Old 05-24-2008, 21:09   #1
fearnoone
Asset

Question Recruitment Question

QP veterans and 20th Recruiter’s how would I have to go about setting up an interview with the 20th Commander, out of Chicago, to see if they need any outside branch slots filled-MI, Signal, Medical, etc. The reason that I ask is because I am scheduled to commission this summer at Fort Lewis and I need to have a NG or Res components letter of request, for me to join their unit, or else TRADOC will assign me to an AD component . I hope that this makes sense, because I am sure that if it does not some QP veterans will point me in the right direction! Thanks FNO

Last edited by fearnoone; 05-25-2008 at 00:49. Reason: spelling
fearnoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 13:48   #2
fearnoone
Asset

My questions have been answered by W01 Murphy, so there is no need for any responses to this thread. FNO
Old 06-16-2008, 06:27   #3
greyshade
Quiet Professional

Hello, I hope I am not out of line in adding to this thread. I'm from Illinois and am currently AD USAF, E-4, on a 1 yr deployment supporting Army. When I return I will have less than 5 months on a 4yr enlistment and I'm punching out. I would like to enlist Army NG for Special Forces to stay in Illinois to pursue a civilian law enforcement position. I contacted a NG, non SF, recruiter and I felt that; A. He knew little of what I was asking, B. He was not willing to work with me, C. I wasted a moral call. I am unsure if it would be out of line to contact the IL. NG SF recruiter outright? I would like to get some current & correct info. I have managed to find a plethora of information on this site, and thank you for that.

One question I still have is; would I be eligible to use the REP63 program or a program similar? Or would I first have to join the NG and then tryout? My preference would be to enter the NG and have a guarantee that I can go to selection.

I apologize if this question has been thrown around before. I promise I have done all the research that this Iraqi made Internet will allow me to do.
greyshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:15   #4
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshade View Post
I contacted a NG, non SF, recruiter and I felt that; A. He knew little of what I was asking, B. He was not willing to work with me, C. I wasted a moral call. I am unsure if it would be out of line to contact the IL. NG SF recruiter outright? I would like to get some current & correct info. I have managed to find a plethora of information on this site, and thank you for that.
GS:

Contacting a regular NG recruiter asking about SF is no different than contacting a Air Force recruiter and wanting to talk about being a PJ. Unless the recruiter has been a SF soldier or a PJ, or is the SF recruiter for the specific unit you have questions about, chances are they are as clueless as the person asking the questions.

I would contact the unit itself and ask questions. They can provide you with the POC for a recruiter who can help you with most everything else.

Quote:
One question I still have is; would I be eligible to use the REP63 program or a program similar? Or would I first have to join the NG and then tryout? My preference would be to enter the NG and have a guarantee that I can go to selection.

I apologize if this question has been thrown around before. I promise I have done all the research that this Iraqi made Internet will allow me to do.
The subject of REP-63 contracts for prior service candidates has been covered here before. Try looking a lil deeper or modifying your search parameters. As for how you would get into the unit itself, each and every NG SF unit does things a lil different with respect to assessing soldiers into their NQP programs. Again, you will need to talk to someone from A/2/20 to see how they are handling their program.

The only guarantee to attending SFAS is you. The unit will send you to SFAS if you meet the prerequisites as outlined by the NQP program leadership. Be a team player, be (very) fit, willing to learn, and everything else will fall into place.

You will find as you read more, most every question you can think of about SF has been asked before. Please familiarize yourself with the sections of the board that contain topics of interest and start reading from the bottom up. If after that you still have questions please feel free to fire away.

SF is looking for soldiers who are self-motivated, self-reliant, and self-starters. Dont make it a habit to rely on others to do for you what you can do yourself...

HTH,

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 06-16-2008 at 14:07.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:59   #5
greyshade
Quiet Professional

Surgicalcric,

Roger that, will adjust, thank you for the information.

Grey
greyshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:10   #6
3SoldierDad
Guerrilla

The next tryouts for the A 2/20th SFG(A) is first week of September.

He was given the means to find what he is looking for... The rest is up to him.

Crip

- Mark Twain

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 06-16-2008 at 14:02.
3SoldierDad is offline   Reply With Quote