Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 09-19-2011, 16:48   #1
Gypsy
Area Commander

Don't ignore your eyes

Well I suppose that would be difficult to do. Went to a co-worker's summer cabin on Saturday...I swear a bug flew right into my left eye, outer corner. Wasn't sure...at the time I thought it could have been ash from the fire.

Flushed the eye, still felt like something was in it, it was semi swollen and really (I mean really) irritated. Itched a lot as well. So yesterday I flushed it a few more times, with bottled spring water, then put moisturizing drops in it. Fashioned an eye patch from a sleep mask because I figured something got scratched somewhere and it would be best not to keep blinking. No, I didn't take pictures.

This morning it was "better" but not normal so I went to the eye doc, he examines me and pulls out something (we don't really know what, but it was long!} that had lodged itself into my upper eyelid. He said it could have been a piece of a bug. Or a shard of some sort... Scratched the cornea a bit, but not too bad.

Antibiotic eye drops are already making a difference in just a few hours.

Next time you think you just got a little dust (or bug ) in your eye...might want to consider visiting your eye clinic.
Old 09-19-2011, 18:53   #2
Axe
Guerrilla

BTDT!

Bugs in the eye suck, and eyeball pain is a special hellish experience.

I had a skeeter make a kamikaze run into one of my eyes 2 years ago while I was at Scout camp with my son. It took me all of about 45 minutes to decide it was worth the 4 hour round trip to an ER to get it out.

The 18 y/o first-aid trained "nurse" at the camp offered to try to pull bug parts out from my eye with tweezers when flushing didn't resolve the issues. I politely declined. There was no way I was letting anyone without MD or DO after their name mess with my eyeball with anything hard and pointy. I would have preferred an ophthalmologist or optometrist, but the rural ER doc was my only option.

I have had a couple of similar experiences since with other foreign objects

FYI, they make ophthalmic Toradol, and it works wonders for the discomfort that lingers after the foreign object is removed. A lot of non-eye docs don't seem to know of it's existence, however. Tell them to look it up if they aren't familiar with it if you ever find yourself in similar circumstances again. One brand name is Acular.
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 16:51   #3
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
FYI, they make ophthalmic Toradol, and it works wonders for the discomfort that lingers after the foreign object is removed. A lot of non-eye docs don't seem to know of it's existence, however. Tell them to look it up if they aren't familiar with it if you ever find yourself in similar circumstances again. One brand name is Acular.
Thanks for the scoop. Actually after the removal I had no real discomfort...the numbing agent wore off slowly. But I will keep that in my noggin' in case it happens again.
Old 09-20-2011, 17:01   #4
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

should always carry saline in your kit as an eyewash......lesson learned the hard way, eye pain/problems suck!!!
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 17:15   #5
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
should always carry saline in your kit as an eyewash......lesson learned the hard way, eye pain/problems suck!!!

Actually I had saline drops with me, the damned thing was literally stuck in between my eyelid and eyeball...I must have flushed 10 - 15 times to try and get it out. My eye doc told me I would never have gotten it out, the way it had lodged itself.

It's a tad sore where he pulled it out but is really much better.
Old 09-20-2011, 17:32   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
Well I suppose that would be difficult to do.
Not to hi-jack..

My mom graduated with 13 in her nursing class of 1944.

Mom & 3 are still alive.

All have cataracts, glaucoma, & macular..

None ever wore sunglasses...

Watch your eyes,, 30 yrs from now, you will not have a choice...

Nuff Said???

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:04   #7
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

Glad to hear you're on the mend, Gypsy.

I'm a huge proponent of safety rated glasses. Even sunglasses. The moment I set foot in my shop, the glasses go on. And they stay on until I'm finished for the day.

When there is a problem with your eyes, it behooves one not to screw around. Your eyes are irreplaceable.
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:54   #8
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Urbanovsky View Post
Glad to hear you're on the mend, Gypsy.

I'm a huge proponent of safety rated glasses. Even sunglasses. The moment I set foot in my shop, the glasses go on. And they stay on until I'm finished for the day.

When there is a problem with your eyes, it behooves one not to screw around. Your eyes are irreplaceable.
D.j.,
Eyes are replaceable but then ya have the care and feeding of the new dog.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:34   #9
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Here's some tips for eye care:
- wear something in front of your eyes as often as possible
- if you work in an environment that poses a risk to your eyes, take all possible precautions, all of the time
- if you get something in your eye.....DON'T RUB IT (which is the first instinct I know) but irrigate ASAP. Try to minimize blinking by keeping it closed..just do the best you can under very difficult conditions.
- if you still have the sensation of a foreign body after irrigating, see someone about it.
- DO NOT numb your own eye..it could mask a huge problem and allow it to get worse
- corneal abrasions are not benign.. Can develop corneal ulcers or lacerations or it could be a penetration into the eye.
- binocular vision is a precious commodity...you have to protect it
- monocular vision works but is less forgiving for certain duties and really screws with a sense of overall awareness.

Just a few tips as a public service announcement.

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 14:36   #10
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Put a patch over your eye before you get something in it, Gyp, gosh!
Old 09-21-2011, 16:43   #11
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Not to hi-jack..

My mom graduated with 13 in her nursing class of 1944.

Mom & 3 are still alive.

All have cataracts, glaucoma, & macular..

None ever wore sunglasses...

Watch your eyes,, 30 yrs from now, you will not have a choice...

Nuff Said???
Absolutely, I ALWAYS wear sunglasses even when it is cloudy. I don't if it is dark out...
Old 09-21-2011, 16:45   #12
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Put a patch over your eye before you get something in it, Gyp, gosh!
D'oh! Maybe I need those wrap around sunglasses...