Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 20th Group

Old 11-20-2008, 16:15   #1
quietstorm3155
Asset

Roanoke Rapids or Ocala

QP's,

I live outside of Ft.Drum NY and I am wanting to join the 20th Group. I would like to be assigned to the 3/20. I want to leave NY and I was planning on living in Daytona beach, which is close to Ocala. But I was also interested in Roanoke Rapids as well and living closer to the D.C. or VA Beach area (based on jobs) and driving down for training etc.
What do you guys suggest, and your thoughts on these two options. I am focusing on the 25m target but Im trying to select which range I will use, so to speak.
Thanks for you input on this thread or PM's.
Back to PT
quietstorm3155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 18:12   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Do you have a job? Is your company transferring you?

My Daughter & son-in-law live in the area where I95 starts into the mess,, I495& I395. I live in Florida. Momma wants to move closer to the G-kids.. Get the picture? I have been contemplating a move for the last 3 yrs..

Here are some points I have been tracking.

Florida has no income tax - Vagina does.
The Ocala area has cheep living,, Daytona upscale, but livable.
Bowling Green(Co B) area can be cheep,, closer to DC it's outragious..
Florida gets some windy storms,, Va has snow..
Florida pay scale is several notches lower than the DC area, But so is the cost of living..
Both areas have good bird & deer hunting available..
Florida has the best fishing in the world, both salt & fresh water..
Florida has a lot of great college football teams,, Va sucks...

#1 priority is a job,, look at your job as the 1st most be right,, if you get what you want & need,, both areas will fill in the rest..

With directv,, you can even watch great Florida football from Va!!!

Good Luck..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 18:17   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Are you single?
Old 11-20-2008, 19:17   #4
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Sort your employment issues out, than affiliate with whoever is closer. FWIW, I affiliated with B Co and drove to drill from VA.

x/S
exsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 19:49   #5
CSB
Quiet Professional

Ocala has pro-military civilian population, and if you are a freefaller, Deland is 20 minutes from Daytona Beach.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 23:08   #6
quietstorm3155
Asset

Guys thanks for the input here and via PM.

JJ BPK: You bring up great points. I am looking at a location to call home but has great outdoor and job oppurtunities. I am a hunter and a person whom loves the water and beaches. I also Scuba dive and waterki. Snowboad but am also a biker(Got 5 bikes) I have researched the homes in Daytona but not the NC/VA area as of yet. You bring a good point about FL no income tax.

Team Sergeant: I am not married.

Exsquid: I am a contractor and make decent money but theres no job satifaction. And the guys coming on board these days are not well vetted and I have seen a number of safety issues and unqualified personnel as well as alcoholics. I want to train hard and join the ranks of you fine men. The men that do the jobs that few are able and unwilling to do. As far as a civilian job... I want to be a Fed. One of the (3 letter agencies). That was one reason for the DC area train of thought. Do you know of SF ARNG able to do this? I am also open to Law Enforce until I can become a Fed. employee. Exsquid and other QPs do you have any input on this?

CSB: Good point on Deland. Guess that'd be a place to go when I get the proper quals.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the NQP progam at NC and the one at FL.

Guys thanks for the input thus far. Your time in answering my quetions is important to me and is greatly appreciated. This is something I have wanted to do for years and I am starting to put the pieces of the puzzle together with your help. Again, Thank you.

Feel feem to PM me or we can continue on this thread.
Old 11-26-2008, 20:57   #7
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

The NQP program in FL is good. NQPs are separated from teams and are trained by a cadre for SFAS and success in the SFQC. You would not go wrong becoming an NQP in FL.

I don't know what they do in NC. I know some guys in that unit and they're good ppl.

But FL is pretty organized by ARNG SF standards.
Old 03-30-2009, 16:33   #8
quietstorm3155
Asset

UPDATE

Gentlemen,

Just updating. I didn't want to have a few post to my name in regards to joining the SF ARNG and then disappearing from the board, as I've seen some members do. I am still 100% committed! I am still contracting in Iraq as originally planned. After I increase my savings over this next year, I will be relocating to Daytona Beach to join the 20th group NQP program, and get started in the SOPC. My reasoning, is that I want to be committed to training, and not have to worry about my finances for a little bit... In case I'm w/o a job for a month or two as I relocate.

Now, is it possible to affiliate myself with the 20th group, say, part/full time while training under the NQP/SOPC program and get paid. I guess I would be a "hang around" of sorts. I figured it would be beneficial to be on the training grounds more than the normal 1 weekend a month, while performing additional duties in between mandatory drilling. Any thoughts?
Old 03-30-2009, 17:33   #9
18D4VRWB
Quiet Professional

I took a very similiar path with contracting providing me some funds between deployments although I was already MOSQ so this would be the difference. You should contact the FL State recruiter, explain your intentions to join C Co or A Co 3/20th (SF) and make your move. Do not let the process drag out. Get the contract, show up and meet the NQP PLT and give 110%. On day one be able to max all PT events and have whatever paperwork ready to go. Your goal should be 3 months or 3 drills and ship for selection. Have your personnnel life in order to get to the Q ASAP afterwords. Too many times, the process gets drawn out and the unexpected arrises. Show up, ship and get qualified for our next trip. It will be worth it!
18D4VRWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:16   #10
hetzer
Asset

When you re-locate to Daytona hit me up on PM.
hetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 20:22   #11
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Once you join the ARNG Guard in FL you will get paid for drills you attend for training, whether as an NQP or not.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:46   #12
booker
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Florida has a lot of great college football teams,, Va sucks...
No one outside of Charlottesville roots for UVA- Virginia Tech has the only good football team in the Commonwealth.

The cost of living things is a really big factor, Virginia Beach/Northern Virginia is outrageously expensive. Now if you like sitting in traffic, be my guest...
Old 04-18-2009, 21:57   #13
armymom1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzer View Post
When you re-locate to Daytona hit me up on PM.
I grew up in Central Fla.. family still there.. PM me as well..anything I can do or help just ask..
Old 04-19-2009, 00:56   #14
quietstorm3155
Asset

Thanks for all the recent replies everyone.

18D4VRWB: Are you contracting now? I've seen a number of SF types in uniform here, but either I have been busy on duty (security type) or they have been busy so I haven't had a chance to speak with or introduce my self to the men. I am at FOB Prosperity / Camp Olympia.

D9: To clarify my question sir, I was inquiring as to if I wanted to be full time guard at the training site between drills and get paid. Instead of working part-time somewhere and then showing up ONLY on drill weekends. I was wanting to show up in uniform everyday and absorb as much as I can from the unit even when not drilling. I was wanting to be on site, as NQP or Non-MOSQ'd, go to SFAS, to The Q, and then straight to Team. I guess that is a question that I will ask the recruiter as well. Thanks.

Also to the responses of allowing me to contact once I relocate. Thanks. It means a lot, and I'm sure I'll hit some of you up on that offer. As for me I've been to the bike races and Daytona 500. I am not familiar with the area so much, but I do have family that live in Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral that I visit from time to time. For now looking at homes in Daytona online. When I go out on one of my rotations I plan on staying in a hotel and then doing some house hunting in person.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:11   #15
armymom1228

look around New Smyrna Bch. About 20-30 min south on the Atlantic and considerably less expensive.
Range out west and north as well... traffic in that area is doable.
Florida has a fantastic back roads system that can get you pretty much anywhere almost as fast as an interstate, with less traffic.
Trust me, you don't want to live IN Daytona when bike week is happening..
As a tourist it is not so bad..as a local... it is massive PIA.

here look a bit at these towns.
Deland
Deltona
Lake Mary
Orange City
Eaustis and Mt Dora are a bit further inland but and hour and a half out.. but quiet and a lot less expensive
New Smyrna Bch and Edgewater to the south..
Palm Coast, Flagler beach to the direct north..
Palatka and Green Cove Springs to the NW

One of the nicer things about that particular section of Florida is that most things are not that far away.. driving time. coast to coast on SR 40 that goes thru the Ocala Natl Forest through Ocala and ends at Dunellon on the west coast) is that it is only a 3 hr drive.

My mom lives in Crystal River from there to Starke is roughly 2 hours all back roads more or less.

The inland lakes George, and all that .. are awesome for bass fishing.

My personal preference for Florida is still and always will be the SW coast Or the area just west of Gainesville towards Bell or Perry. . We call it the Big Bend area Still very very rural and redneck.. absolutely my kind of woods.
A lot of the area is planted pine for paper mills so it is not subject to development. That part of Florida has a low incidence of Hurricanes. Now watch.. this year we shall get two one coming in at Cedar Key and the other Jax.

As I said PM me if i can be of any help.. When you start talking to Realtors ask about flood insurance. I would recommend you try real hard to not get into one.. Even USAA has pulled out of Florida for writing new policies.
The ones who are writing in Florida have a waiver for hurricane damage.. I think it is something like 2 or 5% of damage off the top and above your deductible then they start paying.. IF you already have a policy with USAA on another house, then they might allow you to switch it to the new house. The only exception is for active duty and they will write new for them only.. Can ya tell I have been on the phone with them recently.

I would offer this suggestion. Considering the state of the RE market at the moment. There are some really good deals out there. Contact a RE broker and start to work with them. We all have access to the MLS listing and might be able to steer you to something even better than you can find out on your own. Don't worry about the distance. I did deals via phone and fax with th owners either buying or selling either to or from Europe, Indonesia and a few other exotic places. NO, my brokers license is currently inactive and will remain so for the forseeable future. What will happen is you ask for a 'buyers-broker" someone who will represent your interest. Most of the time you don't have to pay them.. they get thier commision via the sale of the house. But be sure to ask and make that a stipulatoin if you have to..
Do NOT get a 'manufactured home." It might not look like an aluminum tornado magnet but that is exactly what it is under another name. 1960's era homes are eminantly more suitable to withstanding hurricane damage than newer homes. Also built for the climate. It is depends exatly what you want and where you want it.. I would seriously once, you find what you are interested in.. drive around the neighborhood at difference hours of the day.. like friday and sat night (if you don't like loud parties)..
and finaly remember 'handyman special' could mean it is trashed, 'waterfront' could mean the ditch in the back gets sorta kinda wet at high tide, 'waterfront view' could mean a cot under a bridge.. YMMV
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm3155 View Post
Thanks for all the recent replies everyone.

18D4VRWB: Are you contracting now? I've seen a number of SF types in uniform here, but either I have been busy on duty (security type) or they have been busy so I haven't had a chance to speak with or introduce my self to the men. I am at FOB Prosperity / Camp Olympia.

D9: To clarify my question sir, I was inquiring as to if I wanted to be full time guard at the training site between drills and get paid. Instead of working part-time somewhere and then showing up ONLY on drill weekends. I was wanting to show up in uniform everyday and absorb as much as I can from the unit even when not drilling. I was wanting to be on site, as NQP or Non-MOSQ'd, go to SFAS, to The Q, and then straight to Team. I guess that is a question that I will ask the recruiter as well. Thanks.

Also to the responses of allowing me to contact once I relocate. Thanks. It means a lot, and I'm sure I'll hit some of you up on that offer. As for me I've been to the bike races and Daytona 500. I am not familiar with the area so much, but I do have family that live in Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral that I visit from time to time. For now looking at homes in Daytona online. When I go out on one of my rotations I plan on staying in a hotel and then doing some house hunting in person.

Thanks again for everyone's input.