Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 08-30-2011, 08:58   #1
SP19
Asset

Aspirations of 18D but confused

My goal is to one day become an medical sergeant for an ODA, but so far my trip there has been extremely difficult, and I've yet to even attend boot camp! My story is, I attended MEPS back in June with an 18X contract filled out and ready to go. Took the ASVAB and did well, my GT score was well over the required, as was my DLAB score. But my PULHES profile came back a 111311, I knew going in that I had some hearing loss in my left ear but I tried anyways, and hoped for the best. So I'm temp disqualified for 6 months and my aspirations of signing an 18X contract are pretty much dead in the water. So when I get home I do some research and look up for the hearing qualifications that are assigned to each score for the Pulhes factor. I find on the Military.com the hearing requirements and according to it my hearing places me as a 2 in the PULHES Factor. So I emailed my recruiter with said information, and he checks into it and finds that I'm right and my PULHES score is changed to a 111211. Now I know to sign an 18X you have to have a PULHES score of all 1's, but today I find the Army Mos smart book, and I'm looking at all the MOS's to explore my options, and I come across the MOS 18 and click on it and it says and I quote "IF PHY_PRO > 111221 THEN MOS_CERTIFIED" I doesn't discern whether or not this is for prior enlisted or straight of the street, which would be my situation. Any kind of feedback would be appreciated, as I just wan't to make sure I'm exhausting all of my options before signing up as something else.

PS. Here's the link to the Army MOS Smart Book where I retrieved my info.
[URL="http://www.apd.army.mil/Home/Links/PDFFiles/MOSBook.pdf"]http://www.apd.army.mil/Home/Links/PDFFiles/MOSBook.pdf

Thanks for your time,

SP19

Last edited by SP19; 08-30-2011 at 08:59. Reason: fix hyperlink
SP19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:09   #2
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP19 View Post
My goal is to one day become an medical sergeant for an ODA, but so far my trip there has been extremely difficult, and I've yet to even attend boot camp!
1 - if you're signed up to go to 'boot camp' you've joined the wrong branch of the military.

2 - as we've posted many times in this BB, you might consider asking these ffolkes such questions because, as my Dad used to say, "If you're gonna ask Mr Ed for an opinion, you might want to make sure the answer comes from the end with the teeth."

Special Operations Recruiting Battalion

http://www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/

Good luck.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:16   #3
SP19
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
1 - if you're signed up to go to 'boot camp' you've joined the wrong branch of the military.

2 - as we've posted many times in this BB, you might consider asking these ffolkes such questions because, as my Dad used to say, "If you're gonna ask Mr Ed for an opinion, you might want to make sure the answer comes from the end with the teeth."

Special Operations Recruiting Battalion

http://www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/

Good luck.

Richard
Richard,

Slip up on my part with "boot camp", thanks for the link though, I will check it out.
SP19 is offline   Reply With Quote