Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 09-03-2008, 09:20   #1
MAB32

EPIRB's and ELT's.....

Been doing some research, not much but some on the new stlye(s) of EPIRB's, ELT's, and PLB's. For those that don't understand what I am talking about here is what each one stands for:

1) EPIRB - Stands for Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons. Usually found on ships and small craft.
2) ELT - Stands for Emergency Locating Transmitter. Usually found on aircraft.
3) PLB - Stands for Personal Locating Beacon. Usually found on one's person.

Now, as of February 1, 2009 these devices will no longer be monitered. What this means is that anything that transmits on 121.5/243 (military guard channel) MHz will be bad ju ju if you own one and have an emergency out in the middle of nowhere (this is the place whereby most survival incidents occur). The new emergency transmitting frequency for all over the world will then become 406MHz which is much more accurate because it entails almost all of the satellites floating in outer space.

I am wondering here if anybody else is planning on buying the new type or if somebody here has already bought one. If you have already bought one I'd like to here which model you did buy and why. I have already been over to "www.Equippedtosurvive.com" in case you are using that as a your guide.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:16   #2
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
Been doing some research, not much but some on the new stlye(s) of EPIRB's, ELT's, and PLB's. For those that don't understand what I am talking about here is what each one stands for:

1) EPIRB - Stands for Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons. Usually found on ships and small craft.
2) ELT - Stands for Emergency Locating Transmitter. Usually found on aircraft.
3) PLB - Stands for Personal Locating Beacon. Usually found on one's person.

Now, as of February 1, 2009 these devices will no longer be monitered. What this means is that anything that transmits on 121.5/243 (military guard channel) MHz will be bad ju ju if you own one and have an emergency out in the middle of nowhere (this is the place whereby most survival incidents occur). The new emergency transmitting frequency for all over the world will then become 406MHz which is much more accurate because it entails almost all of the satellites floating in outer space.

I am wondering here if anybody else is planning on buying the new type or if somebody here has already bought one. If you have already bought one I'd like to here which model you did buy and why. I have already been over to "www.Equippedtosurvive.com" in case you are using that as a your guide.

Thanks!
Where are you getting this info that it will no longer be Monitered? I have not heard of this an our HQ in DC has not eithor. NOA and NRC etc have monitiors 24x7 to support Civ and Gov deacons.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:21   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

He is correct;

http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/faq.html
Old 09-14-2008, 19:48   #4
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Thanks I just checked the PLB in my vest and it is the proper Freq. Never really looked at that. All the ones we have are the newer PLB's and they are all the 406 mhz ones.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 21:22   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Thanks I just checked the PLB in my vest and it is the proper Freq. Never really looked at that. All the ones we have are the newer PLB's and they are all the 406 mhz ones.
Let me know when you need a new/better communications Sergeant....... I do consulting.