Pro Choice 10 45.45%
Undecide 0 0%
Other 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2004, 17:30   #1
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Abortion

I was reading an article about Kerry and it said he believes that life begins at conception, but he's still pro choice. So that got me thinking, what do people on here believe.

I personally think that life begins at conception, and if you follow that thought, then abortion should technically be murder. I hesitatingly say it's ok in cases where the mother's life is in danger but that's the only case.
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 17:38   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Max,

You do realize there’s more to the issue than the black and white topic you posted?

Is this your conscience talking or your religion?

TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 17:48   #3
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

A little bit of both. I understand from my religious background why I think it's wrong, but now since I've become a father I can't imagine not having her in my life. And the thought that she, or any child could be killed and not allowed to live there life to fruition just seems like such a horrible crime and such a waste.
I know everyone person on this board would take offense at someone abusing or killing an infant. And in my opinion this is the same thing.

Fetus's just arent as cute and cuddly as a baby

Plus I put the "other" button up there so people could explain.
Old 07-05-2004, 19:02   #4
Denny
Asset

I believe that life begins at conception. If you did it, well then you have to take the consequences. If you cant afford a child, there are plenty of people out there that cant have kids that are willing to adopt. I think it is wrong to use science to kill the miracle of life.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 19:08   #5
Kyobanim

I voted other.

Do I approve of abortion? No. But I don't think that I have the right to force my beliefs on the subject on others. This is a personal choice between the man and woman or in some cases, just the woman.

My first boy was almost aborted. His mother and I weren't old enough to have a kid. I was 20 and she was 19. Our whole lives were ahead of us. At the time we both were for it but the doc made us wait and talk it over. We had a bad time of it from day one, but I don't regret the decision. I now have a granddaughter and another something on the way.

That's me. Everyone has there own thoughts/beliefs on the subject.

This isn't something that should be legislated other than the fact that you can't use it as birth control or in the third trimester when a fetus can survive outside the womb.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 20:19   #6
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Seems to me the analysis is:

1. Is abortion murder? At what point?

2. If it is murder, is it ever justifiable? Under what circumstances?

Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 20:32   #7
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Re: Abortion

Quote:
Originally posted by Max_Tab
I was reading an article about Kerry and it said he believes that life begins at conception, but he's still pro choice. So that got me thinking, what do people on here believe.

I personally think that life begins at conception, and if you follow that thought, then abortion should technically be murder. I hesitatingly say it's ok in cases where the mother's life is in danger but that's the only case.
I agree with you so far but I would have to add pregnancies in the case of rapes. That would be a very tough place for the mother to be in. Do you have the abortion and deal with it? Do you carry to term and give the baby up for adoption, or do you keep it? No matter how you slice that one up the scars from the rape are bad enough but add an unwanted child to it.
Old 07-05-2004, 20:36   #8
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Pro choice.

my background-
I have kids, and I have never been involved in an abortion.

Obviously, I do not believe that conception should be used as legal definition for when a fetus is a living/independant life deserving "government" rights and protections.

For me, the debate is in "when" gestationally to draw the line for removal of the termination option except in life-threatening circumstances.

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 07-05-2004 at 20:43.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 21:01   #9
Pandora
Hornet Nest Poker

I voted pro choice.

All arguments and opinions are valid, right and very personal, thus, all choices are valid, right and very personal.

quid pro quo
Pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 21:12   #10
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by Pandora
I voted pro choice.

All arguments and opinions are valid, right and very personal, thus, all choices are valid, right and very personal.

quid pro quo
I have to ask.

Is it a valid argument or opinion to support killing a newborn infant because you don't like the gender and can only have one?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 21:19   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
I have to ask.

Is it a valid argument or opinion to support killing a newborn infant because you don't like the gender and can only have one?
Wasn't there a book based on this premise?
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 21:22   #12
Slick
Asset

I voted Pro-life on the basis that the process to have an abortion is in essance shaking up the fetus like a milkshake then extracting it. This is from the purely scientific side of me which believes that shaking up body material is like breaking the bonds of human cells. Human Cells are living from the moment they are created. Thus it is murder.

Religion and science, for me, remain separate.

Rape is something that is exempt from the above statement. At that instance I'm clueless, and defer to the woman.

Last edited by Slick; 07-05-2004 at 21:25.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 23:36   #13
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Pandora
I voted pro choice.

quid pro quo
What about the babies choice.

I'm not one of those nuts who protest, but I do like to argue.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:40   #14
colt1911fan
Asset

I think abortion is wrong, but that we are given the choice to do wrong in this world. I can't judge too many people, because I have spent time nailing Jesus to that cross. So I do know sin has a price. Abortion is a sin, I believe. But in this world we are certainly allowed to sin. There are certain things I believe are wrong, even some things I have done myself, but people are allowed to do wrong things.
colt1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:30   #15
Kyobanim

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
I have to ask.

Of course it's wrong. But obviously it's not wrong in Chinese culture.

TS, the Bear and the Dragon

My voit should probably be Pro Choice since that's essencially what I stated.

Quote:
What about the babies choice.
My answer to that is at what point can the fetus live outside the womb without life support? Third Trimester? maybe second in rare occassions.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote