Old 09-08-2020, 17:56   #1
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Is the 18X going away?

Gents,

One of the students from BYU-Idaho who worked on the research for my business is graduating later this year and is getting ready to join the army on an 18X contract. He went through MEPS last week and was cleared for Airborne but his recruiter has recently informed him that the 18X program was being cancelled so the recruiter is trying to convince him to do a different contract.

This sounds eerily familiar to what one of my nephews went through when he was joining up back in 2002. My nephew's recruiter said the Ranger contracts had been cancelled because they were full and they sent him to the MPs instead. I was in A-Stan at the time and wasn't informed of what had transpired until after the damage was done.

This college kid that worked with me is about my size (190, 6'-1"/2"), training in MMA and is fluent in Russian. He's a solid guy. If the 18X program is indeed at an end, that's going to suck. But if it isn't and his recruiter is playing shenanigans, I'd like to do what I can to help this young lad stay on the path he has chosen.
Old 09-08-2020, 20:58   #2
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Check here: https://goarmysof.com/specialforces/sfrecruiting.html

May have to circumvent whoever he's talking to. (I know nothing!)
Old 09-19-2020, 03:55   #3
Scimitar
Area Commander

I haven't been near the recruiting AO for a few years now, but...

I would be surprised if they're killing the 18x program.
The last numbers I saw showed that it was unlikely the regular Army could produce enough interested parties to continue to front fill the regiments increase in size, and 18x was pretty much going to remain a set fixture. YMMV.

However, this young lad's experience with recruiting was a common issue back then.
1) Either, the recruiter doesn't want to do the extra paperwork for 18x, or
2) On the recruiter's database they are not seeing an open 18x slot for quite some time, and the SOP is to fill a more urgent slot.

Either way, the fix is the same;
- This requires a bit of tact.
- Meet with the recruiter in person, WHILE the station commander is also in the shop.
- Advise the recruiter "Hey, a contact of a family friend said that there are 18x slot available and if you call The Rock they'll be able to open up a 18x slot, how about we grab the station commander and see what we can make happen!"
- Communicate politely and professionally, be contrite but firm.
- Also important to understand the narrative the young lads already told the recruiter, to make sure this new narrative gels.

If it's still a no-go, let me know via PM, there's a couple of other options available.

HTH

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 09-19-2020 at 04:00.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:26   #4
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

I checked with the training and readiness group at HQ/5/19 and they said it was news to them. And a colleague I served with for many years checked with the recruiters near him to see if the average army recruiter was putting out the same information and it was a very clear, “NO. The 18X program is still very much alive.”
I reached out to the kid in question and passed the information on to him. He has taken me up on the offer to accompany him to said recruiter to press his desire to join SF.

IMOO, unless one has been drafted or until they raise their hand, the needs of the army/quota of the recruiter are subordinate to the path or goals of the individual. That may be a jacked up way of looking at things but I don’t agree with the military dictating one’s desired career choice other than what they want prior to signing up, provided one possesses the prerequisites (GT Score, fitness, etc) to pursue that career.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:44   #5
Scimitar
Area Commander

Glad to hear you got what you needed.

Let me know if you get stuck.

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 17:12   #6
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

LOL! Good to see recruiters using the same old tricks they were using in 1988 when I joined up! And why is it always the MPs that are the “only thing open”?

I wanted a Ranger contract and when I went to MEPS to sign the dotted line, they used this on me. I politely told them that I would not be joining the Army that day and whaddya know, a Ranger 11X contract just popped up at that exact moment! Wow!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 15:47   #7
mdpatterson
Guerrilla

Tell him to go be a SEAL...not really

This happened to a buddy I graduated with and he went to the Navy recruiter and got a contract second meeting. He had no intention of going Navy but that is what turned the tides for him to get the 18X contract. Turns out the recruiter had failed Ranger school and never got selected for SF, so he tried ruining it for everyone else. If he couldn’t be SF, nobody should......great recruiting.

It is random I have any knowledge of this, but knew him since Junior High and all he ever wanted to do was join your ranks.

Mike
mdpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:22   #8
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Successful follow-up. Armed with the knowledge/facts that his recruiter was talking out of his ass, the young lad in question pressed for the 18X contract and persevered. My presence wasn’t required, which was good considering I was still laid up from a partial knee replacement and was not only unable to drive, but couldn’t endure riding in a vehicle for much more than 30 minutes. He got his contract locked in and was sworn in a couple weeks ago. . He’ll be on his way in January.

Last edited by TOMAHAWK9521; 10-11-2020 at 09:24.
TOMAHAWK9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:51   #9
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAHAWK9521 View Post
Successful follow-up. Armed with the knowledge/facts that his recruiter was talking out of his ass, the young lad in question pressed for the 18X contract and persevered. My presence wasn’t required, which was good considering I was still laid up from a partial knee replacement and was not only unable to drive, but couldn’t endure riding in a vehicle for much more than 30 minutes. He got his contract locked in and was sworn in a couple weeks ago. . He’ll be on his way in January.
This is good news indeed. And wishing you well in your recovery. This gettin' old stuff sucks; I feel like an out-of-production tube in a transistor world sometimes.
Anyway, Happy Trails with the knee!

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 17:02   #10
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

GETTING OLD !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
This is good news indeed. And wishing you well in your recovery. This gettin' old stuff sucks; I feel like an out-of-production tube in a transistor world sometimes.
Anyway, Happy Trails with the knee!
Getting Old is still better than the alternative...DEAD PEOPLE DON'T GET OLD...
Old 04-22-2021, 16:24   #11
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

I dont see how they can at this point....the regiment seems to be close to its breaking point..poor leadership, unfair soft and inconsistent leadership coupled with GBs who cannot shut up about classified stuff.....youtubers profiting on the course giving away secrets to cheat your way through leading to.. false positives of lower quality troops...high turnover as a result of cool guy Ranger/tier 1 recruiting videos..and a non attrition no standards Qcourse to get females through.....and on and on...
Old 04-24-2021, 11:37   #12
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

LEADERSHIP:

Start at the TOP; Look who the U S Military has as Commander-in-Chief...WTF.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:17   #13
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
I dont see how they can at this point....the regiment seems to be close to its breaking point..poor leadership, unfair soft and inconsistent leadership coupled with GBs who cannot shut up about classified stuff.....youtubers profiting on the course giving away secrets to cheat your way through leading to.. false positives of lower quality troops...high turnover as a result of cool guy Ranger/tier 1 recruiting videos..and a non attrition no standards Qcourse to get females through.....and on and on...
So....you're saying things aren't quite what they used to be???

mmm...yeah, I can agree to that...sadly...