Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 20th Group

Old 06-19-2010, 12:47   #1
37F
Asset

Trying and getting no where. Not quitting

I am currently on IRR Status and working in Iraq. I have been trying to make all of the contacts to join a Special Forces Group. I have called and called and emailed and emailed but I am getting no where. I have been reading here for a long time and have not seen anyone who is having the same problem or an answer. I am currently a 37F (PSYOP). Is there anyone who can help? This is a dream of mine and I wont quit. Thanks for all of the help ahead of time.
37F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 15:03   #2
koz
Quiet Professional

Are you wanting to go to the Q-course? All the contacts in the world won't help you with that - it's all on you.

Who have you been calling/emailing?
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 15:50   #3
37F
Asset

I have been emailing the contacts at NC recruiters. When I ask when I can call them to make sure someone is there nobody will return my email. Since I am in Baghdad its hard for me to judge when someone is there. I am coming home real soon and will be making a face to face visit but I would like to get the ball rolling. You know?
Old 06-19-2010, 15:57   #4
Heavy
Quiet Professional

PM sent.
Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:44   #5
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Who are you emailing, us (B/3/20th) or NCARNG recruiters? You will need to speak w/ both. Also, how long have you been trying? Not much you can really do from over there other than wait.

x/S
Old 06-20-2010, 09:58   #6
37F
Asset

Yeah I emailed the unit and spoke with an individual who told me to email another person. I did and this individual has just stopped replying. I have now just focused on my workouts and will continue to follow up and make the appointments for when I return home in a few weeks. I figure that they feel since I am here its kind of a waste of time. Possibly so if there is a recruit right there in front of them. Guess I will just have to keep training and see everyone state side. Thanks again for all of the help and PM sent guys.
Old 06-25-2010, 17:28   #7
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Well, I have been dealing with the NG side of the house also, ans let me tell you what I've learned. When your ready, there is no problem being assessed. All good things come to those who wait. Get done your tour/contract, show up for an assessment prepared, and be patient. You just need to know where to show up, and I'm sure there are many people in the know about that here. God bless!

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 18:45   #8
alelks
Quiet Professional

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I heard last week that if you're in a war zone right now you "CANNOT" apply as there were quite a few people applying just to get of of going to war.

I could be wrong though as I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:10   #9
quietstorm3155
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelks View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I heard last week that if you're in a war zone right now you "CANNOT" apply as there were quite a few people applying just to get of of going to war.

I could be wrong though as I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
I read the thread as he is on IRR, but CONTRACTING in Baghdad. Thus volunteering to work in a "war zone".
quietstorm3155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 19:00   #10
37F
Asset

Yeah all of the information that I have gotten so far is that I should just keep working out and getting in shape. When I return home to make all of the contacts face to face. Then go to a drill and try out. I appreciate all of the answers and information guys.
Old 08-02-2010, 15:04   #11
zoolander6
Quiet Professional

check the unit you wish to go to, to make sure their "contractor friendly" also. If you wish to continue contracting after completion of the Q-course.
zoolander6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 14:56   #12
37F
Asset

Its been a little while and now I am home. Got transferred to the guard and now have a date to try out. My problem now is my new unit that I have to report to for my first drill is having it on the same day as the testing. It would not be to bad but the unit I am reporting to is going to the range and I do not know if I should try and be excused from the drill to attend the testing. This is the only reason I transferred to the guard and joining the Special Forces is the only thing I want to do in the army. Any advice is definitely welcome...
Old 10-10-2010, 20:30   #13
hakuda
Asset

My advice would be to go to your first drill and make a good first impression. The tryouts happen almost every month so it would just give you the extra time to get ready.

I say make the first drill and a good impression because your chain does not have to let you SUTA. They can make your path more difficult. Go to the drill, let them know of your intentions and impress them while you are there. If you show them you are a good soldier they will most likely not make your journey any more difficult than it will already be.
hakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 20:38   #14
37F
Asset

Thanks for the advice. I feel that it will be my best course of action.