Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 03-18-2009, 10:48   #1
Silverback6
Asset

Great alternative to Crossfit

Check out this website, it's a great alternative to crossfit and everything is free!
www.xlathlete.com has a lot of great information and work outs written by professional strength and conditioning coaches. Here are some of the links to free work outs for the combat athlete.

Treadmill workouts
http://xlathlete.com/browse_drills.j...8&drill_type=0

Core Workouts

Super endurance workouts

Tabata Intervals

Plate Workouts

Adaptability training

Thanks,
Silverback6
Old 03-18-2009, 13:52   #2
MeC86
Guerrilla

Everything on the Crossfit site is free as well. Many of the coaches there (Mark Rippetoe, Josh Everett, Dave Castro, Mike Burgener...etc.) are high level strength and conditioning coaches. I have personally emailed them before and received responses to any of my questions regarding fitness......free.
MeC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 16:22   #3
MILON
Guerrilla

I think getting defensive about crossfit is overlooking something very important here. Silverback6 just provided another resource anyone can use to help improve their performance as an athlete. I have used XLathlete in the past and have found it to be extremely helpful, full of exercise videos, programs, and great articles written by qualified people in the performance enhancement field. And actually, I've also referred to Crossfit, Mountain Athlete, Blitz and a number of other resources on occasion. IMHO, XLathlete is of greater quality, but thats not the point I am trying to make. Take any resource you can, think critically, and learn somthing.
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 17:03   #4
MeC86
Guerrilla

Agreed. I just wasn't sure if Silverback was under the impression that information on crossfit was gained at a cost since the title to the thread was "Great alternative to Crossfit." I've never thought that crossfit was the only way to superior fitness (that has been discussed here before). There are a lot of great fitness programs pushing people to exercise in a way that is applicable to real life scenarios. If that is the goal....it has my vote.
MeC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 19:08   #5
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

It Isn't.

cross fit isn't the only way to superior fitness. Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 19:25   #6
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Strating the Blitz myself.

Tuesday I will with my son start Blitzing. I'm overweight and 61 Yo. will post results later, maybe weekly.. Blitz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-22-2009, 19:51   #7
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Blitzzz,

Hey I started to half-assed play aound with the protocol that you provided. I know I wasn't following it exactly but I have followed the general protocol ... light weight, high reps (done explosively) for time and I have, in 2 weeks noticed a difference. My wife thinks that I've bulked up (visually my muscles look bigger) but I'll have to contest one of your comments on DOMS. MY muscles were/are sore as hell!

I've lifted weights for years... used to powerlift and lifted to play HS and College fooball ... and I've never tried lifting like described in the Blitzzz program.... so it's been good for me mentally the last couple of weeks (something different) and hey, if I'm sore as hell it's got to be helping, right?

I'm thinking that a combination of the lifting protocol that you recommend along with the style of workouts that are promoted on rosstraining.com/crossfit would be a kick ass combo.
Old 03-22-2009, 22:41   #8
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

That's a big no to the Soreness.

All it tells me is you're not blitzing by it's self, and or you are using too much weight. The weight you should be using is 1/3 of one RM and do not increase that weight until you have acomplished 3 circuits at "GOAL REP"S SPEEDS. If you need a copy of Performance points or some other piece of the Blitz paper work , just ask.

You can call me at home at (PM me for the Phone Number) and get a verbal..

You should not have any pain if done by specs. Blitzzz

NOTE: "sore as hell" indicates micro tears of the muscle tissue.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 03-24-2009 at 16:30.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:17   #9
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

Blitzing?

What is the Blitzing protocol?
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:57   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
What is the Blitzing protocol?
Search button broken?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 17:20   #11
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Search button broken?

TR
Joey, Joey, Joey. . . Don't tell me you didn't see this coming.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 21:34   #12
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzzz View Post
All it tells me is you're not blitzing by it's self, and or you are using too much weight. The weight you should be using is 1/3 of one RM and do not increase that weight until you have acomplished 3 circuits at "GOAL REP"S SPEEDS. If you need a copy of Performance points or some other piece of the Blitz paper work , just ask.

You can call me at home at (PM me for the Phone Number) and get a verbal..

You should not have any pain if done by specs. Blitzzz

NOTE: "sore as hell" indicates micro tears of the muscle tissue.

Got it. Too much weight. Didn't have your stuff with me on exactly how to figure out the start weight, so I just picked something in girl-weight territory and started in. Regardless... I got humbled.

WIll have to try it the right way. Need to figure out how to work around the limitations of the place where I work out....and get myself committed to good record-keeping.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:32   #13
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

No really i didnt mean , i just meant...... ahh screw it I was lazy.
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 14:56   #14
RLK
Asset

Awesome post.

There's another similar site at: http://www.mtnathlete.com/
Old 03-30-2009, 19:04   #15
dmgedgoods
Guerrilla

Started semi-blitzing about 3-4 weeks ago. Time has been tight, but have found that it compliments my current morning isometric workouts at work. Hopefully work backs off some, and I get some more time for "me". Blitzzz is a great source of information about this routine

Shawn