Old 07-29-2013, 12:13   #1
ghp95134
Guerrilla

Kennedy Half-Dollar: Challenge Coin Question

According to this site, the SF challenge coin made its appearance in 1969:
Quote:
History of the Challenge Coin
Special Forces

The 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) was the first for Special Forces Coins, established by COL Vernon E. Greene, 10th SFGA Commander in 1969. The original having a Trojan Horse on the front was used as a fund raiser to help purchase a German Wood Carved Special Forces Trooper that was in it's glass home with special temp and humidity controls.
My question:

Has anyone ever heard of the Kennedy Half-Dollar being used? My father states that right after the coin was minted [1964], SF troopers would carry one in their wallets and use as a challenge coin. He still has the one I saw in his wallet from 1964~70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad
A trivia thought from the past for you: Long before unit coins were thought of, Special Forces Troops carried the JFK half dollar in their wallets. I believe this has been a well kept secret. So now you know and I’ll have to shoot you!!!!!!
I'm wondering if that was just a small localized tradition, or Group-wide? [He was in the 1st at DLI (Thai) when Kennedy was assassinated; when the coin was minted he was with the 6th; follow-on with 5th, then Training Group.]

Thanks

------------
"And all this science, I don't understand. It's just my job five days a week" -- Rocket Man
ghp95134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 14:06   #2
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
I don't know about the JFK half dollar, but I was assigned to 10th SFGA in 1971. You certainly didn't want to be without the Group coin then because you were likely to be challenged anywhere. I remember hearing about a Company commander throwing the coin down in the showers ... after that all the QPs I knew drilled a hole in a coin and carried it around their neck with their dogtags. I still carried another one in my wallet.

When I got to 8th SFGA in 1972 the coin tradition had not taken hold there yet and the month or two after I signed in 8th Special Forces Group reorganized as 3d Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group. Consequently, if you go looking for an 8th Group coin the only thing you'll find is a coin minted after the unit deactivated that doesn't look as 'elegant' as the other group coins I've seen or carried (although I can't speak for 6th SFGA as I haven't seen one for that unit and was never assigned there).

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 14:48   #3
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Col Greene, 10th Group Commander in 69 - 70, produced the 10th Gourp Challenge Coin with the first 100 made of solid silver and numbered. I still have the one I gave my, then future, wife. The one I had was passed around a table long ago to never return. After copious amounts of beer I did not realize it was gone until too late.

On the half dollar, I have heard that before and it was a tribute to JFK.

Also the challenge coin thing started In WWII with pilots if I remember correctly. Although it could have been WWI.

UWOA, one was challenged in the shower and squatted to let the coin drop from between his cheeks. The challenger did not see a cord around his neck and assumed he was not carrying. Sausville (sp) I believe was his name.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.

Last edited by longrange1947; 07-29-2013 at 14:50.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 17:14   #4
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

I heard a rumor while I was in paramedic school on Bragg about an uncircumcised fellow secreting a challenge coin under his foreskin. While in the shower he let it drop. Anyone confirm this? I heard it in the early 90's.
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 17:53   #5
MR2
Quiet Professional

I've heard the Kennedy-half story too. And that in a pinch, if you had a Kennedy, you were good-to-go.

As long as your name was Kennedy...

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 18:45   #6
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Col Greene, 10th Group Commander in 69 - 70, produced the 10th Gourp Challenge Coin with the first 100 made of solid silver and numbered. I still have the one I gave my, then future, wife. The one I had was passed around a table long ago to never return. After copious amounts of beer I did not realize it was gone until too late.
Similar story, but different outcome. I don't have the one I gave the first ex-Mrs Trapper John.
Old 07-29-2013, 18:51   #7
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseTim View Post
I heard a rumor while I was in paramedic school on Bragg about an uncircumcised fellow secreting a challenge coin under his foreskin. While in the shower he let it drop. Anyone confirm this? I heard it in the early 90's.
Really? Really??? LMAO Please tell me your not serious. Please make that font pink. Really? Really??? Still LMAO
Old 07-29-2013, 21:22   #8
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
UWOA, one was challenged in the shower and squatted to let the coin drop from between his cheeks. The challenger did not see a cord around his neck and assumed he was not carrying. Sausville (sp) I believe was his name.
It's great to get some more details about that ... thanks longrange1947 ... helps keep the memories alive ....

Old 07-29-2013, 21:36   #9
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 &Trapper John View Post
The one I had was passed around a table long ago to never return. After copious amounts of beer I did not realize it was gone until too late.

Similar story, but different outcome. I don't have the one I gave the first ex-Mrs Trapper John.
I was coming back Space-A from my honeymoon (third marriage is a charm) on the Med in 2009 and was waiting in the passenger lounge at Rota for the C-17 coming back from the sandbox to load. There was a young sergeant in cammies from, I believe it was, 5th Group also waiting as well as a bunch of EOD guys from a National Guard outfit located in Washington state.

Anyway, I dropped my coin (a 10th Group coin) on the guy as a friendly challenge, fully expecting to have to buy him a drink in the canteen next door. I was surprised to learn he didn't have one -- but almost a dozen other coins hit the ground from guys in the EOD outfit. After things got sorted out, I gave the sergeant my coin so he'd have one to fend off the non-SF types we were traveling with. Best coin I ever 'lost'.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:53   #10
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

UWOA- Nice gesture on your part. Ever since I "lost" my 10th Group coin I carry one and have a backup at home. Ya never know when some FOG will drop one on ya.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:16   #11
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
UWOA- Nice gesture on your part. Ever since I "lost" my 10th Group coin I carry one and have a backup at home. Ya never know when some FOG will drop one on ya.
I always carry two, watched a guy ask to see another's coin and then challenged him with it for letting it go. The other guy reached into his pocket and pulled a second coin.

When the coin was issued in 69, there was a small booklet, as I remember, with coin rules and etiquette. Generally a challenge was to a person and others could not jump in. However, if you were bold enough to throw it on the floor (or drop it oops!), then you essentially challenged the group you were with and not the bar.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 21:26   #12
Mike
Quiet Professional

I was only in group 66-70, SFTG, 6th, 5th, 7th.
Never saw nor heard of a coin til about 1982.

I have a few now I bought as souveniers over the years.

I go to conventions and reunions and amazed and confuzed over all the bullshit involved with coins.

Fuck me, even the dog catcher has them now.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:23   #13
ghp95134
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I was only in group 66-70, SFTG, 6th, 5th, 7th....
Mike, while in SFTG did you know Bud Power (S4) or LTC Keravuori (XO)?

--Guy Power

------------
"And all this science, I don't understand. It's just my job five days a week" -- Rocket Man
ghp95134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:24   #14
Beef
Quiet Professional

Quote: "Fuck me, even the dog catcher has them now.

LMAO!!!
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:10   #15
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Fuck me, even the dog catcher has them now.
He's right. I went to an FBI dinner that Director Mueller attended two years ago to commemorate a milestone for the Bureau (Centennial Anniversary as I remember) and everyone who attended got a FBI coin to mark the event. I sits on one of my end tables with the air force, electric and water utility coins I've picked up over the years ....