Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 01-02-2013, 21:03   #1
HNEP
Asset

11x to 18x in basic

Hey guys, I looked and searched on the site for a while, and I was unable to find anything on this. Long story short, I signed and 18x then lost it due to and ADHD waiver after I had already qualified. Now I have an 11x contract. My question however is... My recruiter said he spoke to an SF recruiter at Ft. Benning and told me that I need to go to the SF building once I get to SandHill and if my PT score is high enough they will switch me back over to the 18x. Now does this actually happen, or was he possibly feeding me a line to just keep me satisfied?
HNEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 21:28   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNEP View Post
Hey guys, I looked and searched on the site for a while, and I was unable to find anything on this. Long story short, I signed and 18x then lost it due to and ADHD waiver after I had already qualified. Now I have an 11x contract. My question however is... My recruiter said he spoke to an SF recruiter at Ft. Benning and told me that I need to go to the SF building once I get to SandHill and if my PT score is high enough they will switch me back over to the 18x. Now does this actually happen, or was he possibly feeding me a line to just keep me satisfied?
What does AR 40-501 say?

Do you have a waiver?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 21:39   #3
HNEP
Asset

Unfortunately I do have a waiver, I am going through it now. The Major that broke the news to me told me he did not know how that 'slipped through'. And the doctors at the MEPS here will not send up exceptions because they are 'civilian doctors' and if something were to happen to me like, 'i don't pull my chute' - said my recruiter, I could file malpractice. I just want my chance, not that I will not go for it once I am in, but I haven't wanted to do something so bad, and just can't stand the thought of waiting even longer to get my chance at selection.
Old 01-02-2013, 22:42   #4
Survival7201
Asset

ADHD

What does AR 40-501 say?

2–27. Learning, psychiatric and behavioral disorders
a. Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (314), or Perceptual/Learning Disorder(s)
(315) does not meet the standard, unless applicant can demonstrate passing academic performance and there has been
no use of medication(s) in the previous 12 months.

Hope this helps.

RL
Survival7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 23:01   #5
HNEP
Asset

Weird, I have a note from my doctor saying I haven't taken it in over a year, and still I required a waiver. But 11x to 18x at basic, plausible?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:29   #6
Kamber

Take this for what it's worth:

I'm on Week 7 of OSUT at the moment. One day at the range, one of the guys in our platoon, who currently holds an 11X contract, was approached by the SF Liason. He was offered the opportunity to amend his contract from 11X to 18X because he was fluent in Spanish and held a high PT score (he ended up turning it down). So, it seems that 11X to 18X is possible. However, the SF Liason came to him and not the other way around. Are you proficient in a foreign language? I'd imagine that would help your case. Assuming you get all the appropriate waivers and are medically qualified for an 18X contract, do well with your PT and make it a point to see the SF Liason during OSUT; worst that happens is you end up with exactly what you have now.

Hope this helps in some capacity, good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 18:50   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survival7201 View Post
What does AR 40-501 say?

2–27. Learning, psychiatric and behavioral disorders
a. Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (314), or Perceptual/Learning Disorder(s)
(315) does not meet the standard, unless applicant can demonstrate passing academic performance and there has been
no use of medication(s) in the previous 12 months.

Hope this helps.

RL
Looks like someone here needs to review the stickies at the top of this forum.

Let me know when you have done that.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 19:15   #8
HNEP
Asset

Thanks guys, I'll just take everything in stride, and I'll make my way to selection, then become a part of this brotherhood.
Old 01-05-2013, 21:08   #9
Survival7201
Asset

Compliance with directions

This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.

Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period.

Questions asked by the general public should NOT be answered by the "general" public.

If you do not have the title of "Quiet Professional" you may ask a question, but leave the "answers" to the QP's.

Loud and clear.

RFL
Survival7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 19:04   #10
cobra22
Quiet Professional

[QUOTE=Kamber;481069]Take this for what it's worth:

I'm on Week 7 of OSUT at the moment. QUOTE]

Just wondering how during OSUT one is able to use a computer.
Old 01-19-2013, 19:41   #11
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra22 View Post
...Just wondering how during OSUT one is able to use a computer.
Because in the "New Army" basic trainee's feelings are more important than discipline itself.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:29   #12
HNEP
Asset

Possibly home for the holidays? Only reason I could think of, not that I'm bashing, just a thought.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:43   #13
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNEP View Post
Possibly home for the holidays? Only reason I could think of, not that I'm bashing, just a thought.
3 Jan is outside of block leave during Christmas/New Years for Basic Trainees.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 01-20-2013 at 09:49.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22   #14
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra22 View Post
Just wondering how during OSUT one is able to use a computer.
Well if my son's class was any kind of indication(he graduated in early Dec)...they're allowed to periodically use their cell phones (usually on Sunday evenings)...if they have a smart phone they would be able to access the 'net. While I was happy to hear from my son...I personally disagreed with the policy. Payphones and time limits on calls keeps you focused on what you're there for in my opinion.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 18:51   #15
CANOPYx3
Quiet Professional

Go see the SF LNO in Sandhill. He can answer all your questions. He is located next to your med clinic. If you have been off you meds for over a year you can get a waiver. Because you were on in the first place is the reason for the waiver. Be completely honest with the LNO and don't quibble about why you were taking them. Once the SWCS surgeon reviews it the waiver can be signed. They could have done this while you still had an 18X contract. Hate to say it but your recruter didn't do you any favors. You still have a chance, your APFT will go a long way towards your cause. Last time I was down there visiting it needed to be280 or higher to crossover. Hope that helps.
CANOPYx3 is offline   Reply With Quote