Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 03-31-2014, 21:34   #1
futureSOF
Asset

Another Clearance Question

I'm in the process of enlisting with the hopes of getting an 18x contract and have already taken my ASVABs and got an AFQT score of 93 and GT of 129. My problem lies in my past. This isn't necessarily another "I did ____ will I get a clearance?", its slightly more nuanced than that but can probably be answered (if that makes sense). I've searched for all of the relevant terms but have had no luck.

During my freshman year of college (2 years ago) I got into some trouble and had three alcohol violations and had to do some classes and see a counselor as a result. They were all handled by the school and not the police, except for a urinating in public citation which the recruiter told me would not be a problem. As I was filling out my packet the recruiters told me that because the incidents were not handled by the police to just leave them off. This was done under the pretense that they may or may not come up during the clearance process but would otherwise be fine, and that I may still be able to qualify for an 18x contract. Now all of a sudden they're pushing me to just sign an 11x contract and mentioned the possibility of a fraudulent enlistment. Before this I was under the assumption that I would be best off not mentioning it on my enlistment packet and then being honest about it during the clearance process. So my question is, should I disclose the information on my packet, mention it during the clearance review, and hope that I'll still be allowed to sign an 18x? After reading up and thinking it over, I will not let them schedule me for MEPS until I've resolved this matter so that I can change my packet if need be.
futureSOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:01   #2
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Get a different recruiter. Were you arrested by the police? No. If the school chose to handle it then it stays there. Do you have a mis-D or a felony? Doesn't sound like it. Did you act like an ass while drunk, yeah; join the crowd. If you make it great, if not, you may make better life choices in the future. Don't read into the questions on the Clearance.

Recruiters do not work for you, they have their own interests in mind. We have a few on this board who will likely chime in. My personal experience involved five recruiters until I was offered what I wanted, a shot at 11X Ranger contract. The first four thought at 130 lbs I was too skinny, the fifth I didn't give a choice. Either sign me for 11X or I'll find number 6.

This decision will effect the rest of your adult life, why are you not shopping around?

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:06   #3
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Recruiter is one thing, different "Rules." But your clearance list everything, be honest and don't hid a thing. Better to be up front than the investigator to find out and you can't explain yourself and you don't get a clearance. Tell about it and you can explain away. Your first test at willing hearts and minds.

Good luck!!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:43   #4
futureSOF
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
Get a different recruiter. Were you arrested by the police? No. If the school chose to handle it then it stays there. Do you have a mis-D or a felony? Doesn't sound like it. Did you act like an ass while drunk, yeah; join the crowd. If you make it great, if not, you may make better life choices in the future. Don't read into the questions on the Clearance.

Recruiters do not work for you, they have their own interests in mind. We have a few on this board who will likely chime in. My personal experience involved five recruiters until I was offered what I wanted, a shot at 11X Ranger contract. The first four thought at 130 lbs I was too skinny, the fifth I didn't give a choice. Either sign me for 11X or I'll find number 6.

This decision will effect the rest of your adult life, why are you not shopping around?
No misdemeanors or felonies. This is my second set of recruiters, as the first ones were not willing to help me get an 18x, or 11xopt40 for that matter, and started talking about all the benefits the army has to offer and I'm joining THEIR army and basically trying to make me feel like a bad American for wanting a specific job so I walked.
futureSOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:50   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Frankly, you have established a pattern of misconduct that will not be tolerated in the Regiment.

I sincerely hope that you have put this behind you and are not another OPREP waiting to happen.

People are going to have to put their trust and confidence in you, and I hope that you do not let them down.

Time will tell.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 20:21   #6
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Frankly, you have established a pattern of misconduct that will not be tolerated in the Regiment.

I sincerely hope that you have put this behind you and are not another OPREP waiting to happen.

People are going to have to put their trust and confidence in you, and I hope that you do not let them down.

Time will tell.

Best of luck.

TR
Well said Brother!

FutureSOF (wish we had a tally of all that chose "futureX" but didn't make it) be honest, own your poor judgement and subsequent actions, learn from them and drive forward. As my Brother simply put, people will be entrusting their life to you, don't fuck it up.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote