Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 01-26-2009, 17:11   #1
Scimitar
Area Commander

Running / Rucking train-up advice

Good morning gentlemen,

My knees have finally healed to the point (Only took 24 mths!) where I have been given permission to start a Running / Rucking training program.
I am seeking some specific advice from those in the know.
Any advice is appreciated

__________________________________________________ _____

Firstly let me lay out my planned program.

Standard Running Program
Running Program Link (refer to section 2)

I am using a standard 3 point running program
1. Long Slow Distance (LSDs)
2. Fast Continuous Training (FCTs)
3. Interval Training (ITs)
...Nothing special there

My question is - What are the distance limits I should build up to?

Obviously the answer to this question is affected by the events that I am training for.
At this point in time my run focus would likely be the 2-4-6 mile run tests for the 19th Group INDOC PT Test. Link

QUESTION 1:
A) Are these goals still correct or have there been changes. My recruiter is unsure.
B) If they are accurate would appreciate any feedback on having these as training goals?
C) I understand that SFAS runs etc will be a hell of a lot longer then 6 miles, but due to training time constraints and the assumption that the SOPC course will train me up for those longer distances, I have tentatively decided to train for the 25m mark. Feedback on this specific decision would be appreciated?

QUESTION 2:
Assuming the 2, 4, and 6 mile runs as goals.
A) What Long Slow Distance should I build up to? 6 miles? Further?
B) What Fast Continuous Training distance should I build up to? 6 miles again? More / Less?
C) For Interval Training I believe I should build up to 12 interval sets, but welcome any thoughts on this.
D) I don't imagine that there is any real need to specifically train for the smaller distances, perhaps just some pacing runs to get a feel for them? Otherwise focus on the longest distance - 6 miles. Feedback welcome.

Standard Rucking Program

Again, I'm training for the 19th Group INDOC PT test of a 2hr 12mile Ruck. Link
I will train to a 3hr Ruck to save the knees and throw in a few 2 hrs one at the end to get a feel for them. I understand that it is not advised to continually undertake such fast Rucking.

A) I assume, no need to train for an 18 miler at this point, but it may not hurt to throw a few in there at the end, just to get a feel for them mentally, any thoughts?
B) This link Rucking Program Link shows the Rucking program I am planning on using any feedback on it is appreciated.

Lastly, I understand the need to meld the running / Rucking programs to mitigate over training. So got that base covered, and I do have a fair idea of variable training to combat plateau-ing.

Look forward to comments and thank you for your time.

Regards

Scimitar

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 18:00   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Not to be an ass, but seriously... You have been here long enough to have read every thread posted here on running and rucking.

I will tell you though that you shouldnt ruck with more than 55 lbs.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 01-26-2009 at 18:10.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 20:55   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I will add that 12 miles in 2 hours is a ruck run, more of a jog, actually.

Hard on the joints.

And Crip is right, do we need to flog this deceased equine further?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 22:09   #4
Scimitar
Area Commander

Roger that Gentlemen,

Thanks you for the replies and PMs

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:30   #5
Razor
Quiet Professional

I once did a 12 mile ruck to EIB load standards (which equates to far less than a 45lb dry weight ruck) in 2 hours, but I jogged probably 95% of the route. I wouldn't recommend this as a sustainable training event.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 00:55   #6
PinelandVet66
Quiet Professional

Ruck running is never the preferred technique but if you have to make time for something then so be it. Suffer in silence later. Ruck running is terrible on your joints as stated before!
PinelandVet66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:51   #7
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Rucking and running.

A bad, bad thing. If you learn to walk faster, that should be good enough to pass anything required. You can start by timming 200 meters full load walks. (after a mild warm up of a mile or so.) Use that time to begin quickening you pace and lengthening your stride. Just to lengthen stride will encrease speed/shorten times. Payattenton to stride lengths and pace. Notice when the changes occur as you fatique and force your pace . Later this will help with "pace count" during land Navs. Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:18   #8
MILON
Guerrilla

Soldiers Load Carriage Review

I recently came across a review published in Military Medicine that may be of interest to some of the readers here. It reviews the effects of the soldier's load carriage from a historical, physiological, biomechanical and medical point of view. It supports much of what has been recommended. The entire study is too large to attach, so the abstract and conclusion section are attached here. If you are you would like a copy of the entire document, just PM me with your email. The study could be applied to the medical section as well, but I thought it would be appropriate here given the current discussion on this thread.

Milon
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Soldiers Load Carriage Review.pdf (600.0 KB, 235 views)
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 18:54   #9
Cougar6zulu
Asset

Quote:
I once did a 12 mile ruck to EIB load standards -RAZOR
I know this is a little off subject but when is searched EIB STANDARDS this thread came up........if i may!

I am in the train up phase of EIB here in Baumholder right now. I am not Infantry, but i must say I am very disappointed in how senior NCO's allow such a decline in standards. The "Global War On Terror" does not mean less professional in garrison. I had read while researching the parameters for the EIB, that it is supposed to be conducted by actual EIB recipients and not some Punk A$$ FA Smoke Daddy that thinks he is High Speed. There was no team from Ft. Benning! Further more i don't think they actually conviened an EIB board. This is one of the instances that led me to post in the "Significance V. importance" thread. As a SSG i can only call out so many CSM's before they start to crush my world. Oh- well 38 more days till I leave mediocrity!

"TANK GOD AND GIVER OF LIFE TO ALL THINGS MECHANICAL"

Last edited by Cougar6zulu; 01-18-2010 at 03:25.
Cougar6zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 14:58   #10
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

running and rucking program

Scimtar,
This is a great area for advice on running and rucking as you say. My question is, what advice did you get from your Dr./Dr's? What type of injury did you have?
Boomer
Boomer-61 is offline   Reply With Quote