Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 09-30-2014, 21:26   #1
Sdiver
Area Commander

Gov. Jerry Brown signs California gun restriction

... and another emotional, knee jerk reaction from the progressive libs, picking away bit by bit at the 2nd Amendment.

Quote:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California will become the first state that allows family members to ask a judge to remove firearms from a relative who appears to pose a threat, under legislation Gov. Jerry Brown said Tuesday he had signed.

The bill was proposed by several Democrats and responds to a deadly rampage in May near the University of California, Santa Barbara.

Supporters had said such a measure could have prevented the attacks, winning out over critics who said it would erode gun rights.

Law enforcement authorities in Connecticut, Indiana and Texas can seek a judge's order allowing them to seize guns from people they deem to be a danger.

The new California law gives law enforcement the same option and extends it to family members.

It continues California's efforts to lead the nation in preventing firearm injury and death, said Amanda Wilcox, an advocate for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, whose daughter was a victim of gun violence.

The greatest effect might be in preventing suicides or intervening where there is a history of domestic violence, she said.

"It's hard to know how much it will be used or how much it will prevent," Wilcox said. "It only takes avoiding one loss for this to be worth it."

Lawmakers approved the bill by Democratic Assembly members Nancy Skinner of Berkeley and Das Williams of Santa Barbara amid pleas that they act after the May 23 attack in which six people were fatally stabbed or shot and 13 others wounded in the community of Isla Vista.

Relatives of the victims and other supporters of the bill said the parents of 22-year-old Elliot Rodger were thwarted in their attempts to seek help for their troubled son before the rampage.

Weeks earlier, his parents had his therapist contact Santa Barbara County mental health officials. Sheriff's deputies talked to Rodger but never entered his apartment or checked to see if he owned guns.

They decided he was not a threat to himself or others and took no further action.

Rodger later wrote that had deputies searched his room, they might have found guns that police said he used to shoot three people after stabbing to death three others. Rodger killed himself while being pursued by police.

Under the California bill, whoever seeks the restraining order would have to sign an affidavit under oath. If they lie, they could be charged with a misdemeanor.

A court hearing would be held within 14 days after the restraining order is granted to give the gun owner a chance to argue there is no danger.

Republican lawmakers and some Democrats voted against the measure, known as AB1014.

In Rodger's case, there is no evidence his parents or anyone treating him knew he had weapons. That prompted Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson, D-Santa Barbara, to introduce a related bill that would require law enforcement to develop policies that encourage officers to search the state's database of gun purchases as part of routine welfare checks. That bill, SB505, also was signed by the governor.

Brown's signing of the bills "helped to honor the life of my son, Christopher, and so many others killed by senseless gun violence," said Richard Martinez, father of Isla Vista shooting victim Christopher Ross Michaels-Martinez and an advocate for the group Everytown for Gun Safety.

"Nothing we can do will bring back Christopher, but I'm confident this new law will help save lives and prevent other families from experiencing this same kind of tragedy. States around the country should be exploring this life-saving measure," he said in a statement about the restraining order legislation.

Currently in California, authorities can seize legally purchased guns only from people convicted of a felony or a violent misdemeanor, people subject to a domestic violence restraining order, or those who are determined to be mentally unstable.

The National Rifle Association and other gun-rights groups opposed the restraining order legislation.

"Our concern is not so much what they intended to do; our concern is with the method they put in place to address people with mental or emotional issues," said Sam Paredes, executive director of Gun Owners of California. "We think this just misses the mark and may create a situation where law-abiding gun owners are put in jeopardy."

http://news.yahoo.com/gov-jerry-brow...195626557.html
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 21:52   #2
mugwump
Area Commander

I've slept on an apartment floor, refusing to leave, while waiting for "danger to himself or others" paperwork to go through. It wasn't a pleasant experience but preferable to going to another young vet's funeral. I've been to two.

I'm sensitive to 2A "nose of the camel" arguments but sometimes people are just out of control and have to be restrained. Witnessing a manic episode in a young man with bipolar disorder will change your mind on getting firearms..and axes and softball bats and ice picks...out of some folk's hands, and quickly.

I know it's not a popular position here, but there you go.

My biggest problem with the gun grabbers' agenda is that it makes it difficult to support common sense proposals, knowing it's just a stratagem for the next phase.

“Klaatu barada nikto”
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 21:59   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

Although it may not be a popular position with the NRA, I'm not too adverse to the idea of being able to petition the courts to review and, if necessary, remove the weapons from my proverbial "crazy uncles" grasp.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 22:02   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Although it may not be a popular position with the NRA, I'm not too adverse to the idea of being able to petition the courts to review and, if necessary, remove the weapons from my proverbial "crazy uncles" grasp.

Richard
What do you think they should do with his weapons if he returns to normal?

Should we take away his right to vote at the same time?

His drivers license?

How about his First and Fifth Amendment rights?

Should he be allowed to buy gasoline?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 22:12   #5
Box
Quiet Professional

Here's an idea...

When people commit a violent crime, put them in jail.
...a REAL fucking jail, not one thta has internet and cable TV and a nicer gym than some army units have access to and food that is better than what service members are served while deployed

Put motherfuckers in a no-shit raped in the ass stabbed in the liver with an ice pick escape from new york jail cell

Or we could just put people on house arrest because they look guilty and continue to pass feel good legislation that doesn't stop crime...
...as long as we only do it to middle aged, middle class white males. Otherwise it would be profiling.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:11   #6
Mills
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
Here's an idea...

When people commit a violent crime, put them in jail.
...a REAL fucking jail, not one thta has internet and cable TV and a nicer gym than some army units have access to and food that is better than what service members are served while deployed

Put motherfuckers in a no-shit raped in the ass stabbed in the liver with an ice pick escape from new york jail cell

Or we could just put people on house arrest because they look guilty and continue to pass feel good legislation that doesn't stop crime...
...as long as we only do it to middle aged, middle class white males. Otherwise it would be profiling.
Enough of your in sensitivities and intolerance.

Criminals are people too. We need to give them skills to re-enter society with so that they don't continue down the criminal path.
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:27   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills View Post
Enough of your in sensitivities and intolerance.

Criminals are people too. We need to give them skills to re-enter society with so that they don't continue down the criminal path.

You're right. I apologize.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:31   #8
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills View Post
Too bad there aren't any shop classes left ....

Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 13:13   #9
Pete
Quiet Professional

So

So those who vote Republican, don't agree with man made global warming and believe in the right to own guns are crazy.

Knock, Knock, Knock. I'm here to take the crazy person's guns.

Ah, forgot to include all those with PTSD.

Once a law or program is passed it will end up where the powers that be want it to.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 13:19   #10
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
So those who vote Republican, don't agree with man made global warming and believe in the right to own guns are crazy.

Knock, Knock, Knock. I'm here to take the crazy person's guns.

Ah, forgot to include all those with PTSD.

Once a law or program is passed it will end up where the powers that be want it to.
I concur. Once a law is passed it means whatever the "powers" want it to mean. Plus the reverse is also true. They can choose to NOT enforce a law just because they dont agree with it.
Old 10-01-2014, 19:25   #11
mojaveman
Area Commander

"who appears to pose a threat"?

I'm very curious as to what can be interpreted as posing a threat.

Yelling at your wife? Getting mad and kicking something? Talking trash about a politician? Having a few too many beers?
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:36   #12
Box
Quiet Professional

I'm just waiting for the national "We told you so" law to pass. Thats the one that will eventually sneak up on everyone who says "that could never happen in America"

...the law that makes the duck hunters realize that gun control wasn't about keeping rednecks from owning an AR-15
...the law that puts Bill Maher in jail because he said he wouldn't turn in his (hypocritically owned) firearms
...the one that puts people in jail for speaking out against the gubmint

Probably nothing to worry about though because that could never happen here in America...
...we're all to well informed to not see it coming.

Last edited by Box; 10-03-2014 at 03:07.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:46   #13
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
...the law that puts Bill Maher in jail because he said he would turn in his (hypocritically owned) firearms
I remember hearing about that interview. He said he doesn't love guns. He merely views them as antibiotics - good to have in case of an emergency. Maybe one day he'll take his gun orally. Too bad he doesn't view guns as enemas, though.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:27   #14
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Too bad there aren't any shop classes left ....

The inmates have dumped the "shop classes" in favor of "jihad" classes.

Now most inmates are looking to "better" themselves through islam & sharia law.

Beheading 101 is also being taught, advanced classes include VBIED's and IED placement.
Old 10-02-2014, 15:33   #15
Badger52
Area Commander

This will be Lautenberg on steroids, with spouses tip-toeing on eggshells as soon as their cranky half or other relative realizes all they have to do is "see something say something sign something." This cuts both ways.

Due process? "We made a law; that IS the due process."
Paved with good intentions indeed.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote