Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > TAPS

Old 01-22-2012, 01:45   #1
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Dr. Frank John Tiffany

RIP Doc....Blue Skies..........

http://coronado.patch.com/articles/d...#photo-8934289

Dr. Frank John Tiffany, 65
The physician and Vietnam Vet died Dec. 20. His memorial service will be Saturday at the Coronado Yacht Club.
January 20, 2012

Vietnam was a long way from Coronado. Dr. Frank Tiffany had that thought many times while serving as a Green Beret combat medic with the U.S. Special Forces.

Dr. Tiffany served in the Army from 1967-70 before entering into a medical career that lasted more than 35 years. He died Dec. 20 at his Coronado home. He was 65.

A memorial service will take place from 2-4 p.m. Saturday at the Coronado Yacht Club, 1631 Strand Way.

After high school, Frank volunteered to join the U.S. Army. He trained at Fort Benning, GA, the U.S. Army Special Warfare Center at Fort Bragg, NC, and completed his Special Forces medical training at Fort Sam Houston, TX.

As a medical corpsman in Vietnam, he served as a rifle and parachute-qualified sergeant in the Special Forces, receiving wounds from enemy fire while providing aid to fallen comrades.

He served with A-team at Dak Pek, and then performed a special mission for the Walter Reed Hospital Research program. Upon completing that assignment Frank volunteered for service with Mobile Strike Force IV (MIKE).

MIKE was a Special Forces unit that worked as individuals or in small teams within the indigenous Montagnard hill tribe people. The hill people were recruited by U.S. Special Forces to serve as front-line fighters alongside U.S. troops during the war.

One of his jobs was to befriend the indigenous Montagnard hill tribe people and seek their support in fighting the enemy.

Frank was honorably discharged in 1970 as a Sergeant. Dr. Tiffany received several awards and commendations, including the Bronze Star with Combat “V,” a Purple Heart, and an Army Combat Medical Badge – the latter awarded to medics who went about their business under enemy fire.

Born in Suzurandai, Japan, Feb. 17, 1946, Frank’s father, Frank Rupert, was an American POW held near Kobe, Japan. His mother, Yoshiko, was the youngest daughter of a British Parsee father and a Japanese mother.

After leaving Japan the family lived in Pennsylvania. Later, Yoshiko married a Navy pilot and the family moved west where Frank played football for Coronado High School. He graduated in 1964.

After high school Frank attended the College of San Mateo before transferring to the University of California, San Diego as a math major.

In 1975, he graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine. He completed his internship in 1976 and his Residency in 1978, both at Los Angeles County General Hospital.

Dr. Tiffany later served as director of Adult Ambulatory Care and assistant chairman of the Department of Emergency Medicine at Los Angeles County Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Torrance.

Frank met his wife Barbara while working in the emergency department at a Long Beach hospital. They married in 1985 and later that year moved to Wyoming where they found a rural area in need of a doctor.

“Frank was very excited the first time he was paid for his services in buffalo meat,” recalled Barbara.

Less than two years after the move, an accident left him with a fractured back and confined to a wheelchair. He was walking with assistance within six months.

It was during this time the couple moved to Reno, where Dr. Tiffany joined a successful medical group. Later he would practice in Las Vegas.

Frank returned home to Coronado in 1998 and had resided here since. At the time of his passing, Dr. Tiffany was director of Horizon Hospice of Poway, and worked in Dr. James McSweeney’s office in San Diego.

In 2000, Dr. Tiffany was listed in the National Registry of Who’s Who in Medicine and was selected Top Doctor in San Diego by the International Association of Internists in 2010.

“Rarely was there a night without patient calls,” said his wife. “Frank also took care of friends, neighbors and co-workers’ families.”

In addition to his wife, Dr. Tiffany is survived by his mother Yoshiko Tiffany, and a daughter, Adrienne Herro, of Northern California.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be sent to the Wounded Warrior Project, 4899 Belfort Road, Ste. 300, Jacksonville, FL 32256.

This obituary was created by Joe Ditler and LivingObituary.com.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:36   #2
jbour13
Area Commander

RIP Dr. Tiffany

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:04   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
RIP Doc, Vaya con Dios..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:51   #4
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

RIP Doc......
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:40   #5
full cooler
Quiet Professional

RIP Bac Si.
full cooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:19   #6
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Gone,but not forgotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WzL2...eature=related

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior.....

He was just a simple soldier and his ranks are growing thin
But his presence should remind us; we may need his like again,
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.
If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.......

Perhaps just a simple headline in the paper that might say:
OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY. (author unknown)

The passing of our soldiers often go unnoticed and unsung by most of the world, remembered only by family and friends. Wish it were not so. May he RIP, his family will be in my thoughts and prayers........

I realize it's a Canadian song,however I believe most appropriate for this occasion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkgV5bl7kQ

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 01-22-2012 at 07:36.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 16:04   #7
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Rest In God's Peace Warrior. Off to spend time with the Great Healer.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote