Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Ammo Talk

Old 09-30-2011, 09:10   #1
MVP
Quiet Professional

polishing rifle brass

Searched the site and found nothing...

Does anyone have a recommendation for media to use for tumbling 223 brass? I currently use two sizes; one for 45 caliber plus and one for 30 caliber and up. The smaller stuff used for 30 cal is still too large and will jam in the 223 brass.

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 15:15   #2
koz
Quiet Professional

Take a look at the stainless steel media and the Thumbler's tumbler. You'll get a couple pieces stuck in the primer pocket (if you tumble after you deprime) but it will make old brass look very new. I'll give you more details if you like.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 15:19   #3
MVP
Quiet Professional

media

SS?

Yes please!

MVP
Old 09-30-2011, 18:19   #4
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I've been using the SS method for three months. It's more involved than the usual methods but the results are well worth the extra effort. (Ask TR.) I just finished 1000 30.06 that look better than new. Everything is well explained on Sniper's Hide. I got the tumbler from the Hobby Lobby (cheapest per Google) and the media from the guy who popularized the method. The original source prefers to maintain his privacy so I'm sharing the contact info with all the usual caveats. Be nice to him, he passed the bona fides tests I used.

Subject: Media supplier

This is from Terry on the Hide........

Contact name is Mark

His email is ac4ht@aol.com

Provide him your contact info Phone, email, best time to contact you!

Marks information is "Confidential and is not to be republished in any form without his direct approval"

Terry
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 19:39   #5
koz
Quiet Professional

LINK

Here's a 41pg thread from SniperHide on Stainless Steel Media. Suasponte (Terry) is very helpful if you have questions. I swiped the photos from that thread.

My recipe is Thumblers Tumbler Model B. I got mine from Cabelas. It's a faster tumbler than some others. They sell it for around $180.

I ordered my stainless media from Mark (per Peregrino's post).

I use a shot of Dawn dish detergent and a 9mm case full of LemiShine (you can find it at Target or Walmart in the dish detergent section).

Fill about half full of brass maybe a little more then usually around a gallon of water. It should be near the top. Media is already in the tumbler. Put the top on and let it run for about 3 hrs.

I got a Frankfort Arsenal media separator. I fill that bucket with water (which keep the media from flinging out when you spin the thing. Also get a good magnet (I pulled one out of an old hard drive) so you can pick up any media that falls on the floor.

I dry it under a work light in my garage and it looks like it's brand new. Even brass that sat in the weather for years looks good.

Like Peregrino's post, it takes a little longer but it does wonders to brass. Plus the media never wears out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0001-8.jpg (52.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04967.jpg (61.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04969.jpg (71.7 KB, 88 views)
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:32   #6
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Sorry this is a little late. Take a look at an ultra sonic brass polisher. They are about $70.00 at Harbor Freight Salvage, up to $200.00 everywhere else. Use 50% distilled water, 50% white vinegar and a couple of drops of dish soap. Run for about 5 minutes.

This cleans out the carbon build-up on the inside of the case which results in more consistent pressures. This isn't important to the average shooter but if you are shooting competitive long range, it is important.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:40   #7
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Sorry this is a little late. Take a look at an ultra sonic brass polisher. They are about $70.00 at Harbor Freight Salvage, up to $200.00 everywhere else. Use 50% distilled water, 50% white vinegar and a couple of drops of dish soap. Run for about 5 minutes.

This cleans out the carbon build-up on the inside of the case which results in more consistent pressures. This isn't important to the average shooter but if you are shooting competitive long range, it is important.
Use "Cartridge Clean" solvent with the ultrasonic.
Old 10-10-2011, 15:38   #8
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Thanks, Dusty...
Old 10-10-2011, 16:48   #9
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Thanks, Dusty...
I meant in conjunction with your recipe, of course. Gets even the primer area shiny.

Last edited by Dusty; 10-10-2011 at 17:00.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 17:11   #10
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the clarification...
Old 10-10-2011, 17:20   #11
Richard
Quiet Professional

Guys - I had to change the thread title - every time I came upon it I had flashbacks to getting ready for Class A inspections, the XVlll ABC NCO Academy, and OCS.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17   #12
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Richard- You should have brought home a Thai maid to take care of those things for you.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:27   #13
MVP
Quiet Professional

How many 223 cases can the ultrasonic polisher hold? I can only do about 40 308 cases in my old midway vibratory polisher at once. Using the small ceramic it takes about 30 minutes to clean a batch of moderately dirty cases. I might be able to do more if I had more media but the load might also be too heavy for the motor if I used more media with more cases. I have more of the large media and routinely clean 50 or so 50-90 or 45-110 cases. They clean quickly as well especially since the large diameters allow the media to really move around.

MVP
Old 10-19-2011, 06:54   #14
rob99vmi04
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
How many 223 cases can the ultrasonic polisher hold? I can only do about 40 308 cases in my old midway vibratory polisher at once. Using the small ceramic it takes about 30 minutes to clean a batch of moderately dirty cases. I might be able to do more if I had more media but the load might also be too heavy for the motor if I used more media with more cases. I have more of the large media and routinely clean 50 or so 50-90 or 45-110 cases. They clean quickly as well especially since the large diameters allow the media to really move around.

MVP
I have a both a hydrasonic cleaner and dry tumbler. I prefer the dry tumbler. I use to use the big chucks of ground up corn cobb and had the same problem you are experiencing with the particles getting stuck in the necks. I went to "Pets Mart" and purchased very fine walnut lizard litter for around $9.00. With the lizzard litterd I throw in a couple cap fulls of Dillions Rapid Shine. This has lasted me now for about a year and half. Since I started this, I have loaded around 5,000-6,000 rounds of .223, and still have about half a bag of lizzard litter left over.
rob99vmi04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:44   #15
MVP
Quiet Professional

primer pockets?

I have never seen dry tumbling clean primers pockets very well. Does the lizard dust do that?

MVP