Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 12-03-2010, 11:28   #1
gmanflyarmy
Asset

Training for food and sleep deprivation

One day I was working out and it hit me....a person could be a complete physical freak and still fail at various points in the SF selection. Correct? They could read all they want for preparation, but still fall victim to surprises or things just hard to train for. The two I thought of is sleep and food. Now, I have not attended SFAS or any other part of the pipeline, so I'm only figuring that instructors will try to make candidates uncomfortable as possible...within reason, to represent situations they could in encounter later-on. Is this correct?

So that said, is there any smart way to condition one's body for to these mental tests? That is training for sleep deprivation and/or minimal food?
gmanflyarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:31   #2
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanflyarmy View Post
One day I was working out and it hit me....a person could be a complete physical freak and still fail at various points in the SF selection. Correct? They could read all they want for preparation, but still fall victim to surprises or things just hard to train for. The two I thought of is sleep and food. Now, I have not attended SFAS or any other part of the pipeline, so I'm only figuring that instructors will try to make candidates uncomfortable as possible...within reason, to represent situations they could in encounter later-on. Is this correct?

So that said, is there any smart way to condition one's body for to these mental tests? That is training for sleep deprivation and/or minimal food?
I think you should let it hit you again.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:37   #3
gmanflyarmy
Asset

rephrase: "and it occured to me"
Old 12-03-2010, 11:38   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
One day I was working out and it hit me....a person could be a complete physical freak and still fail at various points in the SF selection. Correct? They could read all they want for preparation, but still fall victim to surprises or things just hard to train for. The two I thought of is sleep and food. Now, I have not attended SFAS or any other part of the pipeline, so I'm only figuring that instructors will try to make candidates uncomfortable as possible...within reason, to represent situations they could in encounter later-on. Is this correct? ?
No.

Quote:
Smart? No.

You want sleep deprivation and starvation? Go to Ranger School. Or SERE.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:03   #5
Pete
Quiet Professional

No

Quote:
............So that said, is there any smart way to condition one's body for to these mental tests? That is training for sleep deprivation and/or minimal food?
Short answer - NO

Long answer - NO. But the long answer starts with - Do you cheat on yourself when nobody is looking?

You don't train for it - you deal with it. The mental part is dealing with it.

Notice how almost all of the threads like this return to the mental state of the individual?

A strong mind can carry a weak body father than a strong body can carry a weak mind.

So you can go without sleep to see what it feels like and go without food for a while to see what that feels like - but knowing what it feels like is not the same as running through the woods at 0200, bouncing off a tree, realizing you have uncounted clicks to go - and get on with it.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:07   #6
jon670
Asset

Quote:

i personally believe there is no mental conditioning you could do in preparation. however,i believe a strong will & faith correlates more closely with your body's ability to endure hunger & fatigue.

i've only brushed briefly with sleep deprivation during the invasion in '03. there was no benchmark available to me (as in prior experience) to measure this against, but i handled it as best as i could.

my meager $.02 .

-jon.
jon670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:30   #7
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

If you're anticipating a mission that involves food deprivation, eat until you're nearly a candidate for the fatboy program beforehand.

With regard to lack of sleep-you could practice being tired, but you'd be wasting your time.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:30   #8
drymartini66
Guerrilla

Agree on all previous posts. I've gone through my share of sleep deprivation in my brief military career via deployment, training and such. For me there was no book, you just deal with it. I always just concentrated at the task at hand and knew that if I slept or such that I would be letting my fellow soldiers down.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:56   #9
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
You don't train for it - you deal with it. The mental part is dealing with it.

Notice how almost all of the threads like this return to the mental state of the individual?

A strong mind can carry a weak body father than a strong body can carry a weak mind.
This 16 year old (in the thread below) surely didn't plan to accomplish what she did the way she did it, But her mind was ready and strong enough to help her do what she shought she needed to do.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=31339

As her coach said...
Quote:
Her vison was locked on her goal."

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"

Last edited by Snaquebite; 12-03-2010 at 13:33.
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 13:27   #10
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
If you're anticipating a mission that involves food deprivation, eat until you're nearly a candidate for the fatboy program beforehand.
Ever noticed that two weeks before Infil, PT kinda drops off - minus rehersals, and eating becomes an exercise in itself.

I still never got enough sleep, well rested maybe, but sleep? No.

Napping is still one of my favorite pass times.
Old 12-03-2010, 13:33   #11
drymartini66
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
Ever noticed that two weeks before Infil, PT kinda drops off - minus rehersals, and eating becomes an exercise in itself.

Yep, 5 mins. here, 10 mins. there. Surprising how much it helped.
Old 12-03-2010, 14:00   #12
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post

lol I do "standing naps" out shopping with Mrs. Dusty all the time.
Old 12-03-2010, 14:05   #13
drymartini66
Guerrilla

Quote:
Hehe yes and I've managed to nap with one eye open while shopping with the misses as well.
Old 12-03-2010, 14:05   #14
gmanflyarmy
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
hmm..I've never heard that one before, but I like it.
Old 12-03-2010, 14:08   #15
wet dog

Quote:
lean against the cart, it helps.