Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 07-01-2011, 11:26   #1
Badger52
Area Commander

05B4S/18Es: CW Keys Used

This question comes after seeing the short film mentioned awhile back about SF work with Montagnards that is available at an online archive site. Noting the film segment of someone literally slapping a Morse key, and being into CW myself, I wondered what 05S/18E's who've had the need take (or took) with them when there was a real need for CW.

Having searched for some specifics (and garnered some interesting bonus reading*), I'm curious about what tools might've been taken along that go beyond what was in the supply system or came with the big honkin' green box.

Did most of you use the J45 affair, which I believe is basically a J37 or J38 with a metal spring leg-band setup? If you really preferred a bug or paddle, did you take a favorite key with you or just deal with it?

Other research indicates a pre-World War II bug (J36) but no information as to whether that's something that was in the system in the last 40 years or so.
--------
* Errata, or "using the search button can yield interesting bunny trails on its own":

wet dog: kudos to your work with your son. Have a genius grand-daughter who it seems might have an affinity for these things as well.

Noting someone's lament during the bonus reading (when it was still part of the course) at the speed requirement dropping from 15 to 10. An older telegraphy work I've been perusing has some sections on what various services' basic quals are, and they specifically noted (at time of publication) that it was 18wpm.

Hope to work someone here sometime; QRS12, with a steady upward trend.

Finally, my antenna noted a comment from an 18E, inspiration for a line on a QSL card, paraphrased: "You guys can hump it outta here if you want, I'm callin' for a ride." Classic.

Thank you for any responses.
Have a safe & very Blessed American Independence Day!
DE KC9TNH

Last edited by Badger52; 07-01-2011 at 14:01.
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:49   #2
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I never carried a bug to the field. Too fragile and heavy. AN/GRC109 had a built in key that I used. We did have a leg key that was used when possible... I did use a bug in the commo bunker. A couple of the guys had electronic keys, but, I didn't like them, they had no soul... FWIW, I called myself an 05B. If you wanted to be formal I would answer to 05B4S...

Last edited by mark46th; 07-01-2011 at 11:53.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:14   #3
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
FWIW, I called myself an 05B. If you wanted to be formal I would answer to 05B4S...
Trackin, understand the skill/ASI thing, was using previously seen short-hand. 05B4S to be sure.

Appreciate your response very much, especially about use of the 109's integral key.
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 20:17   #4
mojaveman
Area Commander

I don't think anyone wanted to use the KY-872 with the AN/PRC-70 after the OA-8990/P Digitial Message Device Group came out in the early '80s. In '84 I completed 18E training with an IMC speed of 15/15 send/receive. After being assigned to Group I only used the leg key to practice keeping up code speed.

Last edited by mojaveman; 07-02-2011 at 22:12.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 20:24   #5
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Leg Key and key on the 109 were all I ever used when not bursting.

Mark, how many RF burns did you get on your thumb from the damn antenna wire on the 109??

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 20:50   #6
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Still have my leg key from 30 years ago. Hated it with a passion but did finally pass with 15/18 send/recieve. Only made it because they lowered the standard from 18/18. That's what happens when you send a perfectly good 11B3S back to SWCS because you need more O5B3Ss. Took me almost four years and a PCS OCONUS before I escaped the stigma (NTM - I was a particularly unenthusiastic commo man).
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 21:57   #7
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I believe my thumb is a permanent medium-rare...
Old 07-01-2011, 22:02   #8
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
...before I escaped the stigma (NTM - I was a particularly unenthusiastic commo man).

but you did it, and that is all that matters.

loved my leg key, felt it was my best friend.
Old 07-01-2011, 22:43   #9
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Sent to commo school in 68 and hated it. Put in terminations slips every Friday during code, the only time you could terminate commo but not Tng Grp. Had to stop after we went to reduced distance nets and then the FTXs. Just before graduation I was called in to report to the medical course. Seems one of my requests was granted, just no one was told. They needed medics and I was sent there.

Actually, with the exception of staying in Tng Group longer than I really cared to, it gave me some trips I would not normally of gotten as they had a commo and medic rolled into one.

You know you have copied too much code when you hear code in the drum beat of a song.

Rick B.

Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.
Old 07-01-2011, 22:51   #10
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Sent to commo school in 68 and hated it. Put in terminations slips every Friday during code, the only time you could terminate commo but not Tng Grp. Had to stop after we went to reduced distance nets and then the FTXs. Just before graduation I was called in to report to the medical course. Seems one of my requests was granted, just no one was told. They needed medics and I was sent there.

Actually, with the exception of staying in Tng Group longer than I really cared to, it gave me some trips I would not normally of gotten as they had a commo and medic rolled into one.

You know you have copied too much code when you hear code in the drum beat of a song.
Funny, I failed the final code test (by one 5 letter word group), in order to graduate AIMC. After a sort break, returned, only to pass 18/18 only one week into the next class.

Ended up grading papers,....
Old 07-02-2011, 14:05   #11
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

13/13

13/13 kicked my butt, passed 15 and 18 before I could copy 13. Must have been a mind thing.

Most embarrassing moment in commo school, waking up for "a break" and tied up in my head set by "Squeaky Moore".

Rick B.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.
Old 07-02-2011, 18:30   #12
albeham
Quiet Professional

I loved Code school.. had a 28/28 when I completed my only time in the class.
Helped that I am ham op...

Still have my leg-key and use it when I am on the QRP rig. . Code GODS UNITE...

AL

QRV 40 meters ARL eleven 7.040 MHz....

BT AR
Old 07-02-2011, 19:36   #13
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

In November 1970, I washed out of IMC at 12/10. SFC Majerle <sp> threatened to "shove this hook up <my> ass, and twist" (he had a prosthetic hook on his code-sending hand) - but still recommended me for recycle to Weapons (or 'Billy Bang-Bang' - if you remember him and his 'brother Butch' - as my former Commo compadres referred to us 11B/C's).

It hurt, ego-wise, but came in handy on a team, once I got some antenna theory in cross training.
Old 07-02-2011, 21:11   #14
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeham View Post
I loved Code school.. had a 28/28 when I completed my only time in the class.
Helped that I am ham op...

Still have my leg-key and use it when I am on the QRP rig. . Code GODS UNITE...

AL

QRV 40 meters ARL eleven 7.040 MHz....

BT AR
Were you able to copy a recorded self? Smokin' fast brother! Too cool!

I found online a code speed program, just listening to 28 is interesting. Would not begin to try sending that fast. My brain has a knack for obscure antenna theory, wave strength, etc., but code was always a chore, but I finally got good at it.
Old 07-02-2011, 21:50   #15
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Copying at 25-28 wpm, i was usually 4-5 groups behind. When I was at my best, I could break a msg on the one-time pad at up to 15 wpm....