Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 04-26-2007, 09:50   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

"Convicted Felon" Jonathan Keith Idema

Does the United States have to take him back? Why can't we just leave him in Afghanistan?

Operation Desert Fraud
How Keith Idema marketed his imaginary Afghan war.
By Stacy Sullivan

Jonathan Keith Idema, awaiting his verdict outside an Afghan court.
(Photo: Reuters/Ahmad Masood/Landov)

In January 2002, As U.S. Forces in Afghanistan were hunting down Al Qaeda suspects, the CBS news show 60 Minutes II got its hands on some sensational footage: seven hours’ worth of videotape showing Al Qaeda terrorists training in an Afghan camp. The source of the tapes, a former U.S. Special Forces soldier named Jonathan Keith Idema—known familiarly as Keith—was more than a little dubious. Idema claimed to be working as an adviser to the Northern Alliance, but he was also an ex-con who had served three years in federal prison for wire fraud and had a criminal record in three states. He was, in addition, a serial litigator who had once sued CBS. But the tape’s content—featuring masked men in a bullet-scarred compound training to assassinate and kidnap world leaders—proved a TV producer’s dream.

It may have also proved too good to be true. Mary Mapes, who famously vouched for the documents purporting to show that George W. Bush was given preferential treatment by the Texas Air National Guard, was the producer of the segment. CBS News arranged for Dan Rather to fly to Kabul for an interview with Idema. 60 Minutes II touted its footage with the promise that it was “the most intimate look yet at how the world’s deadliest terrorist organization trains its recruits and what it wants them to do to the West.”

Special Forces soldiers, other journalists, and Army Intelligence immediately questioned the tapes’ authenticity. Tracy-Paul Warrington, formerly a chief warrant officer with U.S. Special Forces who now advises American police forces on counterterrorism, says the tapes are not an intimate look at anything—except clumsy military playacting. “Eighty-five percent of terrorists’ attacks in the last decade have been bombings,” Warrington says. “In this film we see raids. This was a method that went out in the seventies, when Idema was in the Army. I was looking at seven hours of tape of something that Al Qaeda doesn’t do.” Another retired Special Forces soldier, and a longtime acquaintance of Keith Idema’s, contacted CIA sources and learned the agency had similar concerns about the tapes’ authenticity. “The CIA ran voice analysis on the tapes and concluded they were staged,” he says, adding that the agency didn’t publicize its findings because it “didn’t want to waste its time on someone it considered harmless.” Contacted about this claim, CBS spokeswoman Kelli Edwards said the network “showed the tape to three former British Special Forces officers, who verified the tactics being practiced in the video were consistent with those of Al Qaeda, and to a top U.S. military official in Aghanistan, who told us that, in his opinion, the video was authentic.” In the terror-charged atmosphere of early 2002, in any event, there was no public outcry over the piece’s authenticity.

That could well change soon, as many things concerning the life and career of Keith Idema already have. Among other things, it is now clear that Idema was anything but harmless: On September 15, an Afghan court sentenced Idema to a ten-year prison term on charges of entering the country illegally, running a private prison, and torture. Idema had been accused of operating a detention–cum–interrogation center in concert with another former U.S. soldier and a TV cameraman, who were sentenced alongside him the same day. When Afghan police arrested the trio on July 5, they said they saw a smaller-scale version of the gruesome prisoner-abuse photos from the Baghdad interrogation cells in Abu Ghraib. Early press reports indicated that three prisoners found in Idema’s custody during the raid were blindfolded and beaten and strapped to the ceiling by their feet; five others were tied to chairs with rope in a small, dark room down a hall that was littered with bloodied clothing. All of the prisoners in Idema’s custody were subsequently released; none was shown to be connected to Al Qaeda.

Intelligence experts analyzed the CBS tapes and “determined they were staged,” one source says.

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/people/features/10121/
Old 04-26-2007, 10:11   #2
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door

He may fall into the refuse part....

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:23   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Idiot boy is back and blogging.

Hey keith idema, why not come on here and tell a few hundred "real" Green Berets" your hero "stories".

You little man are truly a legend in your own mind. I see you left out the part in your bio that you were a "convict", or do you prefer "convicted felon"?

http://jackidema.blogspot.com/search...&max-results=3
Old 06-24-2009, 09:26   #4
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Was he ever a graduate of the Q-Course?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:37   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
So I've been told..... that's about all he ever did in SF. He did not last long in Special Forces. He forgets to tell his "followers" that part of his SF "story". He's spent more time behind prison bars than in Special Forces.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:38   #6
alelks
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
Yep,

He was pretty much run out of SF. I knew the guy for a very short period of time after he was run off. A con man for sure as well as a pathological liar. I was only around him for a few months before I started picking up on his personality and knew to back WAY OFF! Good think I did as I got a call from CID when I was still active duty and they wanted to talk to me about him. Long story but interesting to say the least. Personally I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

AL

Last edited by alelks; 06-24-2009 at 09:41.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:39   #7
mac117
Guerrilla

ok....read the two articles on this critter.....all I can say is..." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over..."

"What they think we aren't.....we are!"
Confederate Bushwhacker 1863
mac117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:03   #8
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
So I've been told..... that's about all he ever did in SF. He did not last long in Special Forces. He forgets to tell his "followers" that part of his SF "story". He's spent more time behind prison bars than in Special Forces.
It is unbelievable how these $hit heads can create the stories and heroics that they come up with....... Simply,unbelieveable...........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:15   #9
MARSOC0211
Auxiliary

Wow, I am at a complete loss for words. After reading a couple of excerpts from his blog, it is hard to imagine that someone could be that pompous. It is even harder to grasp the idea that other individuals could possibly buy into that guy’s BS.

Things are never as bad as they say they're going to be, until they are, then they're way f'n worse.
MARSOC0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:56   #10
echoes
Area Commander

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Idiot boy is back and blogging.

Hey keith idema, why not come on here and tell a few hundred "real" Green Berets" your hero "stories".

You little man are truly a legend in your own mind. I see you left out the part in your bio that you were a "convict", or do you prefer "convicted felon"?

http://jackidema.blogspot.com/search...&max-results=3
TS Sir, WOW! This is a blast from the past!

After reading the below from his little blog, wtf???

"Yeah, Yeah, YEAH! Enough already you critics, wimps, Commie Journalists, and Special Forces Wanna-Bes! JACK IS BACK in the United States of America and living large on millions of hard earned gold gained by honest labor in the People's Republic of Karzai Afghanistan!
Also, a well deserved F**K YOU! to the fascist stormtroopers of the FBI who are out to arrest this very patriotic super soldier! Eat your hearts out, mother***kers! This Jack has gone to ground somewhere in the good ole U.S. of A. and changed his appearance so much even his own mommy wouldn't recognize old Jackie!"

(Bet he wouldn't say it to Your face, TS!) GRRRRRR!!!

(*I edited.)

Last edited by echoes; 06-24-2009 at 12:01.
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:12   #11
GreenSalsa
Quiet Professional

What I particularly found intersting is the following quote:

"What am I doing back stateside? Well old Jackie has teamed up with Ronbo and other patriots to overthrow the fucking federal government. You heard me right, buckos!"

and this...

"So I'm back in CONUS, The U.S. of A., The World, and teamed up with Ronbo working on the Second American Revolution."

I would love to see someone forward his blog to the FBI just to make his life more miserable....
Old 06-24-2009, 12:35   #12
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSalsa View Post
I would love to see someone forward his blog to the FBI just to make his life more miserable....
Sir,

DONE!

All a person has to do is go here:

https://tips.fbi.gov/

"Please use this website to report suspected terrorism or criminal activity. Your information will be reviewed promptly by an FBI special agent or a professional staff member. Due to the high volume of information that we receive, we are unable to reply to every submission; however, we appreciate the information that you have provided."

Fill in the doc, and then hit submit.

The reply reads:

"Your tip has been successfully submitted."

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:43   #13
mac117
Guerrilla

I did.

"What they think we aren't.....we are!"
Confederate Bushwhacker 1863
mac117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 13:48   #14
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

How do you post on is Blog. I tried but it wont let me post. Even when I signed in with my AIM account

Never mind. All comments are reviewed before being posted. They will never post them

Last edited by kgoerz; 06-24-2009 at 14:01.
kgoerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 13:54   #15
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSalsa View Post
What I particularly found intersting is the following quote:

"What am I doing back stateside? Well old Jackie has teamed up with Ronbo and other patriots to overthrow the fucking federal government. You heard me right, buckos!"

and this...

"So I'm back in CONUS, The U.S. of A., The World, and teamed up with Ronbo working on the Second American Revolution."

It's going to be tough for "jack" because as a "CONVICTED FELON" jack idema cannot own weapons......besides jack idema doesn't have the training or intellectual capacity to "over throw" a Dairy Queen.