Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Ammo Talk

Old 02-07-2009, 22:32   #1
Paslode
Area Commander

American Ballistics M118LR

I did a search and found nothing so I am going to ask.

Might anyone have any experience with or opinions on American Ballistics M118LR ammo?
Old 02-08-2009, 20:44   #2
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
I did a search and found nothing so I am going to ask. Might anyone have any experience with or opinions on American Ballistics M118LR ammo?
Paslode:

Link us to what ever American Ballistics M-118 ammo is.

I doubt it will be anything different than M-118 Special Ball ammo except perhaps mean radius if the wannabees there knows what that means.

Take a 175 grain Sierra Match King and load it with what ever powder, primer, and case you find that comes close to giving you about 2610 FPS plus or minus maybe 10 fps from your particular rifle and you have the equivalent of M-118 LR and SB from an M-24 rifle in terms of elevation.

So what was your question 'zakly'?

'LR1947 (+ 8)'
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 21:38   #3
LR27
Auxiliary

Quote:
I did a search and found nothing so I am going to ask.

Might anyone have any experience with or opinions on American Ballistics M118LR ammo?
If you Google 'American Ballistics M118LR,' there are several results that lead to Sniper's Hide forums, where the ammo is discussed there.

"Selection is a never ending process." - Anonymous Special Operations soldier
LR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 21:49   #4
Paslode
Area Commander

Here is the links Sir,

http://www.amballistics.com/id20.htm

http://usarmorment.com/m118lr-762-17...d-box-p-1.html

I did read the Sniperhide forum LongRange and several other forums as well. Some said it was a-okay, others said it was crap and many said hand load your own with Varget and SMK's.....I always get better answers here.

The price isn't much more than Wolf/PPU Gold ($15.99 vs. $19.99 per 20) and I was interested in finding out if anyone here has used it and what their thought on it might be. At present SMK's, Primers and Powder are no problem to find around here, but .308 cases are non-existant. Ammo is slim pickings as well., Cabelas had 'one' box of 308 on the shelf.

What am I using it for? Non-competitive paper.

Thanks,

Paslode

Last edited by Paslode; 02-08-2009 at 22:00.
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 22:39   #5
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Personal opinion - roll your own. Check out http://www.gibrass.com, he's usually got some decent brass. The only thing you really need to know is the bullet, its Ballistic Coefficient, and the velocity out of your rifle. Gene Econ gave you the starting point. FWIW (insert appropriate disclaimers here) I use 41.6 gr of IMR 4895 in a LC90 case with a F210M primer to push a 175 SMK at 2600 +/- 15. It does everything I need and the consistency means my ballistics program actually produces useable results. If you are not an experienced reloader you need to work with someone who is. DO NOT start your journey reloading for a gas gun! (Warning - GI brass generally has a smaller case capacity and requires reducing starting loads developed for commercial brass. Always observe for signs of excess pressure and use a chronograph when working up loads.) JFTFOI - Here's a link to a BASIC ballistics calculator: http://www.perfectunion.com/images/B...Calculator.xls HTH
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 20:26   #6
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Personal opinion - roll your own. Check out http://www.gibrass.com, he's usually got some decent brass. The only thing you really need to know is the bullet, its Ballistic Coefficient, and the velocity out of your rifle. Gene Econ gave you the starting point. FWIW (insert appropriate disclaimers here) I use 41.6 gr of IMR 4895 in a LC90 case with a F210M primer to push a 175 SMK at 2600 +/- 15. It does everything I need and the consistency means my ballistics program actually produces useable results. If you are not an experienced reloader you need to work with someone who is. DO NOT start your journey reloading for a gas gun! (Warning - GI brass generally has a smaller case capacity and requires reducing starting loads developed for commercial brass. Always observe for signs of excess pressure and use a chronograph when working up loads.) JFTFOI - Here's a link to a BASIC ballistics calculator: http://www.perfectunion.com/images/B...Calculator.xls HTH
PG:

Damn man -- why not just give them a hold harmless agreement to sign? He, he, he.

Cognitive Dissonance theory has been considered obsolete for years. I see evidence of its honesty and validity daily.

See you all in about four weeks!

Gene
Old 02-09-2009, 21:09   #7
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Gene - Looking forward to it!.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

Old 02-09-2009, 21:39   #8
Paslode
Area Commander

Not too worry, I offically take full responsibility of what I do or don't do with the information I obtain on this website and hold you harmless of any mishaps and any damages resulting from said mishaps.

I have a Rockchucker and have been reloading 5.56 for about 4 months and have always stayed below the recommended maximums because I have much to learn....and it sounds like I need to invest in a chrono.
Old 02-09-2009, 22:03   #9
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Not too worry, I offically take full responsibility of what I do or don't do with the information I obtain on this website and hold you harmless of any mishaps and any damages resulting from said mishaps.

I have a Rockchucker and have been reloading 5.56 for about 4 months and have always stayed below the recommended maximums because I have much to learn....and it sounds like I need to invest in a chrono.
Paslode:

So, tell us the main effect of using a Rock Chucker press for your reloads?

Does your reloaded ammunition know it was loaded using a Rochchucker press and if so, can you prove that the ammunition is different than when loaded using other presses?

He, he, he. All in fun.

You won't go wrong with a load of 41 grains of IMR or Hodgdon 4895 with any .308 bullet to about 185 grains using any prmer and any brass. The Army used 42 grains of the stuff with its M-852 match and I have found up to 43 grains with a extruded powder of which I have no clue and the issued M-118 Long Range.

42 grains of Reloader 15 or Varget ought to do the trick too.

What ever you use, get a decent Chrono (I use a CED Millineum with IR Sky Screens and a four foot distance between sensors). A chorono will give you an idea of the velocity and consitency but not pressures.

You can check pressures by comparing sized brass to expanded brass if you have a decent micrometer but better yet is by visual inspection of your brass on firing.

Here I will let PG / Hollis give you the poop as I am fatigued.

Gene
Old 02-09-2009, 22:11   #10
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Nope - It's Hollis' turn. I'm headed for bed.

Old 02-09-2009, 22:33   #11
Paslode
Area Commander

The main effect of the Rockchucker or any press is cost saving for me (unless you add a labor rate into calculation), but tighter groups and fewer flyers are added benefits. Hand loading is a challenge as well, nice to see something work and find ways to do it better.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:10   #12
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

HIJACK!!!! Gene, when are you coming by? End of HIJACK!!

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 20:06   #13
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
HIJACK!!!! Gene, when are you coming by? End of HIJACK!!
Rick / Peregrino / T.R. / M.C. et. al.

Looking on flying there on the 15th (Sunday) and linking up either Mon, Tues, or Wed at McCellars for some BBQ and conversation per SOP. You tell us what day is best for you.

This is an open invitation to folks here that we link up once a year or so for lunch and fascinating conversation at McCellars and then go our ways. Such conversations reinforce in my mind exactly what 'professional' looks and sounds like. Anyone is welcome. Just take part.

"Training is everything and everything is training." (K. C. Lewer, 1978) He, he, he. That ought to get things rocking.

Gene
Old 02-10-2009, 20:12   #14
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The main effect of the Rockchucker or any press is cost saving for me (unless you add a labor rate into calculation), but tighter groups and fewer flyers are added benefits. Hand loading is a challenge as well, nice to see something work and find ways to do it better.
Paslode:

Well then, you just 'cost save' your ass a BC message to me detailing your requirements in terms of gear.

Oh yes, if you do, state your Christian name up front please. I hate talking to a fake name.

Gene
Old 02-12-2009, 20:22   #15
Paslode
Area Commander

Peregrino,

Last week I zeroed my Rem 700 @100 yds with some factory Hornaday. Then earlier this week I when I got home loaded up some 150 GR SMK's with 41gr of Benchmark.

Today I took it out to the lake set up the target on the far side which is 230 to 250 yds. Then came home and checked my corrections with the chart and I was 1 windage click off from what was stated on the chart and right on the money with elevation.

That chart is a slick gizmo!