Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Comedy Zone

Old 05-02-2009, 15:43   #1
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

It wasn't funny at the time...

A friend who lives in Florida wanted a war story from me.
"A true one", he said. "No bullshit".

So I gave him this.

Okay. To illustrate the leadership and judgement qualities I possessed in my meteoric, but short-lived, military career, I offer you this.

It was late winter, 1968.
Garmisch-Patrernkirchen, Federal Republic of Germany.

The sky was clear and the weather mild as a group of A-teams from C Company of the 10th Special Group slithered along like a green snake. Our hideous Army-issued skis were supposed to be suitable for cross-country and downhill skiing.
They were suitable for neither.
7 feet long, wide, solid wood, heavy and painted white, the troops jokingly called them "White Stars" after the popular high-tech top of the line Kneissl White Star.

Historical note: Initially a World War II plan to invade Norway with the winter-trained 1st Special Service Force was scrapped and the skis went into warehouses until, in a stroke of military genius, someone said, "Hey lets issue these things out!"
They should've said "Hey here's some firewood!".

But you dance with with you brung, so off we slid on numerous forays through the Alps in our Winter Warfare training. Winter Warfare training is a lot like desert training only there's more water (beneficial) and your toes can fall off (not so beneficial).
We also used snowshoes at times. Something the locals were not at all familiar with. Neither was I, being from Florida, but that's another story for another time.

So there we were on the outskirts of the old 1936 Olympic facility. The map said we had on bodacious climb and then turned south for a few kilometers where we would pick up a truck convoy. In cross-country skiing someone has to break trail. You change off frequently when the point man gets whupped and stick a fresh body up front. We traversed up a pretty steep slope most of the morning, making frequent switchbacks as we got higher. At last we reached the top just as I rotated into the point position.
"Lucky break", I sez to myself. "It's flat and packed up here". We had reached the well used Olympic site and families of Germans, ski bunnies and Jean-Claude Killy wannabe's were everywhere having a great time. We poled along with our clown skis, overstuffed rucksacks and sweat-stained berets as we waved and greeted the multitudes. They were quite used to seeing GIs wandering about the countryside. It was the Cold War period after all and we were there to keep it from warming up.
"Guten Morgen" I cheerily exclaimed to each smiling Teutonic face I encountered. "Gruss Gott"

One of my team members called from behind me. "Hey Ell-Tee, do you know where we're going?"
"Of course", I said "I've got the map right chere", pointing to my head.

For 10 minutes or so we had a marvelous time schussing along the flat manicured trails. We passed a restaurant, packed with people looking out at the sunny slopes. We also passed a sign at the entrance to a path. It was in German. My German was not too good. I ignored it.
I noticed a lot of the people up at the restaurant were standing on the balcony or inside at the pictures windows and waving excitedly at us. I waved back. I was MacArthur. I was Patton with my troops behind me on parade. I was Caesar returning triumphantly to Rome! They waved even more enthusiastically. Some would say frantically.
I waved back. American Hero smile on my face.
We passed another sign. Couldn't read that one either but one of the men behind me could. "Oh Shit" was what I heard.

It was too late.

Suddenly, the benign, pleasant pathway narrowed. We passed a small building, I thought it said, "Luger". Odd place for a gunshop, I thought. I was wrong. It didn't have an R on it.

Along with the narrowing came a difference in surface texture. From packed snow to....ice.

Now the Army White Stars are inadequate on snow. On ice they become instruments of death. You have no control and basic physics takes over. Momentum, inertia, gravity, all that stuff.

Next, after the solid ice surprise, came another. The angle of the narrow trail increased from 5 degrees to 25 degrees to OHMYGOD degrees. The sides of the trail rose on each side. I began to hear shouts from the long line of troops behind me. Perhaps a few curses. They faded away as the wind in my ears drowned out everything else after a few seconds. I wouldn't have been able to hear them anyway over the screams of terror. Mine.
Once you're skiing down an Olympic Luger trail (without the r), You don't have a lot of control. I suppose that's why they put up those 'Eintritt Verboten" signs. If you ever see an Eintritt Verboten sign turn around immediately. Germans, not known for their impish sense of humor, never kid about those.

So down we went at ever increasing speed. then we hit a corner. I'd never skied on a wall like that. Some of the guys took that opportunity to shoot right up and out of the Trail 'o Death at that point. Actually I'm not sure that it was by choice. I think they were yelling "Yahoo" but, as I said, I couldn't hear too well from the wind rushing in my ears..
Down, down, down we sped as I alternately prayed and cursed. Sometimes I was on my skis, sometimes my butt, I even went down backwards at one point. It seemed I could hear demonic laughter in the chattering of the skis. After what seemed like 12 or 15 hours on this e-ticket ride the trail widened out. The tall ice sides dropped down. It straightened out, flattened out and ended.
In the late winter Bavarian mud and gravel.
While the Army skis are poorly designed they at least do slide well on snow an ice.
On mud and gravel, not so much.
I was the first one in line to come to an abrupt stop. The other 50 or 60 men then plowed into me in rapid succession. Such a tangle of men, equipment and skis has probably not been seen since in Europe.

The good news is the only one witness to my fall from Caesar/Patton-like status was an old farmer on a honey wagon about 50 yards away. He seemed interested. I wondered what he did during The War.
Oh, and the half dozen A-teams behind me.

As the groans curses and wind noise abated, I thought I heard a voice in my ear....All Fame is fleeting.
I heard the incident became known as "The Charge of the Ice Brigade", but I could never confirm that. I think they put a statue up to honor me at the Olympic stadium.
Maybe not.

Bob

P.S.At least I know what a Luge is now.
Lazy Bob Ranch

Last edited by Utah Bob; 05-03-2009 at 04:40.
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 17:21   #2
PR31C
Guerrilla

Talking Good Times

Great story! Thanks for sharing
"A politician sees his family everyday; a deployed soldier once in 6 months or a year. A politician flies 1st class; a soldier flies in a C130. A politician's pension is not reduced; a soldier's is clawed 65%. A politician enjoys an expense account; a soldier must justify extra rations. A politician vows to defend their country; a soldier actually keeps that promise."

"Beware of fake quotes on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln.
PR31C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 17:37   #3
mojaveman
Area Commander

You're quite a story teller Bob and I laughed my butt off.

I did Winter training at Ft. Harrison, MT and had to use the cumbersome military skis but only for cross country. For the downhill portion we rented civilian ones. I didn't experience anything like you did though.

Hey you know what? It pays to know a second language.

Wiedersehen!

Last edited by mojaveman; 05-03-2009 at 01:41.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 17:58   #4
echoes
Area Commander

Utah Bob,

You seem to know a lot about Florida, Colorado, and Germany in the late 60's sir. Awesome!!!

holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 20:25   #5
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Thank kew. I'm here all week. Try the veal.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 20:32   #6
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

I had a chance to experience Army skis in 1965 at Garmisch. We trained to go to Bardofus, Norway and the Army issued us those infamous skis. winter gear to include field jackets and field pants with liners and parkas. We also experienced the ARKEOs (SP). Better than carrying the crew served weapons and tents and sleeping bags (but not by much).
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 20:49   #7
armymom1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
Thank kew. I'm here all week. Try the veal.
How's the lamb?

Good lord! what a trip... that must have been a real rush...

I keep seeing this whole keystone kops thing at the bottom of the hill in my mind.. I admit it, I just could not stop laughing. You are right, at the time it was not remotely funny. In retrospect......... at least you survived to tell the tale.
Old 05-02-2009, 22:43   #8
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Great story. Bet it took a long time to live down.... Damn LT's
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:00   #9
wet dog

January 1991, Northwind, Japan...

While most of the world was watching the news of Operation Desert Storm, and fearing the worst of desert warfare. Several SF ODA's were tasked to train elements of the 3/25 IF DIV, Schofield Field Barracks, HI in cold weather survival techniques, 450 troops in all, fresh off the plain wearing jungle fatigues and limited cold weather gear. The Japanese Self Defense Ground Forces, Hakado, Saporo, Japan were the primary ski instructors, and who loved the "Aiko" sleds. Saporo, Japan proved to be an excellent training facility. Rolling hill, deep snow and Saki - this is were we could begin to talk about the benefits of having Aikos on the team.

Following 15 days of training, skiing, ski-joring, (being pulled by track vehicles, 25-30 MPH - There's another story here, similar to any Key Stone Cop Comedy routine). We had a force on force FTX for another 7 days. Average temp., 40 below zero. The Aikos proved effective litters, crew served weapons carriers and improvised surgical tables.

If I ever had to go to war in that climate, I believe I would take snow shoes over skis any day and an aiko or two.

Last edited by wet dog; 05-04-2009 at 00:53.
Old 05-11-2009, 00:42   #10
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Next, after the solid ice surprise, came another. The angle of the narrow trail increased from 5 degrees to 25 degrees to OHMYGOD degrees. The sides of the trail rose on each side. I began to hear shouts from the long line of troops behind me. Perhaps a few curses. They faded away as the wind in my ears drowned out everything else after a few seconds. I wouldn't have been able to hear them anyway over the screams of terror. Mine.
Once you're skiing down an Olympic Luger trail (without the r), You don't have a lot of control. I suppose that's why they put up those 'Eintritt Verboten" signs. If you ever see an Eintritt Verboten sign turn around immediately. Germans, not known for their impish sense of humor, never kid about those.

So down we went at ever increasing speed. then we hit a corner. I'd never skied on a wall like that. Some of the guys took that opportunity to shoot right up and out of the Trail 'o Death at that point. Actually I'm not sure that it was by choice. I think they were yelling "Yahoo" but, as I said, I couldn't hear too well from the wind rushing in my ears..
Down, down, down we sped as I alternately prayed and cursed. Sometimes I was on my skis, sometimes my butt, I even went down backwards at one point. It seemed I could hear demonic laughter in the chattering of the skis. After what seemed like 12 or 15 hours on this e-ticket ride the trail widened out. The tall ice sides dropped down. It straightened out, flattened out and ended

Guys its late - and I'm tired - but Bob, your story is very familiar, on a smaller scale - I will relate the rest of it tomorrow if time permits. But, my story does include the following elements:

A Luge trail ( but the locals called it a Rodel Bahn."
Beer.
Schnaps.
Dark of night.
Speed.
Pain.
Ripped pants.
Safetypins.
Faschingzeit.
At least seven, soon to be in pain, SF daredevels.
One of them being me.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:51   #11
MagicOPromotion
BANNED USER

It wasnt funny at the time

I chose bucket because its an old wooden western style bathtub without a drain. Can you imagine the crazy people looking for a drain on that thing?
MagicOPromotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:22   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicOPromotion View Post
I chose bucket because its an old wooden western style bathtub without a drain. Can you imagine the crazy people looking for a drain on that thing?
Bye bye.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote