Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 05-27-2014, 17:50   #1
bg_
Asset

Future of SF in Afghanistan

I don't post often, but in light of the president's statements today, do you think that SF will continue to have a role in country beyond the proposed 2016 "final withdrawal" date? Are SOF numbers typically factored into the proposed amount of forces? At the risk of sounding young and naive, I'm weary of what life will be like as a cherry 18x with no potential deployments on the radar?
bg_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 18:14   #2
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg_ View Post
I don't post often, but in light of the president's statements today, do you think that SF will continue to have a role in country beyond the proposed 2016 "final withdrawal" date? Are SOF numbers typically factored into the proposed amount of forces? At the risk of sounding young and naive, I'm weary of what life will be like as a cherry 18x with no potential deployments on the radar?

I think you need pursue a different career path if you haven't even attempted SFAS and you're already weary of political masters dictating your access to entertainment opportunities. Personally, I'm wary of know-nothings whose only commitment to the Regiment is "how much "game" can I get on?".
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 18:24   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
President Kennedy is rolling in his grave.

Quote:
And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.

My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.

Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the world, ask of us the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God's work must truly be our own.
What do you have to offer The Regiment, bg?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 18:27   #4
fred111
Quiet Professional

What do you have to offer The Regiment, bg?

Answer: Nothing!!!
fred111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 18:41   #5
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Quick bg!! Delete your post!! Maybe no one will have noticed,,,,

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 19:33   #6
bg_
Asset

Ducking!

All,

Roger, a fucking stupid post with all-to appropriate responses.

Back to PT, reading more, and posting none.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:31   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

you're not getting off that easy BG...

You made the post, so lets see what you have to say:

... in light of the president's statements how do YOU see the role of US Special Forces in Afghanistan?

...what exactly did you think you would be doing if the POTUS speech was different?

If you are going to SF so you go deploy to Afghanstan and get your gun on, please god I pray, QUIT NOW.
There are enough clowns in the Regiment already that just want to "deploy" so they can get their gun on. It's that fucking "get my gun on" attitude that has put us in the fucking stew we are in now.

so, some of these folks have asked you questions,
what do you have to offer?
what do you think an SF guy really does?
what makes you think there are no deployments to go on?

...lets go, make with some answers or unplug your keyboard
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:52   #8
bg_
Asset

Billy L-bach,

Gladly, I just didn't want to step on my dick anymore than I already had. In light of the President's statements, I see the role of SF in Afghanistan as transitioning from a combat-based UW/DA mission, to a more traditional model of FID (albeit I presume FID has been a focus for a while), with the caveat of a continuing CT mission against remnants of al Qaeda.

"Here's how we will pursue those objectives. First, America's combat mission will be over by the end of this year. Starting next year, Afghans will be fully responsible for securing their country. American personnel will be in an advisory role. We will no longer patrol Afghan cities or towns, mountains or valleys. That is a task for the Afghan people.

Second, I've made it clear that we're open to cooperating with Afghans on two narrow missions after 2014: training Afghan forces and supporting counterterrorism operations against the remnants of al Qaeda."

As far as what I think I would be doing differently had the president's speech been different, nothing, sir. I will be continuing the same path regardless of the current state of affairs in Afghanistan or any other country. I believe the intent of my original statement, wrongly, came off as wanting to "get some," and for this I apologize. I was merely attempting, (albeit waaaay prematurely) to probe the reality that should I make it to a team, i'll be an SF baby swimming in a sea of combat veterans, and to how I could best contribute in said situation (getting WAY ahead of myself. Tracking 25m target.)

REPEAT, I am NOT looking to "get my gun on." I am looking to serve and contribute to my highest capacity and then some...in whatever that may entail. Going to/not going to Afghanistan (or any other country) is irrelevant, and was never a factor in my decision to enlist. That said, I've read of the frustration many soldiers face in a post-war/downsizing army, and I was curious what the BTDT's thought about the opportunities to do your job in said situations. Surely many of you have served through these periods and could enlighten a young know-nothing like myself.

However, make no mistake, I am fucking THRILLED about the prospect of serving, let alone on a team, in any capacity...peacetime or not. I'm not shying away from the challenge of being the new guy...I'm embracing it and very much looking forward to proving myself.

As for what I have to offer, I'm not sure there is a way to answer this question without coming off as ignorant/arrogant/naive...but fuck it. I'm bringing an analytical mind, a thirst for knowledge, a do-whatever-it-takes attitude, and god willing a physically capable body. Beyond that, I'll adapt, improvise, and overcome as the situation calls for.
What does SF really do? SF tasks are formally laid out on the front page of this website, as well as in the numerous threads throughout the forums. I recognize the AO for such tasks is worldwide, 24/7/365.

Sorry for this long post and my asinine initial post. Wont happen again.

Last edited by bg_; 05-28-2014 at 06:53. Reason: spacing clusterfuck
Old 05-28-2014, 07:02   #9
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
All,

Back to PT, reading more, and posting none.
IMHO...I don't think it will help.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:03   #10
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Billy L-bach,

Gladly, I just didn't want to step on my dick anymore than I already had. In light of the President's statements, I see the role of SF in Afghanistan as transitioning from a combat-based UW/DA mission, to a more traditional model of FID (albeit I presume FID has been a focus for a while), with the caveat of a continuing CT mission against remnants of al Qaeda.

"Here's how we will pursue those objectives. First, America's combat mission will be over by the end of this year. Starting next year, Afghans will be fully responsible for securing their country. American personnel will be in an advisory role. We will no longer patrol Afghan cities or towns, mountains or valleys. That is a task for the Afghan people.

Second, I've made it clear that we're open to cooperating with Afghans on two narrow missions after 2014: training Afghan forces and supporting counterterrorism operations against the remnants of al Qaeda."

As far as what I think I would be doing differently had the president's speech been different, nothing, sir. I will be continuing the same path regardless of the current state of affairs in Afghanistan or any other country. I believe the intent of my original statement, wrongly, came off as wanting to "get some," and for this I apologize. I was merely attempting, (albeit waaaay prematurely) to probe the reality that should I make it to a team, i'll be an SF baby swimming in a sea of combat veterans, and to how I could best contribute in said situation (getting WAY ahead of myself. Tracking 25m target.)

REPEAT, I am NOT looking to "get my gun on." I am looking to serve and contribute to my highest capacity and then some...in whatever that may entail. Going to/not going to Afghanistan (or any other country) is irrelevant, and was never a factor in my decision to enlist. That said, I've read of the frustration many soldiers face in a post-war/downsizing army, and I was curious what the BTDT's thought about the opportunities to do your job in said situations. Surely many of you have served through these periods and could enlighten a young know-nothing like myself.

However, make no mistake, I am fucking THRILLED about the prospect of serving, let alone on a team, in any capacity...peacetime or not. I'm not shying away from the challenge of being the new guy...I'm embracing it and very much looking forward to proving myself.

As for what I have to offer, I'm not sure there is a way to answer this question without coming off as ignorant/arrogant/naive...but fuck it. I'm bringing an analytical mind, a thirst for knowledge, a do-whatever-it-takes attitude, and god willing a physically capable body. Beyond that, I'll adapt, improvise, and overcome as the situation calls for.
What does SF really do? SF tasks are formally laid out on the front page of this website, as well as in the numerous threads throughout the forums. I recognize the AO for such tasks is worldwide, 24/7/365.

Sorry for this long post and my asinine initial post. Wont happen again.
Hmmmm.... Not speaking for my Brothers, but I think that's a good start.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:29   #11
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...with no potential deployments on the radar?
Don't worry yourself. Assuming you ever make it to an ODA, there are ALWAYS deployments and there are ALWAYS places that are hot.

The world isn't going to get any prettier in the coming decades. Assuming you make it through the pipeline, you'll get your turn. Be careful about what you wish for. You'll likely get it... in spades.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:48   #12
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
However, make no mistake, I am fucking THRILLED about the prospect of serving, let alone on a team, in any capacity...peacetime or not.
It all makes sense now...
Thanks
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 16:55   #13
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

OK. I'll hijack the thread to give it usefulness.

All this talk about the President's speech has me a little vermklempt.

I'll give you a topic:

Rumor has it that another SEAL will take USSOCOM after M4 retires. The Army GO we thought was taking the reigns will be the deputy CO.

Discuss.
Old 05-28-2014, 19:50   #14
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

I'll add my own .02 cents to the thread only because I liked the fact that the young'in accepted the challenge. All of us...even us old guys put our foot in our mouth at some point...the important thing is to know when to stop sticking it in deeper and correct the problem. As to your question...long before 9/11, we were deploying around the world doing our job...long after Afghanistan slips from the public consciousness, we'll be deploying around the world doing our job. Good luck to you.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 21:04   #15
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
I'll add my own .02 cents to the thread only because I liked the fact that the young'in accepted the challenge. All of us...even us old guys put our foot in our mouth at some point...the important thing is to know when to stop sticking it in deeper and correct the problem. As to your question...long before 9/11, we were deploying around the world doing our job...long after Afghanistan slips from the public consciousness, we'll be deploying around the world doing our job. Good luck to you.
Remember when many fellas back at Group would not join the CIF because -- at the time -- it did not go to the "sandbox"? The CIF had a huge recruiting problem at the time as a result. Those guys wanted "in the fight". So, they remained in the regular SF companies to increase their chances to deploy to war. Some even went as far as switching SF Groups to guarantee a trip to A-Stan. I understand the mentality, and I don't knock it.