Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 01-28-2011, 17:39   #1
FFnavy
Asset

Best route for SF?

Hello and thank you to all who serve / served. My question is in regards to which path is best for a successful Special Forces career (though I feel that this will be a painfully obvious question). I am prior service Navy with a background in Intel. I was in BUD/s class 260 but was dismissed for a shoulder injury. My injury has been corrected and I'm now a Firefighter and a member of the Navy Reserves (Intel). I have become VERY interested in the Army and Army SF. I have been talking with a National Guard Recruiter about SF in the Guard. He stated that he can put me in the Army as 11B (I have a release from the Reserves) and I can return home and immediately try out at my local SF unit. Now I feel that if I were the unit I would not want to select someone new to the Army therefore I feel that I would not get selected. The Active Duty Recruiter stated he could put me in the Army as Intel and I could then request SF and go through selection and the rest of the pipeline. Which in your professional opinion would be the best route to take? National Guard SF or regular active duty SF for a prior Navy guy? I would love to deploy and get all the training I can. Do note that I did join the Navy to be a SEAL. SW / SF has always been my goal. Please advise on what would be the best course of action for Army SF. Thank you for all that you do. -Eric

Edited by Richard - root => route
FFnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 17:44   #2
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Read all the information you can get your hands on, a la forum rules-stuff like that.
Old 01-28-2011, 18:01   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Dusty, dear dear sole, You forgot to add the bit about the email??

FFnavy,, The email you received when you applied here, politely requesting that you read the instructions in the email and comply with those instructions.

This is not a good start young jet-eye,, the force is weak and I fear you will not be able to tread water for very long...

Welcome to PS.com...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 18:27   #4
FFnavy
Asset

instructions have been followed
Old 01-29-2011, 04:32   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Now that you have the basic pleasantries accomplished,,

Read the 1st 100 threads in each of these sub-fora.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...splay.php?f=95

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...splay.php?f=54

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...splay.php?f=55

Then read ALL the threads in this sub-fora.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...splay.php?f=26

I would also encouraged you to use the search button in the upper right corner of your screen at any time.

Warriors in Special Forces are not the type that stand in chow lines and take what is slopped on their plate and ask for more "Please sir, can I have more porridge?"

They are the ones that go out and hunt down the prey, kill it quickly and quietly. Then using their unique culinary training, they cook and eat.

Good Luck, if you succeed in your effort you will be rewarded..

Old 01-29-2011, 06:11   #6
FFnavy
Asset

Thank you for your response. I have used the search button to its fullest extent and did already research those posts. I guess more or less, I am just trying to get an honest opinion from someone in the community in regards to NG or AD in terms of SF. I have read on this forum that if are in SF you should be full time to have that right mindset. I have also read great things about NG SF. Basically, as a reservist, I see that budget is an issue. My command is still telling me that they don't have the money to send me to school and I even had to buy my own uniform. My fear is that the Guard will also be like this, although I do know they get their budget from the state. Also, not that I'm looking for an easy way out but it looks to me like the Guard would be a bit quicker in terms of getting to try out. I guess I just wont ever really know for sure which is the best option for a prior service person.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:38   #7
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFnavy View Post
Thank you for your response. I have used the search button to its fullest extent and did already research those posts. I guess more or less, I am just trying to get an honest opinion from someone in the community in regards to NG or AD in terms of SF. I have read on this forum that if are in SF you should be full time to have that right mindset. I have also read great things about NG SF. Basically, as a reservist, I see that budget is an issue. My command is still telling me that they don't have the money to send me to school and I even had to buy my own uniform. My fear is that the Guard will also be like this, although I do know they get their budget from the state. Also, not that I'm looking for an easy way out but it looks to me like the Guard would be a bit quicker in terms of getting to try out. I guess I just wont ever really know for sure which is the best option for a prior service person.
You're a fast reader! It took me months to read a portion of what's posted on this BB, and you've used the search button to it's fullest extent, already!

They just might tab you without your having to go through training with that caliber of acumen.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:01   #8
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
I guess more or less, I am just trying to get an honest opinion from someone in the community in regards to NG or AD in terms of SF.
And that is pretty what you'll get. Opinions are always honest, that it isn't what you expect or want to hear doesnt make it dishonest.

Quote:
I have read on this forum that if are in SF you should be full time to have that right mindset. .
IMO that is true, I served 11 years AD 6 with SF
Quote:
I have also read great things about NG SF.
IMO that is an accurate assessment too, I'm in the Guard now, not SF but from what I've seen and read the NG is a top notch abd busy, SF organization
Quote:
Basically, as a reservist, I see that budget is an issue. My command is still telling me that they don't have the money to send me to school and I even had to buy my own uniform.
That sounds odd. That is a supply sergeant issue. If you are enlisted it may take a drill period or two to get the issue, be patient is what we tell our guys. If you're an officer you will get an allowance but it is (wasin the foggy paast) an officers responsibility to buy his uniforms.
Quote:
My fear is that the Guard will also be like this, although I do know they get their budget from the state.
Don't be scared.
Quote:
Also, not that I'm looking for an easy way out but it looks to me like the Guard would be a bit quicker in terms of getting to try out..
Remains to be seen.
Quote:
I guess I just wont ever really know for sure which is the best option for a prior service person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyl5DlrsU90

Last edited by Dozer523; 01-29-2011 at 10:09.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:11   #9
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Dusty, dear dear sole, You forgot to add the bit about the email??...
Dusty, deer, deer soul, I told you that you were too subtle. Use the big hammer next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Read all the information you can get your hands on, a la forum rules-stuff like that.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:15   #10
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Dusty, deer, deer soul, I told you that you were too subtle. Use the big hammer next time.
I'm just a regular Santa Claus, I know.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:31   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Ho Ho Ho

Old 01-29-2011, 16:23   #12
FFnavy
Asset

Dusty claus do you really think they will tab me for that?! That would be sooo much easier! Thanks!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:54   #13
exsquid
Quiet Professional

FFnavy:

Shipmate, you best square yourself the f^&k away, and like yesterday. See my post in your other thread, where you also showed your ass, IRT your PM.

x/S