might be reaching the point soon of having fewer days left than I've had so far.

I think if the performance difference was far greater between the two I would look harder at it as being worth the incremental work required.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 22:51   #14
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Looking at elk and goats from 300-500 meters.
Man, those elk suck up lead. Goats, I've never shot one, but I've heard they are very heavy boned.

I put a 150 grain .308 round through both of a bull elk's lung's. Took two more shots to put him down. When I dressed him, the bullet (Sierra game king) had mushroomed perfectly, and put a hole the size of a Skoal can through the lungs. The problem is, an elk's lungs together are about the size of a car hood. I had effectively only given him a slight case of pneumonia.

If you get on youtube, you can take a look at some of the 1000-yard shots guys are pulling on elk with 7mm mags. The ballsitic coefficient of the 7mm is just out of this world. If you get the muzzle velocity above 3000 fps, it is one of the best long range rifles you'll find.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:32   #15
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

You've got and have had plenty of .308's. Might be time to max out another round...