Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fur

Old 01-02-2012, 22:53   #16
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo View Post
So I talked the the relatives that own the adjacent property.

He said it was huge. I never thought about it possibly being black but I have heard they are moving in from Louisiana.

I am going to put my personal NV gear on and hunt Thurs, Fri, and Sat night for hogs. Will let ya'll know if I see anything.

D.
I know for a fact that Texas Border Mountain Lions have been captured and released in the Everglades!! This goes back for several years. I also know that these animals will range wherever the weather and food lead them.

Having hunted, a great deal, and spent a good amount of time in the Davis Mountains area of Texas for over 20 years, I have been around these guys before. Keep small children/critters within arms reach and go for the gun first!!

Take care, and if you have any ??s, give a shout.
Martin
Old 01-03-2012, 16:14   #17
LSUinNL
Asset

Reminds me of this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunter.jpg (84.5 KB, 72 views)
LSUinNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:57   #18
Debo
Quiet Professional

Look what showed up to the deer feeder a couple of days ago. Looks like this one narrowly escaped becoming a meal. Other than the big scar he has a broken antler as well as some marks on his neck. I figure that the antler broke when in velvet this year probably dating the scar the same time?

I scouted around bit today also. There was this scrape.

I am going to try to spend some time today walking the creeks and looking for tracks. Yesterday the only thing that turned up possible was this. Not sure of it though.

D.

Last edited by Debo; 01-07-2012 at 08:59.
Debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06   #19
CW3SF
Quiet Professional

Mountain Lion wouldn't surprise me. There was one captured in Missouri this week. One report speculated that the big cat walked in from South Dakota looking for a mate.

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/ne...8#.Twhe7tT2aa8
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 13:09   #20
SLVGW360
Auxiliary

Those pictures are very interesting. That deer shouldn't have been any sort of a challenge for a lion, unless the lion is young, old or injured. I have seen horses with those sorts of scars from lions, but not a small deer. Not saying that it couldn't be; just making an observation.

It is hard to tell for sure, but the track looks more canine than feline. Curl you fingers back toward your palm and use your palm and finger tips to touch a surface. That would be similar to what a lion track would look like. A large lion would be close to that size, but the important part is that the pad of a cat track is large in proportion to the rest of the track. There will be three lobes at the base (rear portion) of the pad. There will be four large toes and claws are usually retracted and not visible in the track.

Here is a link to our website that has additional information.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Wildlife...ntainLion.aspx

Looking forward to whatever else you can come up with.

RB
SLVGW360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:03   #21
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Jaguars have been seen in Southern Arizona. How far is your area from the Mexican border? It's a long shot but ya' never know...

Last edited by mark46th; 01-12-2012 at 10:12.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote