Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Professional Soldiers ® "Hall of Shame" > "Hall of Shame Inductees"

Old 04-29-2009, 17:26   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

James Holland's claims are more fiction than fact

Sleazy MFer...and an LEO to boot.

Quote:
The Veterans Day story portrayed Holland as a U.S. Army Ranger and member of the Special Forces. The story also stated Holland won the Distinguished Service Cross.

All three are false.
Richard's $.02

James Holland's claims are more fiction than fact
Tracy M. Neal, NWAnews, 29 Apr 2009

James Holland served more than 20 years in the U.S. Army, but he was never a U.S. Army Ranger, a Green Beret or a recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross.

Holland's military career came under scrutiny by veterans - both locally and nationally - after he was featured in a Veterans Day story in The Daily Record in November.

That story, as it turns out, was more fiction than fact.

"If I made any mistake, I'd like to apologize, but my record stands for itself," said Holland, a former Benton County Sheriff's Office deputy and now a bailiff for Benton County Circuit Court Judge Doug Schrantz. "If I did anything wrong or embarrassed anybody, then I apologize."

There have been two other stories concerning Holland and his military exploits published in The Daily Record and the Northwest Arkansas Times in previous years.

The inaccuracies by Holland may have gone unnoticed, but a veteran in the area became suspicious and forwarded the Veterans Day story to B.G. Burkett, one of the authors of the book "Stolen Valor."

Awarded ... or purchased?

A few months ago, Burkett called The Daily Record about Holland's story.

The Veterans Day story portrayed Holland as a U.S. Army Ranger and member of the Special Forces. The story also stated Holland won the Distinguished Service Cross.

All three are false.

Holland was never a Ranger or a Green Beret. He was never awarded the Army's highest award.

The Distinguished Service Cross was purchased for him by his father-in-law.

"I've never been awarded the Distinguished Service Cross or the Silver Star," Holland said. "I've never worn them."

The award was in a display case with Holland's other awards.

Holland said his father-inlaw made a display case for the medals that were awarded to Holland. His father-in-law also purchased a Ranger tab, an infantryman tab, the Silver Star and the Distinguished Service Cross.

Holland claims he never meant to give the impression he had received the Distinguished Service Cross or Silver Star by having them in the same display case with his awards.

"I did say those were my medals because my medals were in that case, but I didn't say that was my medal," Holland said in reference to the purchased Distinguished Service Cross.

The whole truth?

The Cross isn't the only point of contention.

What about the Ranger and Green Beret claims?

Asked if he had been a Rang er, Holland said, "I've been to Ranger training."

In an August 2007 Daily Record story, Holland was quoted as saying that while he was a Ranger in Vietnam, he jumped out of "perfectly good airplanes."

Asked recently if he jumped out of airplanes in Vietnam, Holland admitted he didn't jump out of planes while serving either of his two tours in Vietnam.

Holland said he had taken airborne training while in the Army.

After being questioned again about his status as a Ranger, Holland again referenced training, but later admitted that he was not an Army Ranger or in the Special Forces.

"You don't see me wearing a Green Beret or Ranger tab," he said.

Holland said he was closely associated with the two groups during his military career.

"I do hold awards and decorations," Holland said. "I do not claim anything that's not authorized for me. If that display case caused some embarrassment or anxiety, then I apologize."

But all of the errors are not contained in a display case.

Holland said in the Veterans Day story that he retired as a sergeant major, but he actually retired as a sergeant first class.

Holland said other soldiers referred to him as sergeant major after he temporarily served in that role, but he never attained the rank.

Burkett sent documents to The Daily Record that he obtained from Holland's military records, which are available under the Freedom of Information Act.

The Daily Record also filed an FOI request for Holland's military records but have yet to receive the documents.

Holland was shown the documents from Burkett; Holland confirmed they are his records.

Hazy on Hamburger Hill

After seeing the records several weeks ago, Holland then asserted that two other corrections needed to be made. One was a claim that he fought at Hamburger Hill in Vietnam. He also said in the story that he was a member of the 101st Airborne Division. Holland's records show he was in the United States at the time of that battle.

Holland said he confused Hamburger Hill with another battle he was involved with during his second tour in Vietnam. He also said he was not a member of the Airborne and was only attached to the Airborne, or Special Forces, while in Vietnam.

During that conversation weeks ago, Holland stood behind his military record and said his awards were earned.

At that time, he never disavowed having the Distinguished Service Cross. Holland also did not correct the claims of being a Ranger or in the Special Forces.

"He never graduated from Ranger training, and his name is not on the list of Special Forces members that served in Vietnam," Burkett said. "All those decorations for a truck driver?"

Another clue that caught Burkett's attention was a photograph of Holland with his awards, one of which was an infantryman badge. The only way to get one is to be a member of the infantry, which Holland was not, Burkett said.

Holland's military records show his first tour in Vietnam began July 28, 1967. Holland was a member and heavyequipment operator for the 572nd Engineering Transportation Company.

He became a member of the 815th Engineering Battalion on Nov. 24, 1967, and spent time as a light-truck driver and heavy-truck driver and heavyconstruction operator.

Holland's records show he took Ranger training for 10 weeks and basic airborne training for four weeks at Fort Gordon, Ga.

Burkett said both claims show Holland is not a member of the Special Forces or Rangers, because both training programs take place at Fort Benning, Ga.

Holland's records show that on Aug. 19, 1968, he was a heavy-vehicle operator at Fort Lewis, Wash. He returned to Vietnam for a second tour on July 5, 1971, as a heavy-truck driver with the 805th Transportation Company.

Holland maintains that other awards - a Bronze Star, Purple Hearts and other medals and citations - listed in his personnel file are rightfully his and were earned.

Holland claims he was wounded in 1968.

The Veterans Day article states that he risked his life and remained behind during a military engagement during the Tet offensive in order to engage the enemy and give other soldiers time to escape. That incident is true, Holland said, with one exception. He did not remain behind by himself, but rather with a platoon.

Holland also claims he was wounded during his second tour in Vietnam. He maintains that he received two Purple Hearts for his service in Vietnam.

No wounds from Grenada

An August 2007 story about Holland states that he said he had received a Purple Heart while involved in the conflict in Grenada.

Holland maintains he served in Grenada - not during the actual conflict, but after the fighting concluded. He was part of the cleanup crew.

He also was not wounded or injured in Grenada. Holland said he never received a Purple Heart for his service in Grenada.

Steve Jaeger, who is a member of the POW Network, said Holland's name was not on the jump manifest of either the 1st or 2nd Battalion Rangers involved in the operation in Grenada. Holland also is not a graduate of Ranger School, Jaeger said.

Holland said he never attempted to have any mistakes corrected.

"I didn't say anything because it doesn't bother me," Holland said. "There are some things that were wrong. I served my country, and I served my country with distinction."

'Everybody embellishes'

It's a federal crime for a person to claim he or she is a recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross.

Holland described the inaccuracies as mistakes or misunderstandings.

"I don't remember everything I've done," he said. "Can you remember where you were 40 years ago?"

Burkett has investigated dozens of fraudulent veteran claims. Some are veterans who stretched the truth about their military service. Some claims are from people who never donned a military uniform in a time of peace or war.

"Every town in America has phony vets," Burkett said. "They just don't know it. I can guarantee it."

Holland bristles at the thought of any criticism of his military career.

"Everybody embellishes things," Holland said. "I don't think there's a veteran out there that doesn't embellish something about his career."

http://nwanews.com/bcdr/News/72971/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Holland.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	11961  
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 18:32   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Thumbs down

Poser, plain and simple.

Claimed training, awards and decorations, units, combat, and rank he was not authorized.

He should lose his badge over this, IMHO.

Sorry son of a bitch.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 19:37   #3
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Lose your job and pension you sorry bastard.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:45   #4
csquare
Quiet Professional

I love his statement..... "everyone embellishes things"..... embellishing is saying the fish that got away was "THIS BIG".
Saying you jumped into combat, were a Ranger and SF is just plain lying. Isn't that a recruiter badge on his display? Maybe that is where he learn how to lie really good?
I do not regret a day I spent in uniform—I’m immensely proud of my service. If I’ve learned anything, I’ve learned what a truly remarkable thing it is to be a combat veteran. Now I want to live an exceptional life for those who never made it home.
csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:56   #5
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

I was waiting for him to say he MissSpoke.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:18   #6
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

What a jerk. Guys like this should be given a clown costume and made to wear it daily.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:54   #7
Stras
Quiet Professional

so, he has a MACV-SOG patch in the display case as well... WTF...

I collect military awards and decorations as a hobby. But they are in a separate display case from the one's I've earned.

This guy is a fraud and should be taken out back for some wall to wall counseling.

somebody hold him for me, so I can hit him with my crutch.

What a disgrace.. purportrating a fraud, and serving as a bailiff for a judge. It makes me sick.
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:02   #8
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Re: Wannabe.

This punk had a display case showing all these medals. Me thinks he had it in a place where he could impress his pals and quests. I know some retired SF pals with these type of boxes. The do not have any fake awards in them, and; they do not walk around talking about their awards, nor do they pull the box out.

Lying about Hamburger Hill, too. Jesus, I was in the 7th Field Hospital at Camp Oji, Japan when the poor bastards started coming in shot up. That was mid May 1969 when the first guys came in. I left on May 23, 1969.

Sadly, I had grown up with Gen Zais's son's. He was a two or three star back in 1959-60. One went to WP. I could not believe he ordered a WWII frontal assualt.

What a POS this guy is..
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:23   #9
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Re: MG Gen Zais

http://www.unh.edu/army/AlumniPage/pages/Zais.html

Gen Zais. Maybe he was a temporary BG then? I knew Barry and Mickey. Mickey was younger. CRS.
Old 04-30-2009, 14:03   #10
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Poser, plain and simple.

Claimed training, awards and decorations, units, combat, and rank he was not authorized.

He should lose his badge over this, IMHO.

Sorry son of a bitch.

TR
TR,your absolutely right, he should lose his badge, but he won't because he wasn't caught wearing his DSC or the other medals he claims to have been awarded. Like TS said unless you can get them wearing it, Green Beret,etc. The Stolen Valor Act would not apply and no crime is involed.......

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 14:09   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
TR,your absolutely right, he should lose his badge, but he won't because he wasn't caught wearing his DSC or the other medals he claims to have been awarded. Like TS said unless you can get them wearing it, Green Beret,etc. The Stolen Valor Act would not apply and no crime is involed.......

GB TFS
I am sorry to say, I disagree.

He could have worn all of those awards in the courtroom, and delivered an interview to Geraldo in prime time, and he would still not be charged because the US Attorneys apparently refuse to prosecute Stolen Valor cases.

If I were King, I would have the nearest SFA send a team to beat his ass and take the awards back, with a warning not to lie about his service again. They could inform him on the way out that being a Green Beret is a lot tougher than buying one.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 14:29   #12
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

If I were one of the criminals this bottom feeder put in jail I would appeal and cite the fact this Law Enforcement Officer is a scumbag liar.

Pretty bad when the LEO's cannot or will not police their own.
Old 04-30-2009, 15:04   #13
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I am sorry to say, I disagree.

He could have worn all of those awards in the courtroom, and delivered an interview to Geraldo in prime time, and he would still not be charged because the US Attorneys apparently refuse to prosecute Stolen Valor cases.

If I were King, I would have the nearest SFA send a team to beat his ass and take the awards back, with a warning not to lie about his service again. They could inform him on the way out that being a Green Beret is a lot tougher than buying one.

TR
Hmmmmmmmmn, I'm on conleave the next 30 days......... Never been to Benton County, AR, but always wanted to go there.
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 15:49   #14
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
If I were one of the criminals this bottom feeder put in jail I would appeal and cite the fact this Law Enforcement Officer is a scumbag liar.

Pretty bad when the LEO's cannot or will not police their own.
Point well taken,all "our" LEO's out there should contact the Chief of Police where James Holland's works and tell him what a disgrace this man is to his county, and the LEO profession and should take the appropriate action on this.........

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 22:17   #15
alright4u
Quiet Professional

RE" This Poser and All Like Him,"

Why do men refuse to say I was a cook,clerk, supply SGT, truck driver etc.

We needed them all.

Jon