Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Technical FAQ Forum > KnuckleDragger Questions

Old 05-04-2006, 19:31   #1
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

When I read the title of this post all I could see was a pack of mink swarming over the back and neck of some idiot that bathed his sore neck and back in fish oil massaging away the pain with their little padded feets. Yeah, I know I need to go into the settlement more, but I have had one of those frigging days trying to unscrew my computer from some damn glitch introduced by my loading Norton Internet Security on my computer. That wimpering, whiney sound you might have heard coming out of the Great Northern Forest was me trying to get some help over the phone from my oldest kid. I sure miss half wave antennas and a leg key
Old 05-04-2006, 19:35   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
When I read the title of this post all I could see was a pack of mink swarming over the back and neck of some idiot that bathed his sore neck and back in fish oil massaging away the pain with their little padded feets. Yeah, I know I need to go into the settlement more, but I have had one of those frigging days trying to unscrew my computer from some damn glitch introduced by my loading Norton Internet Security on my computer. That wimpering, whiney sound you might have heard coming out of the Great Northern Forest was me trying to get some help over the phone from my oldest kid. I sure miss half wave antennas and a leg key
Off topic, but I learned my lesson with NIS as well.

I will never again attempt to install it on a functioning system.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 19:40   #3
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Off topic, but I learned my lesson with NIS as well.

I will never again attempt to install it on a functioning system.

TR
What did you do about it. I am half-way ready to uninstall it and go find a different system
Old 05-04-2006, 19:46   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
What did you do about it. I am half-way ready to uninstall it and go find a different system
You need a special program to uninstall it, and even then, it is hard to get it all out. It is much like a fish hook, as bad as it was going in, getting it out will be much worse.

I am sure that one of the resident IT staff like Dan or Kyo is better versed than I.

Don't bother with Norton's Tech Support, they are in India and will read helpful suggestions out of a book till you go away. They hide their US phone numbers, too. Their time to return a phone call they promised after they looked into it was a bit longer than the 24 hours they guaranteed. IIRC, it was over 60 days.

Good luck, Sir.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 20:05   #5
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
You do sell supplements.

If someone directed you over here to post your “wares” they knew we would not take it kindly.

You see Mr. WillBrink we allow no advertising or the selling of ones wares, unless of course you are a current or former Special Forces soldier.

Had you been on here longer than 15 minutes you would be aware we have M.D’s and PhD’s on our boards and when we have questions we ask the professionals.

Goodbye Mr WillBrink. You have been banned from ProfessionalSoldiers.com.

And that’s MSG, not sgt. And sgt is abbreviated as Sgt.

Have a very SF day.

Team Sergeant
Now thats some Half-Life!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 20:18   #6
casey
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Would strongly recommend you DO NOT do that Sir.

Had the same problem, and upon my attempt to uninstall, it (or I) somehow wiped out 1/2 my control panel.

I'm not saying I don't like my new stark white screen and ever changing display colors, I just want my old island screen saver back.

Last edited by casey; 05-04-2006 at 20:20.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:06   #7
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Thanks Casey-I have been in contact with the folks at symantec and while I am not a happy camper I have a short term resolution until they can come up with a better fix. I am a techno-idiot and until recently the greatest technological advance in my tool kit was the 5mm click top lead pencil so you can imagine my frustration trying to deal with all of this.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:17   #8
casey
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thanks Casey-I have been in contact with the folks at symantec and while I am not a happy camper I have a short term resolution until they can come up with a better fix. I am a techno-idiot and until recently the greatest technological advance in my tool kit was the 5mm click top lead pencil so you can imagine my frustration trying to deal with all of this.

They make click top lead pencils now ?????!!!!!!!
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:58   #9
PeteyMcPete
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey
They make click top lead pencils now ?????!!!!!!!
WITCHCRAFT!!
PeteyMcPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:38   #10
x SF med
Quiet Professional

COL M - 5mm click top pencils - wow! That's nearly 1/4 inch - like writing with a brick. Where did you find it, I want one, it would make a great weapon, get FS or BH to sharpen it up and you're good to go. ok, I'm done being a smartass now.

NIS is a weird program - It is now blocking my outgoing mail on one of my mail clients (earthlink) - nothing I do seems to let me through - doesn't affect my other mail clients - ever since Peter Norton sold the program to Symantec, it's gotten flakey - but MacAffee isn't any better. Maybe I'll switch to Linux....

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR

Last edited by x SF med; 07-07-2006 at 10:43.
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:16   #11
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

[QUOTE=x_sf_med] ok, I'm done being a smartass now.QUOTE]

Yeah, like I really believe that. BTW, do you know what the definition of a smartass is?

Someone able to sit on an ice cream cone and tell you what flavor it is
Old 07-07-2006, 13:21   #12
x SF med
Quiet Professional

COL M, You win.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:03   #13
AngelsSix
Area Commander

I stopped using that crap years ago. All you need is to set the firewall on your system to high, use AVG Free, works great, I have NEVER had a virus. Plus it updates without having to pay every year. I also use CCleaner and Spywareblaster.

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote