Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 06-10-2014, 07:23   #1
LarryW
Area Commander

Civics Question: What influence do I have as a US citizen?

Do the Legislative or Judicial Branches of our Government have any real influence in our country without the expressed permission of the Executive Branch?

All Departments that have any power reside under the Executive Branch (DoL (can I believe any of the Labor Statistics), DoJ (would the FBI investigate anyone in the Executive Branch), DoD, DoS, USDA, VA, HHS, NSA, CIA, you name it). Or, if SCOTUS ruled on any law, would the Executive Branch enforce it if the decision was not in their favor? Really?

I dislike feeling that as an American citizen the only thing I can do to influence my Government is demonstrate. (sigh) (end rant.)
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:43   #2
tonyz
Area Commander

You raise an interesting age old question...who really has more power?

Those who make law?

Those who execute law?

Or, those who interpret law?

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:52   #3
Box
Quiet Professional

...or is it those who FOREGO the law and work above it ???

The executive, legislative, judical branch system was DESIGNED to keep you from ever having to even ask that question. Checks and Balances that kept any one branch from having "more power"
...hahahaha hows that working out these days.

Wasn't it Mao Zedong that said, "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun"

It's funny that the POTUS had a christmas tree ornamaent with Mao's face on it a few years back isn't it? Mao knew a thing or two about consolidating power.

So does Barry...
...and law aiin't got anything to do with "power" my friends.

Just a thought.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 06-10-2014 at 10:09.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:04   #4
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
You raise an interesting age old question...who really has more power?

Those who make law?

Those who execute law?

Or, those who interpret law?
Or those, individually and collectively, who influence them...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:37   #5
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
I dislike feeling that as an American citizen the only thing I can do to influence my Government is demonstrate. (sigh) (end rant.)
You also have the power of the VOTE.

Yeah, I know it sounds cliché-ish but it's true. REAL power lies within the ballot box. TRUE power lies out the barrel of a gun.

Now I'm not saying that you haven't voted, but look at how many Americans, who do have the ability to vote, don't. But yet when things don't go the way they like, they bitch, whine, moan, groan and complain.

If you really want to make changes, I'd suggest taking an interest in politics. Not just reading about them here on PS.com or the web and then commenting, but get involved. Find and issue or candidate that you can stand with and help them out. Not just monetarily but volunteering your time. Either making phone calls or going door to door and taking to registered voters.

Look what we did here in Colorado last year just by doing that. We got TWO gun grabbing dims recalled and one to resign (although a little birdie informed me there were enough votes to force a recall, but Hudak stepped down before that could happen).

Right now there are a couple of hotly contested State Senate districts that are closely being watched in the upcoming primaries. I can tell you, I've been out knocking on doors and talking to people and informing them about the different candidates. I even got 6 voters to "flip" their votes because of what I told them about the candidate that they were leaning towards.

It's actually pretty fun in some instances.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 13:12   #6
LarryW
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
You also have the power of the VOTE.

Yeah, I know it sounds cliché-ish but it's true. REAL power lies within the ballot box. TRUE power lies out the barrel of a gun.

Now I'm not saying that you haven't voted, but look at how many Americans, who do have the ability to vote, don't. But yet when things don't go the way they like, they bitch, whine, moan, groan and complain.

If you really want to make changes, I'd suggest taking an interest in politics. Not just reading about them here on PS.com or the web and then commenting, but get involved. Find and issue or candidate that you can stand with and help them out. Not just monetarily but volunteering your time. Either making phone calls or going door to door and taking to registered voters.

Look what we did here in Colorado last year just by doing that. We got TWO gun grabbing dims recalled and one to resign (although a little birdie informed me there were enough votes to force a recall, but Hudak stepped down before that could happen).

Right now there are a couple of hotly contested State Senate districts that are closely being watched in the upcoming primaries. I can tell you, I've been out knocking on doors and talking to people and informing them about the different candidates. I even got 6 voters to "flip" their votes because of what I told them about the candidate that they were leaning towards.

It's actually pretty fun in some instances.
Seriously, congratulations on recalling the library of criminals dear old Colorado ended up with. Those crooks that snookered the town into buying their snake-oil and balloon juice. Alas, my friend, I have come to believe I live in a Democratic Dictatorship. Every 4-years or so I am allowed to elect the person who will be my Supreme Dictator for the next several years. The person who has told everybody any number of things to gain the cherished vote but once elected will do whatever the hell he/she wants to do until they are replaced by another Dictator-and-Chief. In between times he/she has absolutely no intention of being influenced by their constituency except for those paying $35,000 a plate for dinner. In the end great piles of money change hands and all the diners end up with is a bloated stomach from eating too much of their Spam Adobo au Gratin. In the end more snake-oil and balloon juice.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 13:57   #7
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Or those, individually and collectively, who influence them...

Richard
Absolutely.

There are many ways to peel that onion.

Those simple questions are intended to merely stimulate thought and shape discussion.

There are most def many individual and collective "influencers" in our system.

One "collective" that comes to mind - one that shapes and influences much of today's political environment - is the MSM. IMO, the relatively compliant MSM enjoyed by this administration borders on a one party media.

If George Bush had rolled out an "it was a Youtube video" narrative...the press would have had his head.

Yes, those who can collectively influence folks have power.

Madison Avenue and politicians from both sides bank on it.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 16:55   #8
ddoering
Quiet Professional

Voting counts for nothing these days. When your election process is filled wit corrupt political hacks the system can and will be manipulated. Dead people vote, illegals vote, many vote more than once. It is all smoke and mirrors.
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 18:33   #9
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoering View Post
Voting counts for nothing these days. When your election process is filled wit corrupt political hacks the system can and will be manipulated. Dead people vote, illegals vote, many vote more than once. It is all smoke and mirrors.
Actually, individual voter fraud in the USA is nearly nonexistent, while voter suppression and voter fraud by powerful political/special interest groups has been in ongoing issue throughout our nation's history. The "smoke and mirror" shenanigans here are really the political/special interest groups persuading voters to focus on the nearly non-existent issues related to individual voter fraud while they then seek to manipulate the vote.

Go look at the stats - it's quite interesting to see what is proven vs what the perception is when it comes to voting fraud. One group that studies such issues and is a good source for information vs supposition is the NYU School of Law's Brennan Center For Justice. http://www.brennancenter.org/analysi...-studies-issue

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 06-10-2014, 20:40   #10
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Voting has become (if it ever was any different) a feel good mechanism. A way for people who are otherwise disconnected from politics to feel like they are somehow involved in the political process.

Whether you believe or not, a good article on the uselessness of voting:

http://newamerica.net/publications/a...nt_count_72258

Marx may have said that religion is the opiate of the masses, but I would throw voting in that category also.
Old 06-10-2014, 23:32   #11
Box
Quiet Professional

Voting is neat... it makes me feel like I've done something and gives me a clear conscience when sitting frustrated in front of the TV telling 65 million faceless Americans "I told you so"

Otherwise, who do we really vote for? We vote for someone that is selected for us by "handlers" and campaign managers. We are essentially given two choices to vote on. Was Mitt Romney the Republican that everyone wanted to vote for?
...or was he the just the Republican candidate that was marched out for us to vote for.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Here is the guy you Republicans will be voting for this year"

Not that it matters anymore, I am one of those misguided voters that no longer votes "for" a candidate. I vote "against" candidates. I have voted against Presidents since the republicans decide to wheel out Bob Dole against Clinton.
...seemingly NOT because Senator Dole was the best candidate, but because he was Bob Dole and it was "his turn" just like McCain was nominated because it was "his turn"
Bob Dole is a great American; he is an American patriot that earned his bones. That doesn't mean he was "entitled" to a shot at the presidency. So that year Bob Dole got my vote against President Klinton.

I voted against alGore because I was terrified of him
I definately voted against Kerry
I have proudly voted against Barry twice

Hell, now that I think about it, as a younger man that was just proud to be voting, I voted against Dukakis.

Yep, voting is neat. It makes me feel like I've done something. Sadly, I have yet to vote to put a man in office.
...but it IS on my bucket list.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

Last edited by Box; 06-10-2014 at 23:43.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:32   #12
Richard
Quiet Professional

There is a difference between America's in-direct (POTUS) and direct (Congressional, state, local) electoral systems, and definite reasons behind why they were adopted, how they have evolved, and in what ways they impact our lives on both a more general (national, state) and a more personal (local) level.

In reading this thread, as American society - in general - seeks to promote a "get out and vote" philosophy as but a part of its participative democracy ideal within its constituted federal republic, are we now seeking to promote a sort of Mr Natural school of cynical thinking (Zap Comix circa 1970) towards our electoral systems?

"What's it all mean, Mr Natural?"
"Flakey, my boy, it don't mean s**t."

Personally, I, as but one voter, hope not. MOO.

And so it goes...

Richard

Old 06-11-2014, 08:11   #13
Box
Quiet Professional

Submitted for consideration...

-it seems that our politicians are more guilty of promoting the cynical outlook of our electoral system than the voters. Voters DO still get out and vote. Voters still go out and vote because they still have hope. Even if it is "lesser of two evils" hope, there is hope that one guy out of the two still has a few shards of altrusim left in him.
Hell, voters are so fucking optomistic that they reelected Clinton, Bush, AND Obama to second terms.

Politicians on the other hand are NOT getting out and keeping up their end of the bargain.

Old 06-11-2014, 16:37   #14
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Do the Legislative or Judicial Branches of our Government have any real influence in our country without the expressed permission of the Executive Branch?

All Departments that have any power reside under the Executive Branch (DoL (can I believe any of the Labor Statistics), DoJ (would the FBI investigate anyone in the Executive Branch), DoD, DoS, USDA, VA, HHS, NSA, CIA, you name it). Or, if SCOTUS ruled on any law, would the Executive Branch enforce it if the decision was not in their favor? Really?

Get involved. Volunteer. Run for office. Publish a blog. Write intelligent letters to the editor. Financially support good causes and good people. Help educate the next generation.

Get out of the mindset that the only important thing that's happening is what you see on the news. Important stuff is going on all around you-good stuff as well. Unfortunately, this isn't what is broadcast, because it isn't sexy enough to sell.

Sometimes you have to succeed in spite of authority.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 18:19   #15
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
Get involved. Volunteer. Run for office. Publish a blog. Write intelligent letters to the editor. Financially support good causes and good people. Help educate the next generation.

Get out of the mindset that the only important thing that's happening is what you see on the news. Important stuff is going on all around you-good stuff as well. Unfortunately, this isn't what is broadcast, because it isn't sexy enough to sell.

Sometimes you have to succeed in spite of authority.
Here, here !!!!!!!!!
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote