Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 12-06-2010, 22:01   #1
SPECTRE1
Asset

75th Make Good SF?

Hello, I am currently a senior in high school about to sign a Ranger (Option 40) contract with the active duty Army (E3 pay grade) as an 11B. I am confident that I will be able to be a successful Ranger candidate. However, it has always been a aspiration of mine to join the SOCOM community, and I think I may perhaps wish to try out for Army SF someday.
However, I was wondering if former Rangers make good Special Forces soldiers, or are they really two different aspects of SOCOM that usually just stay separate? I have asked soldiers this, and they really can't answer since they aren't SF. I was hoping some QP's on here may have been former 75th that could answer this. Thanks in advance, and I hope I'm worthy enough someday to serve alongside those who dedicate their careers to the welfare of this great nation.
SPECTRE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 22:31   #2
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Since you enlisted to be a Ranger, just worry about being the best Ranger you can.
TSBIYF
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 22:39   #3
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Hello SPECTRE1,

Nicely articulated post. What you are asking is not really a question that plays one into another.
More likely, you can associate those who are motivated enough to do something that is difficult (and do it well) as being successful in doing other things that are also difficult - and doing THEM well.

The Rangers are part of SOF, but they do different things than Army Special Forces. Additionally, if the Rangers and Special Forces were both tasked to do the same thing, they would go about it very differently.

There is an old joke about Rangers and SF being ordered to take a hill....
The Rangers gathered their Battalion, planned their operation, laid on additional firepower, ran battle drills non-stop for 72 hours, refused to eat, did additional physical training and honed their marksmanship capabilities. Then they charged and secured the objective with 100% enemy killed and minimal friendlies wounded.

On a neighboring hill, a Special Forces A-Team was tasked with taking another hill...they went to their hooch, lit up cigars, drank some local hooch with the indig chief, and called up the Ranger BN. Mission still accomplished, just in a different way

Focus on your 25 meter target, enjoy cheerleaders, do well in school, keep yourself physically fit, remain mentally straight, and enjoy the experiences of learning to be a Soldier when the time comes.

THEN, learn to be an expert infantryman as a successful Soldier in the Rangers / Infantry / whatever you so choose. You may enjoy that lifestyle and mission profile. Should you find yourself wanting something different, then Special Forces may be an option for you to explore.

Bottom line, it isn't the unit you came from that makes you an exceptional choice for Special Operations, rather it is much the opposite...simply stated, Special Operations is made up of exceptional men who happen to be Soldiers.

HTH

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 23:40   #4
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

2nd post, FAQ, and no rebuke? What is this, the 'kinder, gentler' PS.com that I've heard about???
Old 12-07-2010, 05:02   #5
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
What is this, the 'kinder, gentler' PS.com that I've heard about???
Hey, it's the holiday season..."We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap...hap...happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye."*

As for Post#1 - there are many threads within this very Forum which already have the answers to that queston. Bottom line is - it depends on the individual. Now, enjoy the readings.

And so it goes...

Richard

* Clark Griswold
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:40   #6
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
2nd post, FAQ, and no rebuke? What is this, the 'kinder, gentler' PS.com that I've heard about???
well MERRY F-ING X-MAS to you, too. I SHOUTED all the letters in "The Search Button Is Your Friend"!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:48   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Have you used the Search button yet, and read the threads there, or are you asking for personal attention?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:56   #8
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Have you used the Search button yet, and read the threads there, or are you asking for personal attention?

TR
I think he wants some personal attention.

SPECTRE1 -

One of the finest SF soldiers I ever knew started his career as a cook. That's what I said, a simple cook. Was a fine cook, respectful to his pears, a job well done each and every day. When he went to the SSG/E6 board, the board Pres./SGM asked, "Sergeant, what would you have changed about your career thus far in the US Army?", His answer was, "Nothing Sergeant Major, my career so far has been everything I expected from the US Army."

"Sergeant. Is there anything you would like to ask the board before we conclude this review?" "Yes Sergeant Major, I would like the opportunity to attend the Special Forces Qualification Course conducted at Ft. Bragg, NC before my time in the United Stated Army is finished."

"Very well Sergeant, dismissed."

"Thank you Sergeant Major. Thank you board members."

Be the best you can be in all you do. Don't worry about finding us, if you possess attributes and attitudes that are in line with Special Forces, trust us, we will find you.

Its also cool, when a Special Forces soldiers leaves the regiment, finds himself as the BN SGM in the 25th Infantry, Hawawii, and sits as the board/pres for young NCO's coming up in the ranks.
Old 12-07-2010, 13:17   #9
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

What makes a good SF soldier

And I, Dusty and some others know a former Army trumpet player who was a shit hot commo sgt in SF and spent at least twenty of his years in service in SF.

I, myself, started my career in 1/75 and I believe it made me a better soldier.

It takes all kinds.
Old 12-07-2010, 14:03   #10
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

IMO an outstanding training regimen for an SF aspirant to undergo in order to ingrain proper combat patrolling habits as well as raid and ambush techniques is Ranger school; this will facilitate the performance-oriented training you may give to your students one day. You'll also learn whether you're tough enough for Selection in some areas such as mental and physical discipline.

In those aspects, and maybe more, I would say "Yes; Rangers can make good SF soldiers."

The sooner you learn that your body will do what your mind says to do the better whether Ranger school, band, cooking classes or wherever...
Old 12-07-2010, 14:42   #11
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

I, too, started out as a Ranger before going SF. The Rangers are & were the premier Infantry in the entire World. That being said, they are not Special Forces!

Start out as a Ranger and learn all that you can. Then if you still have a burning desire to be the best that the Army has to offer, try out for Special Forces.
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 15:04   #12
SPECTRE1
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
Yes sir, I have used the search button and read the forum rules. It didn't appear as if this question was already asked when I looked. It appears that was a mistake, my apologies. No, I am hardly looking for personal attention, just an answer. My mistake, sorry.

And thank you to all who answered, I appreciate all of the information. Also, thanks for your service, we wouldn't be where we are without you.

Last edited by SPECTRE1; 12-07-2010 at 15:08.
SPECTRE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 22:55   #13
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
well MERRY F-ING X-MAS to you, too. I SHOUTED all the letters in "The Search Button Is Your Friend"!
First of all - pink font not available! - Hey! I don't want crap from someone who PAYS to have his Christmas lights put up!

Secondly, mea culpable for NOT knowing that TSBIYF meant 'The Search Button Is Your Friend'! I thought it meant 'Team Sergeant Brings It, You Fu#*ers!'. Cripes! I'm only a former enlisted man. We depend on you ossifers!
Old 12-07-2010, 23:10   #14
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

SPECTER,

Would a good high school football player make a good high school wrestler?

Does that help you relate?

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 23:16   #15
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
First of all - pink font not available! - Hey! I don't want crap from someone who PAYS to have his Christmas lights put up!
Secondly, mea culpable for NOT knowing that TSBIYF meant 'The Search Button Is Your Friend'! I thought it meant 'Team Sergeant Brings It, You Fu#*ers!'. Cripes! I'm only a former enlisted man. We depend on you ossifers!
Cross polinazation violation! And MR I-live-in-a-one-story-adobe-with-a-flat-roof-on-a-cul-de-sac, Damn right! I hire someone to go up there! Its a pitched roof, three freaking stories to the cement patio/walk-out basement (I hate this house). I won't ever watch them put up the lights! There ain't a PLF in the world . . .
As for that TS crack. . . now that's funny! (you can wear the Handcock avatar for a while.)