Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 05-15-2013, 18:44   #1
Fonzy
Guerrilla

Please help ID Grandfathers WW2 Dagger

Gentlemen,

I apologize if this is out of place, but I figured with the wealth of knowledge on this forum someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

I apologize for not having much of the back story on this piece, I just remember it hanging in my grandfathers den with the rest of his military memorabilia. He served in WW2 and landed on Normandy in (albeit in one of the latter waves) as well as Korea. Sadly, I was too young to appreciate his service before he passed and know next to nothing about the blade. It recently came up in conversation with family and I have to know the back story behind the piece; who it was typically issued to and for what. With the wooden hilt, it looks more ceremonial to me, but I will be the first to admit I know absolutely nothing about this sort of thing. I attached four images; one of the knife with scabbard, a close up view of the hilt, one of the inscription, and the last picture is on the rear of the blade.

I greatly appreciate any help you gentlemen can give.

V/r,
Sgt Fonzy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg securedownload.jpg (66.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg securedownload-1.jpg (55.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg securedownload-2.jpg (55.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg securedownload-3.jpg (63.7 KB, 139 views)
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 18:47   #2
Richard
Quiet Professional

It's an SA (Sturmabteilung or "Brown Shirts") ceremonial presentation dagger - nice condition, too.

The RZ Nr is its officially national manufactured serial number and can be tracked to its original owner.

Good luck with it.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 18:52   #3
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Here is a link to some good info and photos for it.

http://germandressdaggers.com/SA%20standard.htm
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 19:08   #4
Fonzy
Guerrilla

Gentlemen,

I do not have the words to express my thanks for the prompt replies! I'm absolutely fascinated and reading up everything I can on this piece of history. Thank both of you from the bottom of my heart.

V/r,
Sgt Fonzy
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 23:32   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzy View Post
Gentlemen,

I do not have the words to express my thanks for the prompt replies! I'm absolutely fascinated and reading up everything I can on this piece of history. Thank both of you from the bottom of my heart.

V/r,
Sgt Fonzy
Great now go make a donation to the Green Beret Foundation....

http://greenberetfoundation.org/donations.html
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:21   #6
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

That (SA dagger) is an awesome piece of history.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:54   #7
Night Stalker
Asset

Looks Great

I believe this to be the best site to find out info on WW2 items. Many experts in the feild are on this site that can help identify anything. Craig Gottlieb is a leading militaria and antique dealer, writer and historian also a member on this site. http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/index.php
Old 05-16-2013, 15:28   #8
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

It is of Swiss design. I've always liked the design but hate the association it has with nazis.
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 15:41   #9
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseTim View Post
It is of Swiss design. I've always liked the design but hate the association it has with nazis.
In 1933 Hitler commissioned Professor Woenne of the Solingen School of Commerce to design an edged weapon for dress wear by the SA and SA reserve.

The dagger was issued for wear in February 1934 and was styled after a 16th century south German hunting dagger known as a "Holbein" dagger. The Holbein dagger featured a hunting scene on its scabbard based upon a scene from a Holbein painting called "The Dance of Death", hence its name.

http://www.germandressdaggers.com/SA%20standard.htm

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 22:43   #10
mojaveman
Area Commander

Many years ago when I was a very young GI in Germany one could go to the antique stores or Saturday morning flea markets and find Third Reich Militaria. At least back then it was still relatively affordable. I seem to remember that after the 50th anniversary of the end of WWII the price of collectables skyrocketed. I had a pretty good collection of stuff when I came back to the U.S. but ended up selling it later while suffering financial difficulties. In Russia and some other Eastern European countries people actually dig up graves in Wehrmacht cemeteries just to find items like that to sell.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:10   #11
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

I remember seeing one of these as a teen. A friend of a friend had one and was sporting it around. I don't know the story behind it or anything but it is a vivid memory.

Not the same but I still have my grand puppy's K-Bar from WWII (Pacific), and a nazi flag that his brother in law took in France.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:27   #12
uspsmark
BANNED USER

There are also cheap reproductions made of that dagger and several others from the Nazi era. There is even one of a Hitler Youth knife.

I have a Japanese flag that was taken by a WWII Silver Star recipient from my wife's family as well as her Grandfather's Springfield made 1911 that he carried in WWI. He also brought back an airplane prop that is in very good condition that I have in my gun/computer room.
uspsmark is offline   Reply With Quote