Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 11-18-2012, 10:13   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Sky Diving Cats

Sky Diving Cats

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#...ontroversy.cnn

You have to watch the whole clip to see "how" they did it.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:35   #2
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

People get into an uproar over the most stupid things.

Guess they would get mad if we static lined a monkey or a Cayman? Thanks God we did not have the internet back then if that was done.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:12   #3
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
People get into an uproar over the most stupid things.

Guess they would get mad if we static lined a monkey or a Cayman? Thanks God we did not have the internet back then if that was done.
"Sky Diving Cats,"...Only on PS.com!

That was awesome Pete Sir, thanks for posting it!

Now B, you are making me wonder here......oh, on second thought, I don't wanna know...haha

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:36   #4
MR2
Quiet Professional

meOUCH!

We had a barracks cat. We fashioned a harness from a 1 qt. canteen cover and attached a parachute from a 4.2 illum round. Subject was put through equipment familiarization and pre-jump training. Jumper was calm and collected until the the door to the jump platform was opened. Instead of refusing to jump, the jumper became a danger to the platform and all personnel in the VIC. Fearing for the safety of the platform, the jumpmaster vigorously assisted the jumper out the door.

Due to poor exit and failure to maintain proper body position, the jumper executed a 1 point landing.

I was acting as DZ medic. Unfortunately, said jumper refused exam or treatment by unassing the AO under the next barracks and went into permanent E&E mode. The jumpmaster on the other hand experienced significant cat-scratch fever injuries...

Photo is of one of the thrice condemned NCO billets that served as accommodations for some of the most elite military forces in the world... Taken in the Fall of 1977, it shows the effects of looting by senior NCO's while we were still living there. You can see the second floor jump platform where said airborne operation was conducted from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7SFG 77 Barracks Life 5.jpg (68.9 KB, 95 views)

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:43   #5
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
We had a barracks cat. We fashioned a harness from a 1 qt. canteen cover and attached a parachute from a 4.2 illum round. Subject was put through equipment familiarization and pre-jump training. Jumper was calm and collected until the the door to the jump platform was opened. Instead of refusing to jump, the jumper became a danger to the platform and all personnel in the VIC. Fearing for the safety of the platform, the jumpmaster vigorously assisted the jumper out the door.

Due to poor exit and failure to maintain proper body position, the jumper executed a 1 point landing.

I was acting as DZ medic. Unfortunately, said jumper refused exam or treatment by unassing the AO under the next barracks and went into permanent E&E mode. The jumpmaster on the other hand experienced significant cat-scratch fever injuries...

Photo is of one of the thrice condemned NCO billets that served as accommodations for some of the most elite military forces in the world... Taken in the Fall of 1977, it shows the effects of looting by senior NCO's while we were still living there. You can see the second floor jump platform where said airborne operation was conducted from.
And I am sure that all drinking was done after the operation was over not before?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:51   #6
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
And I am sure that all drinking was done after the operation was over not before?
Ummm... As part of the ground crew I had no knowledge of what went on in the jump platform - or at least that's what I told the DZSO while he was filling out his report. And of course the jumper refused to submit to urinalysis...

Quote:
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
See: Statute of Limitations...

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 17:56   #7
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post

MR2 Sir,

Part of me just "knew," but oh my indeed!

Classic, and one to share with close family for sure! In the video, it shows an actual sky-dive with a feline harnessed and strapped to a man, and it stated the cat did not even let go of its extremities...who would have thought?

And if memory serves, there is an avatar floating around here of some type of nija warrior cat....the "next" line of defense?
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 18:01   #8
SF18C
Quiet Professional

I know it is the "age" of the photo and possibly the means used to digitized it...but MR2, your barracks looks kinda pink!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 18:38   #9
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Back in the late 80's someone at my drop zone wrote an article "In Pursuit of Cat Chasing" for Skydiving Magazine. Story evolved around a competition involving two jumpers catching a cat in freefall. Characters were all tongue and cheek nicknames of the DZ's usual suspects. The Herd has a historian, need to see if that article still exists.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 18:43   #10
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C View Post
I know it is the "age" of the photo and possibly the means used to digitized it...but MR2, your barracks looks kinda pink!
Maybe this was their barracks cat, then the color of the barracks would kinda fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hello_Kitty_Pink_2981.jpg (82.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Sdiver; 11-18-2012 at 18:46.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 21:29   #11
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

A very similar action occurred in Panama about the same time frame. Barracks were 3 story Tropicals and the first jump was very successful. Unfortunately the second jump was a malfunction and the cat did not survive. Bad enough but, the CO, a hard ass by the name of LTC Gritz, was passing by with VIPs. Said LTC and VIPs witnessed the failure. Thus said hard ass "requested all parties involved" to attend remedial chute packing at the Riggers Shed for a week. At which time parties jumped the chutes they packed, dope on a rope not the fun shit on a PC.

Fun times guys!

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 21:33   #12
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

As a side note, we had jump qual'ed Ram in 69 at 10th. He made several static line jumps as a "Jumper with Ram".

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:52   #13
SPEC4
Guerrilla

Airborne Susie

Fort Benning had a mule named "airborne Susie" in 1969, I never saw her jump, but it had to as interesting as the cat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mules_airplane1.jpg (61.3 KB, 63 views)

Learn from the mistakes of others...you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Love is like a fart, if you have to force it ......it's CRAP.

If you stay ready you don't have to get ready - an old Fireman
SPEC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 14:35   #14
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

That photo dates back to WW II or Korea I think. Uniforms are not 1969 correct and the AC is on a dirt strip and Bennings AF was paved then......

Mule is setup as a pack animal and those are not parachutes I think. Hard to tell. But it is a typical photo of a smarter than human mule not wanting to go in the AC.... He knows he has no wings.....
Old 11-19-2012, 17:37   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Clearly, a likely jump refusal.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote