Old 02-03-2013, 16:39   #856
gwbarnes
Asset

Just found this site

Found the site as a link to the 2A letter. Served 22 years as a 11/54 officer. Ranger class 7-68 (winter Ranger), tabbed in January 1969. Germany, 2-48 Inf (3AD) first, then to Bragg for SFOC, then to RVN on orders to 5SFG. 101st had dibs on all Captains, however, so I went to 2/327 (No Slack), as S2 for a couple of months, then to B Company as CO. Back to Benning, snowbirding with RTB, then IOAC. ROTC assignment, then to Alaska, 4-23 Inf (172 LIB), as Bn S3 Air, then S3, then Brigade S3 Air. Followed by a NG Advisor tour in NY, then a Readiness Command assignment, then back to Alaska as Commandant of NWTC. Another ROTC assignment as PMS, then retired (in lieu of a Pentagon assignment). Now working as Director of Human Resources for all the US operations of a global manufacturing company
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

John Stuart Mill
gwbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 22:34   #857
Silence
Asset

Intro

I am 26 and have been off of active duty since 2011. I am now looking to reenter and I want to take part in the 18 x ray program. I have kept myself in very good shape since I have exited and I want to make an attempt at joining the Army Special Forces.
Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 23:39   #858
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
Been there, done that ....

Hello everyone,

I'm from the old times, from what I've been able to read here; I went through the Q course in 1970 before "Robin Sage" when it was called Gobbler Woods.
I subsequently served with the 10th SFGA, 8th SFGA and 3/7th SFGA before leaving active duty in 1975.

I became a police officer in Indiana using my military background to start both the Bomb Disposal Unit and the Special Weapons and Tactics team for my department. I also trained both police and fire in SCUBA and water rescue tactics while a member of the Water Rescue Team (I was PADI #4039 OWSI).

I also continued in the Guard (for a short time with Co D, 1/151 Inf (Ranger) (LRRP)) and later with the USAR commanding an ODA with 12th SFGA prior to promotion to Major. When SF branch was created I immediately transferred from the Infantry (which only took a phone call because my Branch manager and I had served together in the 8th SFG and he knew me all to well (grin)).

Unfortunately, I didn't get to work in my PMOS afterwards because of the shortage of field grade positions. I spent those years as a detailed Inspector General and finally teaching CGSC and CAS3 as an adjunct professor at the Army Command & General Staff College until my retirement in 1996.

I also retired from the sheriff's department after assignments to an FBI Task Force, completion of the FBI National Academy, and command of the Administrative Division in 2006.

Much like the movies, where: "I thought I was out, but they pulled me back in!" a friend from the department who I had worked with closely called and asked me to be his Assistant Chief of Police when he assumed the Chief's position. I couldn't say no and took the reins of one of the suburban Indianapolis police departments for 13 months.

With that behind me, I got married (again) and purchased a 42 foot sailboat which I spent time aboard along the east coast (currently Jacksonville, FL) when I'm not gadding about the country or space a-ing abroad.

Whew! Left out a few things, like the novel I wrote, but otherwise, that's me in a nutshell ....

Hope to hear from folks here, but until then

Take care and stay safe!

Lance

"Every day's a holiday, and every meal's a banquet!"
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 00:46   #859
ordkhntr
Asset

hello all

Just signed up after meeting a few of you at the Shot show this year.

A bit about me:
I live in Oregon in the Willamette Valley in a little town oustide of Eugene (and thank God for the "outside of Eugene" part).
I was in the Navy from 86-90. I was an AW (antisubmarine warfare, accoustics). Spent my time flying around in a P-3C in VP-9. I went through rescue swimmer school in 86. kindergarden compared to what I know of any of the SF, but it was hard...kinda gives perspective ya know.....

My day job is that of a Nursing Home Administrator. Worked in healthcare since I graduated with a degree in Therapeutic Recreation. My first job was at the VA in Palo Alto, CA in the National Center for Post Traumatic Stress Dissorders. It was a whopper! Went into working rehab with stroke,cva,head injury and somehow it led me to working with seniors. I do love what I do.

So how does a Nursing Home Administrator end up going to the Shot Show???? Well, I also have my FFL07 and have just applied for my SOT so I can play with the fun stuff .

See ya round and thanks again,
RJ Barnes
ordkhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:15   #860
Areise88
Asset

Just the average joe aspiring to be a Quiet Soldier

Hello all

I am a Spc in the US Army

Im a 12W (carpenter in an eng regt) I dropped out of wp because my mother got sick( she had had 4 strokes while I was away). I wanted to see her and all they would offer is 1 week .... I later enlisted because the Army seemed amazing.. THat's because West Point stuck to military traditions. When I went to enlist Their was only two mos openings 18X or 89D I choose 89D EOD because I heard it was the second most challenging school in the army So i made it to EOD school met my wife there and needless to say got her pregnant and got Reclassed to 12W 30 days before graduation Completed Whiskey training and felt melancholy happy to have mos and go to a unit but their was no challenge I arrive at the unit 2 weeks after graduation and my pays still messed up 6 months later RT now im currently in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan my mission is deconstruction but I've really just been police calling the area because my unit doesnt have tools for the mission I have one uniform because i followed orders and im just all around ate up.... I look to the SF as being that challenge and being amonga higher level thinking group of individuals who are self motivated In my current enviornment i am amongst some good and not so good nco's I have more motivation after being in the suck to try and make it to sf. I am trying to develop that ability to just obey an order no matter how retarded without thinking about it...... Today my nco changed pt to the afternoon because she said she doesnt get a good workout in the gym....The gym has 2 treadmills 3 elipticals a bench press set with the weights going up to 645lbs a bunch of resistance machines, dip bars.... a jungle gym two big ass tires matts and punching bags.... Sooo she made are pt be outside on a concrete pad in afghanistan our pt consisted of 2 shuttle sprints and 50 pushups....Apparently everybody in the army is a fitness trainer.. WHat would be the best way to approach this nco in order to get our old setup back 530 wake up @ 6 be at the gym for 1 hour and leave....Needless to say I need a challenge / change
Areise88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57   #861
ajls
Asset

Good morning,
I've been reading this site for a couple of years now, but decided to join when I read a thread I have some personal experience with and wanted to give the original poster info that comes from that hard experience. I'm a USCG licensed captain, and merchant marine. Currently living in NW Florida by Eglin AFB and working at an emergency vet clinic while continuing to sail as a hobby.
I also wanted to say to all members of the military on this site-SF and all others, past, present, and future-Thank You for your service and sacrifices. Salute.

Last edited by ajls; 02-04-2013 at 11:34.
ajls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:31   #862
Night Stalker
Asset

Hello to All

I would like to thank you for letting me join this board. My Name is David. I had a spine injury in 2008. In which I opened up a small jewelry business. I hand make everything. I have a wonderful Wife and two Children. I still get out in the woods and teach my Children the way I was taught. My Step Dad was SF in Nam. He adopted me. The Man taught me everything I know. I now teach my Son. I enjoy the reading here, and if you have any questions reguarding me feel free to PM anytime.

Last edited by Night Stalker; 02-05-2013 at 08:13.
Night Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:45   #863
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Welcome to all. Don't forget to use the SEARCH function,, It will make YOUR life here much more bearable..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
I would like to thank you for letting me join this board.
NS,, If your name isn't Richard Ramirez, Delroy Grant, Charles Napier, or Darren McGavin?? Please bless the fora with a little more verbiage in your intro.. Also fill in your profile..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:55   #864
ScottRandol
Quiet Professional

Intro

I completed SFQC and was assigned to 1st Group from '88-'92 in Group Sig Det and ODA 191. I went to SWC from '92-'95 and was an ATD instructor. Returned to 1SFG and was on ODA 176, then Bn Sig ops till '99.

Been on the SF Brothers FB site for a while and looking forward to getting back into the conversation.

DOL
ScottRandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 15:59   #865
H335
Asset

Greetings All

Greetings,

I wanted to start my introduction with a "Thank You" to all who serve in our forces. My father-in-law served in Korea and said that it really doesn't matter where or when you served, but once you put on that uniform it never comes off your soul. Thank you for sacrificing your lives and risking the ultimate sacrifice, and sacrificing your families time and lives as well. And thank you to all of your children, spouses, parents, and families for sacrificing you.

I have never served in any of the armed forces and whenever I'm in the company of a veteran I'm always humbled. Even if they may be 20+ years younger than I.

I found your site linked via a re-post of the letter "Protecting the Second Amendment".

I'm a married father of three, have 7 grand-kids, etc. I have a strong interest in US Constitutional history, all of the Bill of Rights, though I believe the Second Amendment is that right which supports, guarantees, and underpins the Declaration and Constitution. I've had a variety of interests and hobbies over the years as my interest waxes and wanes. I guess you could say I'm a jack of all (or a few anyway) trades. I'm interested in preserving our liberties for our children and grandchildren, shooting, hunting, gardening, cooking,
food preservation, cheese-making, coffee-roasting, shortwave and ham radio, martial arts (Mixed and Shinpu-Ren), etc., etc,. etc. The mixed comes mostly from our youngest son who competes amateur MMA. I think the old man could still take him in a street fight but mostly because I have a different mindset about fighting than he does. Don't know how much longer that'll hold true though! No, I don't have any medals or prizes or anything like that. But I did take 5th place in a tourney in my second year. 5th out of 5 in my weight/belt division!

I try (often unsuccessfully) to keep my mouth shut unless I think I have something of value to say. I don't usually mind much if somebody tells me I don't know as much as I think I do in a given area, as long as they are willing to share their own experience and wisdom while expounding on what an idiot I am.

Currently I'm working in cybersecurity (mostly blue team), InfoSec and Information Assurance in the private utility sector.

I look forward to reading and learning from all of you gentlepersons - is that politically correct enough?
Old 02-04-2013, 16:12   #866
Grado
Asset

Greetings!

I've been on the forums for quite a while. The old introductions thread "disappeared," and so hence the time difference between my post and join date.

I just want to quickly say that I am very grateful for the knowledge and insights I've gained lurking over the past few years. I've learned a little more about how to approach or think things through while being here and reading. Or in other words, being here has increased my ability to see, to act and not just be merely acted upon.

I'm currently a full-time student in Idaho, planning to join the Army once I graduate.

Last edited by Grado; 02-04-2013 at 16:14. Reason: .
Grado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 17:24   #867
Giuseppe
Asset

Introduction

Greetings all,

I served in the Guard side of the community with A/5/19th SFG (A).

Glad to be here.
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:01   #868
ColeUD
Asset

First Post

Hi QP,

My name is Justin, I am a sophomore at the University of Delaware. My love of hunting, winning and hard-working ethic coupled with the desire to defend God and country has developed my interest in the military. My desire to be next to another highly trained solider, "in the shit," has lead me to be interested more specifically in Special Operations and elite warfare units. My desire to not only be a ruthless machine capable of killing any person or "thing" who would wish ill on my open-worship, my family, the man next to me or my country as a whole, but to also have the opportunity to develop diplomatic relationships with countries/sects/areas of conflict to make a more attractive solution to an issue plausible has led me to an interest in Army SF.

Hope to contribute with my questions ONLY, until, God-willing, I get my ODA

J
ColeUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:28   #869
GreatfulService
BANNED USER

Introduction for Greatful Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Make your first post here:
Gentlemen, prior to my introduction please allow me to first express my heartfelt gratitude for what you guys are doing here. Ever since I stumbled across this site I just can't stop reading, there is so much to learn and this is an incredible opportunity to sponge wisdom straight from the men who know rather than from recruiters who don't. In the last three days I've also lost count of how many times I've turned every head in my direction as the humor of a thread gets me laughing my arse off - a gentleman suggesting a propane mole trap solution for determining where the cartel tunnels go, springs to mind. I am at a loss for words to capture just how much being able to search this site for information means to me, thank you all for your heroic service to our great nation and may our grand kids learn to speak English (not Mandarin) yet!

I'm assuming you won't take the time to read my profile, if you do, please accept my apology for redundant information and although the tone might appear to be one of bragging, please understand, from our viewpoint it is very intimidating to be here, now, under the microscope of eyes that have achieved such greatness.

I am not worthy.

I am 5'9", 170lbs, 32yo without prior military service. I majored in Biochemistry at Texas A&M University, worked as an EMT-B, have played drums for as many as 2,500 people, scored 99 on my practice AFQT, am intensely driven for humanitarian aims, love meditation, am a decent runner, bench 260 and do suspended sit-ups with 90lbs on my chest. As far as I can determine from my current research I can still qualify for the 18x program with an age waiver because I meet the other requirements after I've paid off some traffic tickets and improved my credit.

I am intensely patriotic and (in principle) not afraid to lay down my life in defense of our people. I understand it's an easy thing to say, and quite another to jump on a grenade or leave cover to advance across an enemy line of fire. One can mentally rehearse these situations in the active effort to root out any and all fear until the cows come home but what separates you supermen from the rest of our society is the intestinal fortitude you gents have already displayed. Only under live fire will I truly discover myself and what mettle lies within. It is my prayer that I am made of the iron will and greatness as you. It is my terrified nightmares that I should discover I'm just an ordinary man or worse still, that I never get tested in this fire because I fail to complete the selection and training process. I obsess over this and honestly it keeps me up nights. It is my deepest desire to earn the esteemed honor and privilege to serve with you, our real life American Gods.
GreatfulService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:27   #870
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordkhntr View Post
Just signed up after meeting a few of you at the Shot show this year.

A bit about me:
I live in Oregon in the Willamette Valley in a little town oustide of Eugene (and thank God for the "outside of Eugene" part).
I was in the Navy from 86-90. I was an AW (antisubmarine warfare, accoustics). Spent my time flying around in a P-3C in VP-9. I went through rescue swimmer school in 86. kindergarden compared to what I know of any of the SF, but it was hard...kinda gives perspective ya know.....

My day job is that of a Nursing Home Administrator. Worked in healthcare since I graduated with a degree in Therapeutic Recreation. My first job was at the VA in Palo Alto, CA in the National Center for Post Traumatic Stress Dissorders. It was a whopper! Went into working rehab with stroke,cva,head injury and somehow it led me to working with seniors. I do love what I do.

So how does a Nursing Home Administrator end up going to the Shot Show???? Well, I also have my FFL07 and have just applied for my SOT so I can play with the fun stuff .

See ya round and thanks again,
RJ Barnes
RJ,
Great to see you here. Welcome aboard!
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote