Old 03-28-2010, 16:36   #16
chance
Guerrilla Chief

That just what I was looking for Crip thanks abunch.
Chance
Old 04-02-2010, 18:08   #17
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
the idea is to give you a faster reload. if you're not in dire need of a fast reload, if you sort of keep track of how many bullets you've shot you shouldn't ever be in dire need of re-load. don't use the redi-mag'd mag, pull from a pouch.

as to the dropping of the mag- nothing says you have to let it drop free, not any more so than with any other reload. Hey, I just watched the video. Maybe he caught it with . . . nah but since the purpose is for end-game situation reloads, and since most guys train to drop empties anyway, well, I'm like OLD and I remember being drilled that a dropped mag was a lost mag or one added to the enemy S-4 its sort of moot. I don't think waste or enemy re-supply is moot, I think it's stupid. some will drop both mags at the same time- you can just grab both mags, hit the release, pull down, move over, push up and seat the fresh mag, and drop your empty in your dump pouch. Or you could pay attention to the enemy.

the difference between the redi-mag and taping or mag-cinching mags together is that the redi-mag protects the top of the mag. it keeps the top round from walking forward, which invariably happens to taped mags, and keeps sand/dirt/debris out of the mag. Sorry, I wasn't clear. I think both are stupid.

the weight issue is an offset, like all things. some guys run redimags on mk18/CQBRs- defeating the purpose? no- the purpose of the shorty is primarily better maneuverability, not weight. and with that package, the weapons' already really well balanced- adding an extra 1lbs in the center really isn't noticeable. its gonna be up to the individual to decide if sooper-fast reloads are worth turning a 8lbs loaded weapon into an 9lbs loaded weapon. it is, for some. 1+1+1+1+1 . . . +1+1 = A LOT eventually. ("150 pounds of light weight equipment still weighs 150 pounds.")

obviously you still need to be familiar with your LCE.. the redi-mag isn't trying to replace training, it's just trying to shave a few milliseconds off a mid-fight reload.
don't discount this option.. it's a really good tool for some people in some situations.

for the record, i don't use a redi-mag.
Thanks for sharing.

Adding:
I'm sorry but I'm back. And I'm sorry but this speaks to what bugs me so much lately about this particular time of the Army.
We seem to be throwing money at every damn thing to shave a few milliseconds . (I admit I take this out of context but bear with me.) We cannot (and should not) try to control every single thing on the battle field with better technology. I think we make a huge mistake by thinking we can win because our stuff is better. That is what the Soviets thought in Afghanistan. I read stuff about how backward the enemy is and how advanced we are. But we're still fighting eight years later. We fought Armies technologically superior in WWII.

Maybe I'm on a rant here because I just spent an hour playing with this damn tent I was issued and I swear to God -- compared to two old ponchos and a few bungee cords . . . it sucks. It costs a damn fortune, takes up a ton of ruck space, weighs more then the cheap (bigger) one I got at Target and I swear it has to be missing a rod and has a bunch of tie downs that I can't begin to image how or where l'd use them. Setting it up in a light wind in the daytime is tough, (sure practice makes perfect) but I can only guess how miserable it would be at night trying to bug out.

<deep breath> We've got to get away from the idea that cool STUFF is what it takes. Hard fighting (at the right time), good operations (all the time) and winning the civilian battle first, is what COIN is about. NOT cool crap aimed at a few milli-seconds.

Now I'm done we will return you to your regular scheduled programming funded by the military-industrial complex. "war is good business".

Last edited by Dozer523; 04-02-2010 at 20:52.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 20:29   #18
bkb0000
Asset

i'd reply, but i suspect i'd just get my service record questioned.

my ruck's in the hall, think i'll see you guys later.
bkb0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 20:51   #19
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
i'd reply, but i suspect i'd just get my service record questioned...
Its your lack of ANY real experience on the two-way range that gets questioned. What about this is proving so difficult for you to understand?

As for your ruck being in the hall, if it were truly in the hall you wouldnt be capable of logging on.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote