Old 12-28-2017, 09:15   #2386
LifetimeStudent
Asset

Intro

Greetings,

Long time reader here. Im a 24 year old, Active Duty Marine. Currently going to school and thinking about making the switch. I'm currently training and reading as much as I can.

If I need to put more here, give the order and it will be done.

Last edited by LifetimeStudent; 01-10-2018 at 14:47.
LifetimeStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 17:51   #2387
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifetimeStudent View Post
Greetings,

Long time reader here. Im a 24 Active Duty Marine. Currently going to school and thinking about making the switch. I'm currently training and reading as much as i cam.

If i need to put more here, give the order and it will be done.
24 what??

I hope you're going to school for spelling and sentence structure...

If you "make the switch"....if you go down the 18E path, message writing is "short, concise, to the point " messages.

As for the rag on ya...well, I just felt like it... Enjoy the site, great info here...
Old 01-02-2018, 10:41   #2388
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
24 what??

If you "make the switch"....if you go down the 18E path, message writing is "short, concise, to the point " messages.

As for the rag on ya...well, I just felt like it... Enjoy the site, great info here...
Come on now he said he was a Marine

Last edited by SF_BHT; 01-03-2018 at 12:09.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:51   #2389
Sohei
Area Commander

Quote:
Greetings,

Long time reader here. Im a 24 Active Duty Marine. Currently going to school and thinking about making the switch. I'm currently training and reading as much as i cam.

If i need to put more here, give the order and it will be done.
Bro, check your spelling and punctuation so you don't make it harder on us here....
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 20:44   #2390
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

LifetimeStudent:

Welcome. Lots of Marines have previously made that switch and become damn fine SF Soldiers. Go for it. If you eventually make it to an ODA, you'll invariably meet others that did the same.

There are differences between Army & Marine cultures. For instance...

Army Speak: "Team Viper Exfils at 2400L +/- 2 minutes, via MH-47...

Jarhead Speak: "Awright youse yangs, when Mickey's big hand and little hand are both on the twelve, the Whoppity-Whop will land..."

Grow a thick skin. You'll need it...

Last edited by Astronomy; 01-04-2018 at 18:26.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 20:12   #2391
Vigil
Asset

Hello,

I've been a member of this site for some time now but have never introduced myself as I come here merely to learn and observe. I'm a husband, soon-to-be father, and a recent graduate of the Columbus Police Academy.

I have not served in the military but respect the hell out of those that have and will do my best as a LEO to protect the freedoms provided by those that have served.

Thank you for having me in this community.
Vigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 14:30   #2392
FuriousGeorge
Asset

Introduction.

Hello all,

I've read the forums for a bit, and thought I'd sign up. I spent 14 years in the Army as an 11B, then as a 92Y (I'm 35). I got out because of a loss in my family that took the wind out of my sails. I want to get back in and see if I'm a good fit for Army Special Forces. I've been doing the PT, taking language classes (Russian), and reading anything I can, to better educate myself about the SOF community, their mission and their training. I hope to lean something new, and hopefully I have some advice that might help someone someday on here. Above all, I'm here to learn.

Nice to meet you all!
FuriousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:11   #2393
Klomophone
Asset

Intro

Greetings everyone,
I'm active duty Army with about 9 years in the Army Band field. I know my current job hardly has any transferable skills to the SF community, but my tenacity and willingness to push myself past perceived limits has left me with a feeling of 'spinning my wheels'. I've had the good fortune of meeting a few SF guys along the way and it's always motivated me to pursue that life. With the full support of my family, I've recently committed myself to training for SFAS hopefully in the coming months. I know there's a wealth of knowledge and SMEs in this forum and I'm hoping to learn whatever I can by being in here.
Klomophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:34   #2394
LifetimeStudent
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
24 what??

Thank you for pointing that out. I made the corrections in the post.

Oddly enough, The main reason I'm going back to school is to get better at writing and speaking.
LifetimeStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 18:07   #2395
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thank you for pointing that out. I made the corrections in the post.

Oddly enough, The main reason I'm going back to school is to get better at writing and speaking.
Well, that's good. When you get up in rank, or maybe not even, you're going to be briefing some heavy hitters of another country depending on what your doing...Also, presenting classes to the indig. You'd be surprised how many may speak English better than we do

good luck..
Old 01-22-2018, 22:29   #2396
SpeedGoat
Asset

Introduction

Hello, my name is Tanner. I am 19 years old and am currently enlisted in the National Guard as an 11B. I am also studying at Montana State University, where I am pursuing a degree in Political Science.

I intend on using this forum as a resource to gather information, as well as to hear from other interested people in the community.

Thank you and Good Hunting
Old 01-25-2018, 04:05   #2397
InnaK
Asset

Introduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Make your first post here:
Hello Everybody,
My name is Inna I am 47, I am a teacher ( of young children)
I am here to
- express my sincere gratitude to all SF soldiers. Thank you for everything you have done and are doing to keep us safe! Thank you for your excellent service!
- learn about you and from you.

Thank you for having me here.

“ All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare” Benedict Spinoza.
“ Blessed are the peacemakers on earth” W. Shakespear.

PS.
Dear Sir,
I hope I introduced myself in the right place, if not, please accept my apology and let me know how to correct my mistake. Thank you. V/R IK.
InnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:00   #2398
tyler12
Asset

Introduction

Hello everyone, I am an active duty Marine currently serving in 2/7 and I am going to be transitioning into the Army later this year. I am going to be applying for an 18X contract when I have the opportunity and I am here to gain as much information as I can from the valuable experience here. Thank you for your time.
tyler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:34   #2399
Smurfsss
Asset

Hello

Hey there, I'm 29 years old and am a 63 rep for Florida NG.
I just completed BLC and head to SFOC next month. Very eager to continue in the pipeline! It's been a dream of mine for many years to get the opportunity to do this.
I do cyber security in the civilian world and will be going back to that after my training.
Smurfsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 00:53   #2400
Budd
Asset

QPs,

My family calls me Budd, I am a 21 year-old college student, planning to enlist, and currently considering an 18X contract. After lurking here for a while, my main source of hesitation on 18X is the opinion many QPs (on this board and that I know personally) have expressed, that it is better to serve time somewhere else in the Army before coming to selection. On the other hand, I know that many of the QPs on this board were X-rays and felt they had every opportunity to develop into a value-add to their team. Because of this, I’m also considering the 11X Option 40 to develop skills and maturity, and to be at a unit designed to develop junior Soldiers so that I could be a value-add to a team later. Suffice it to say I feel divided on this question and have been searching here to find some answers.

My exposure to SF is limited, but I did have the opportunity to spend 10 days with an ODA in a training environment shortly after they finished an Iraq deployment, and I learned a lot from them, including some quality marksmanship and a little bit of when to shut the fuck up. That was 2.5 years ago now, and I felt at 19 that I certainly did not have sufficient maturity to run with that pack, but I was extremely impressed by the team, and as I have read more about the UW mission and SF history, I have come to feel it as a calling.

A little more in the way of biography: I grew up on the Gulf Coast and then on a lake, so I love the water and the outdoors. I’ve studied Russian for 5 semesters. I ran cross country in high school and now I’m an amateur/college club triathlete and endurance runner. I race sprint- and Olympic-distance, and I’ve run a 13.1, a few 26.2s, and a 50mi.

Here’s to 50 more some day, but maybe with a little bit of weight this time.
Budd is offline   Reply With Quote