Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 11-18-2012, 10:59   #1
MR2
Quiet Professional

FHA providing buying opportunities to those who defaulted on homes

FHA providing buying opportunities to those who defaulted on homes

Snips:

After two foreclosures and two bankruptcies, Hermes Maldonado is as surprised as anyone that he's getting a third shot at homeownership.

Last summer, the 61-year-old machine operator at a plastics factory bought a $170,000 house in Moreno Valley, Calif., that boasts laminate-wood floors and squeaky-clean appliances. He got the four-bedroom, two-story house despite a pockmarked credit history.

The last time he owned a home, Maldonado refinanced four times and took on a second mortgage. He put a Cadillac and Mercedes-Benz C300W in the driveway and racked up about $45,000 in credit card bills and other debts. His debt-fueled lifestyle ended only when he was forced into bankruptcy.

The FHA, which backs nearly 8 million loans, is helping rebound buyers recapture the American dream, boosting the housing market in the process. But that has touched off a fierce debate about the financial and ethical wisdom of bankrolling borrowers who contributed to the last housing bubble — and the potential cost to taxpayers.

"After everything that happened, thank God I was able to buy another house," Maldonado said in Spanish. "Now, it's good because the interest rates are low and there are lots of homes."

Critics worry that the FHA is foolishly allowing marginal buyers to get loans just three years after foreclosure with as little as 3.5 percent down. What's more, the agency doesn't even track how many rebound borrowers it backs.

According to Bloomberg, House Financial Services Committee Chairman Spencer Bachus, R-Ala., said Thursday that FHA officials have told him the agency will need a bailout from the U.S. Treasury within a month.

Read more: FHA providing buying opportunities to those who defaulted on homes - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...#ixzz2CasgGVe0

So in order to get someone elected we start the whole housing bubble again which led to the still unresolved financial collapse - again?!?

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:03   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

FHA $16 billion in the Red

And the FHA is $16 billion in the Red?

Most of the politicians in Washington don't have even the slightest problem with either issue.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:05   #3
Gypsy
Area Commander

A friend of mine lost her job 4 years ago, prior to this was gainfully employed and lived in a fiscally responsible manner.

After her job loss she worked several jobs, all of them part time, to make ends meet. A few months ago she just couldn't keep up due to even further PT hour cuts...lost her modest yet homey house.

I'm sure she'll love to read this article.
Old 11-18-2012, 15:18   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
A friend of mine lost her job 4 years ago, prior to this was gainfully employed and lived in a fiscally responsible manner.

After her job loss she worked several jobs, all of them part time, to make ends meet. A few months ago she just couldn't keep up due to even further PT hour cuts...lost her modest yet homey house.

I'm sure she'll love to read this article.
Maybe she should spend beyond her means and learn Spanish.

Then the government might help her.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 16:29   #5
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Maybe she should spend beyond her means and learn Spanish.

Then the government might help her.

TR
Funny, that's what she said.
Old 11-18-2012, 17:38   #6
Paragrouper
Quiet Professional

and we can pay for this by simply redefining the 'rich' we'll tax.

Now maybe you're 'rich' too.

"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden
Paragrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49   #7
ddoering
Quiet Professional

"The last time he owned a home, Maldonado refinanced four times and took on a second mortgage. He put a Cadillac and Mercedes-Benz C300W in the driveway and racked up about $45,000 in credit card bills and other debts. His debt-fueled lifestyle ended only when he was forced into bankruptcy."

The good ole American dream.....
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:33   #8
ddoering
Quiet Professional

He just one example of a parasite that has learned how to ride the system. There are millions of them.
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 17:01   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Ten or twenty years in debtors prison or indentured servitude might change that spending habit.

Certainly, giving him more credit is not a viable solution.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 00:22   #10
charlietwo
Quiet Professional

So... how much more of evidence like this is needed to convince people that this is all part of a plan? Destruction of the American economic foundation is essential for social justice. This is not 'stupid policy' or 'ignorance of economics'. This is planned destruction.

After the election, I vowed to cease giving people the benefit of the doubt for not seeing the desired end state. If you do not see it now, you are a fool.
charlietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:45   #11
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoering View Post
He just one example of a parasite that has learned how to ride the system. There are millions of them.
I'm not sure he was born a parasite (although there is that ferrin-sounding name) after all the guy is 61 and holds a good job and initially bought a modestly priced home - he's in CA.
I suspect he wasn't born this way but was taught.
For those of you unfamiliar with the housing market in CA a few years ago it was wild. And the folks running the show were the mortgage refi folks from companies like Country-wide. These folks figured out a way to bypass only really efficient way to keep the mortgage industry safely afloat. And listen up! That safety valve was not the FHA, the VA or Fannie/Fredie. It was the BANKs!! In the old days mortgage-backed securities were boring but safe and a lot like securities with utilities (until assholes like Enron . . . ) Country-wide created a whole new way of doing business. They didn't underwrite like a bank because they weren't ever going to hold any of the business they created and they sold it directly to investors.
Another thing they did was sell the idea that home equity was some sort of self refilling piggy bank.
We bought a reasonably priced home in So CA in 2003. Watched our neighbors sell at twice and thrice the original price. We got out just as it started to suck. I ended up paying. $10,000 fee to the buyers rep (in addition to his slice of the regular arrangement.) we were lucky. We got out with a profit. The folks who bought it were foreclosed on and we only got 1/3 of the seller carry-back second. My neighbor did the cash out refi and has toys and a nice car. He will live in that house until the day he dies. It will probably never be worth the appraised value of his refi.

As for debtor prisons. We don't do that in America. But there are plenty of real prisons and the head of Country-wide is in one. Truth is there are lots of loan originators that should be there too. Who were the most aggregious resellers? Real estate sales people.

Lots of people were taken advantage of.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:05   #12
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
... there are plenty of real prisons and the head of Country-wide is in one.
Unfortunately, Angelo Mozilo is free as a bird (are birds really free?). He 'settled' with the SEC a little over two years ago for a 'fine' of $67.5 million dollars (and a lifetime ban of being an officer or director of a public company).

As a result of this 'fine' - all criminal investigations were dropped.

As part of BofA taking over Countrywide, BofA agreed to pay any fines that were leveled on Mozilo. Nice deal, if you can get it.

http://www.cjr.org/the_audit/bank_of...o.php?page=all

The list of the "Friends of Angelo" is very enlightening.

Last edited by ZonieDiver; 11-20-2012 at 11:14.
ZonieDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:38   #13
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Unfortunately, Angelo Mozilo is free as a bird (are birds really free?). He 'settled' with the SEC a little over two years ago for a 'fine' of $67.5 million dollars (and a lifetime ban of being an officer or director of a public company).

As a result of this 'fine' - all criminal charges were dropped.
Is this a great country, or what?
Maybe he owes someone some money and we can start up a debtor's prison. I like that idea.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 14:48   #14
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
...we can start up a debtor's prison.
And bring back "indentured servitude"...???

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 14:57   #15
afchic
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
I'm not sure he was born a parasite (although there is that ferrin-sounding name) after all the guy is 61 and holds a good job and initially bought a modestly priced home - he's in CA.
I suspect he wasn't born this way but was taught.
For those of you unfamiliar with the housing market in CA a few years ago it was wild. And the folks running the show were the mortgage refi folks from companies like Country-wide. These folks figured out a way to bypass only really efficient way to keep the mortgage industry safely afloat. And listen up! That safety valve was not the FHA, the VA or Fannie/Fredie. It was the BANKs!! In the old days mortgage-backed securities were boring but safe and a lot like securities with utilities (until assholes like Enron . . . ) Country-wide created a whole new way of doing business. They didn't underwrite like a bank because they weren't ever going to hold any of the business they created and they sold it directly to investors.
Another thing they did was sell the idea that home equity was some sort of self refilling piggy bank.
We bought a reasonably priced home in So CA in 2003. Watched our neighbors sell at twice and thrice the original price. We got out just as it started to suck. I ended up paying. $10,000 fee to the buyers rep (in addition to his slice of the regular arrangement.) we were lucky. We got out with a profit. The folks who bought it were foreclosed on and we only got 1/3 of the seller carry-back second. My neighbor did the cash out refi and has toys and a nice car. He will live in that house until the day he dies. It will probably never be worth the appraised value of his refi.

As for debtor prisons. We don't do that in America. But there are plenty of real prisons and the head of Country-wide is in one. Truth is there are lots of loan originators that should be there too. Who were the most aggregious resellers? Real estate sales people.

Lots of people were taken advantage of.
Sorry my friend, but you are completely taking away any repsonisbility folks like the gentlemen in the story have for the situation. I don't care how predatory the lenders were. If you are not smart enough to read the fine print of the contract you are signing, or if you think you can own a $400K home making 30K a year, you are stupid and deserve what you get.

When you sign your name on a contract, that is your word. And if you don't have your word, you don't have shit.

No one FORCED these folks to sign a contract.
afchic is offline   Reply With Quote