Old 11-21-2010, 00:18   #1
lyonsd
Asset

Combat divers

I don't know, but I would assume that dive equipment across the branches (Army, Navy, etc...) is similar, if not the same.

I'm curious as to what kind of dive equipment they use. For example, in the product description for Voit "Duck Feet" fins, it says "preferred by SEALs" (or something along those lines). And the rubber Rocket fins also make claims be being used among military divers. Is this true?

What fins (and masks, and ...) do military divers use?

Thanks
lyonsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:03   #2
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsd View Post
I don't know, but I would assume that dive equipment across the branches (Army, Navy, etc...) is similar, if not the same.

I'm curious as to what kind of dive equipment they use. For example, in the product description for Voit "Duck Feet" fins, it says "preferred by SEALs" (or something along those lines). And the rubber Rocket fins also make claims be being used among military divers. Is this true?

What fins (and masks, and ...) do military divers use?

Thanks
I would highly recommend you using the search button, it's located in the upper right portion of this page, second button from the right.

Others also with dive experience will be chiming in, good luck.

Last edited by wet dog; 11-21-2010 at 01:11.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:36   #3
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Rigs are the same through the services. Individual gear is generally individual preference.

x/S
Old 11-21-2010, 20:06   #4
lyonsd
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
I would highly recommend you using the search button, it's located in the upper right portion of this page, second button from the right.

Others also with dive experience will be chiming in, good luck.
If these questions had already been asked, or if the answers were available, I wouldn't have posted them. But thanks anyway for the suggestion.
Old 11-21-2010, 20:38   #5
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsd View Post
If these questions had already been asked, or if the answers were available, I wouldn't have posted them. But thanks anyway for the suggestion.
I found your answer in just a few minutes doing what Wet Dog recommended. Not Voit Duck Feet but answers to your question.

A lot of Company's out there say that this item is "Prefered, Used, etc etc etc by SEAL's Special Forces etc. That does not mean that they are...........
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:06   #6
lyonsd
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
I found your answer in just a few minutes doing what Wet Dog recommended. Not Voit Duck Feet but answers to your question.
I found answers elsewhere on the Internet, which I'll post here in case somebody else is wondering. But it should be stated that this info is UNVERIFIED (which is another reason I asked the question here)...

Voit Duck Feet were indeed issued in BUD/S (and probably Combat Dive School as well). But they were very stiff and somewhat uncomfortable then. They had squared foot pockets.

Later, they went through various changes: more flexible, rounded foot pockets, shorter, etc...

Now, they have the original molds and are the same as the ones originally issued to the military. However, they may or may not have the same stiffness - I don't know.

I think searching 'Greg Deets duck feet" will net you as close to the original as you'll get. You can also find more flexible versions, and they're generally multicolored.

Quote:
A lot of Company's out there say that this item is "Prefered, Used, etc etc etc by SEAL's Special Forces etc. That does not mean that they are...........
I figured that. That's one thing I was hoping to verify by posting the questions here.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:15   #7
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

In my experience, the fins were too uncomfortable, so I quit pre-SCUBA.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:44   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

We 'preferred' whatever fins were available.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:33   #9
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

I went through the course with rockets but I've dove with several different types over the years.

My favorite?...Beuchat made a pair that was superlightweight...long and flexible they were graphite. I loved 'em, and the bonus was it had the same strap as our rockets so I didn't have to worry about loosing or breaking a strap.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:17   #10
Flashbang12
Quiet Professional

CDQC uses aqua lung rocket fins with metal keepers, but we use rocket II fins in my unit.
Flashbang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:11   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
FOG INFO, This Post may contain dated, irreverent, and spurious bits of nostalgia, combined with tails of dubious historic significants..

I have used both Aqua Lung Rocket & Scuba Pro Jet. I still have the pair I purchased in 69' while attending Jack's Dive Emporium & Snorkel Classes(JFK's scuba school, Flemming Key, KW). They sit un-used because I like the lighter/thinner Scuba Pro FF style for both snorkeling & light dives.
  • they are heavy, but probably save 1 maybe 2 lbs of lead because of their dense rubber.
  • they are good for ice diving,, rubber holds up better
  • they make you work,, both the weight and width need practice,, your legs need to be trained to kick with your thigh's separated to keep from twisting your ankles, and/or any other kick you prefer
  • they last forever,, just carry replacement straps in your kit
  • they are not for the causal diver
  • while attending Jack's in KW, they made a set of 100 leg risers seem to last for hours, but a daily set or two will get you a nice 6-pack...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote