Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 09-03-2012, 17:25   #1
denslen
Asset

Buck knife upon graduation from Q Course?

When my older brother graduated from the Q course many years ago he was given a Buck 110 folding knife with the crest on it. He didn't tell me too much about it-is there any tradition to getting a Buck knife upon graduation?
Something about "Go for the Buck knife"???
He gave it to me that evening and I still have it, pristine, and it's one of my most prized gifts...just curious on the history behind it.
thanks in advance
Derek
denslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 17:38   #2
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

I'm sure that you are one of the "Lost Introductions" since you joined so long ago, but it wouldn't hurt to make a Post in the Intro Thread!!
Old 09-03-2012, 17:48   #3
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

All I got when I graduated the Q Course was a huge bar bill from Pedro.
Old 09-03-2012, 19:15   #4
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Was your brother a 18C? Ten plus years ago it was tradition for the 18C Engineer Honor Grad to get a buck knife. This was prior to the current tradition of issuing the Yarborough Knive to all SFQC Grads.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 19:44   #5
VVVV

I bought a 110 (it was popular) in the old SF bookstore on SBH...in '66. Snapped off the blade throwing it into a tree at CMK....replaced it with a 120, which I still have today.
Old 09-03-2012, 20:06   #6
denslen
Asset

He was an 18A. Has the crest on it with a "10" over the top of it. Don't know if he was the honor grad or not...he's not the type to talk about things like that. He went through around 1990 I believe. Was 1/10 charlie company. I was lucky enough to get to go visit him in Germany several times.
denslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 20:38   #7
Razor
Quiet Professional

The SF crest with a Roman numeral X over it is the Special Forces Association crest. They probably sponsored the award.

I seem to recall the 18A honor grad in my class being presented a Buck knife as well.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:01   #8
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Dens,
That your brother was an Alpha make the difference to the story.
Back in the 80's timeframe, the Honor Grad of the SFDOQC was awarded a folding Buck by a fraternal organization -- the American Legion, I think it was. In the olden days that was the practical knife of choice. (The impractical knife of choice was a Randal. Search key that and you'll find funny stories -- mostly about how easy they were to loose.) That it is "pristine" give credence to the award factor. They are such useful and sturdy knives; I can't think of any other reason NOT to use it. Mine is still going strong 30 years later.

Anyway, they came with a very strudy leather belt sheath. Any unit crest fit perfectly on the flap. The SF regimental crest was a little bit of a problem because the raised arrow snagged on stuff a lot and would get twisted and bent.

I don't remember anyone making a fuss about the knife being the goal. I would not have thought much of anyone who did. We had an Officer killed during Robin Sage and a few sustained career ending injuries.

Congratulations to your brother for having completed the course and for doing so well. In my class the Buck knife went to a guy who would command a Batalion in First Group.

Last edited by Dozer523; 09-04-2012 at 01:11.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 19:23   #9
Snowman
SF Candidate

They gave out a Buck knife to the Honor Grad of each MOS in the August Graduation.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 16:04   #10
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18C4V View Post
This was prior to the current tradition of issuing the Yarborough Knive to all SFQC Grads.
Darn, all I got was a piece of paper and a handshake from LTC Cincotti. After that it was a few celabratory pitchers of beer at Rick's.

Last edited by mojaveman; 09-06-2012 at 16:10.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 19:12   #11
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Yes teh Buck knife was given to the honor grad of almost any SWC course or any length over 4 weeks. All you had to do was call the Association and the honor grad got the Buck Knife and a one year membership in the association. Don't know why they stopped coming but now at Range 37 Spartan Knives gives the knife to the honor grads of SFSC and SFAR. Damn nice blades and much nicer than the Buck knife. Never saw one given with the crest before though, but congratulate your brother on being top grad of his class, that was the meaning of the knife.

Oddly enough, when I went through Trainers Development workshop a goodly number of years ago, I was issued a buck knife. Now this buck knife was for being a contrary a**hole and consisted of a dollar bill wrapped around a plastic picnic knife. Go Figure.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote