Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 05-11-2009, 08:01   #91
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
A question for you gentlemen,

I didn't think starting a new thread for this would be a good idea so I tacked it on here I hope that is all right.

I am looking at buying a Tactical Tailor MALICE 3 and adding an HSGI Ali Pad to it. My question is should I buy said gear in OD green or should I buy it in ACU. I much prefer OD but I am just trying to figure out which is the best idea for the future. I don't want to buy this stuff and never get to use it cause the Army has stopped allowing OD as a color for gear or something along those lines which I could envisage with big green weenie radar.

Thoughts and opinions? Thank you in advance.

Atilla

You aren't in the Army yet. The Army will probably change patterns again by the time you need it, and will issue you a ruck then in the appropriate color at the CIF.

A good officer generally should use the same gear his soldiers do, not look like some tactical Gucci model.

Buy whatever you want for now.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:27   #92
Razor
Quiet Professional

Personally, I'd hold off on the purchase until I got through all the entry-level courses and reported to my new unit. Until then, you'll be issued what you need (note the difference between need and want) to get the job done.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:29   #93
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:

I didn't think starting a new thread for this would be a good idea so I tacked it on here I hope that is all right.

I am looking at buying a Tactical Tailor MALICE 3 and adding an HSGI Ali Pad to it. My question is should I buy said gear in OD green or should I buy it in ACU. I much prefer OD but I am just trying to figure out which is the best idea for the future. I don't want to buy this stuff and never get to use it cause the Army has stopped allowing OD as a color for gear or something along those lines which I could envisage with big green weenie radar.

Atilla

I recommend that you buy your gear in OD or sand colors and stay away from the digi crap. That way you can supplement your gear with Krylon for added camo patterns (whether it's black, white, or green.).

I tend to repaint my gear for hunting every year depending on if I'm hunting in CO in snow, or in brush in TX.
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:16   #94
C0B2A
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Personally, I'd hold off on the purchase until I got through all the entry-level courses and reported to my new unit. Until then, you'll be issued what you need (note the difference between need and want) to get the job done.
This is some great advice. Save your nickels for now. A lot of units will want you to use there issued items. You won't need anything more than the standard Alice for a long time.
Old 05-11-2009, 15:38   #95
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Doesn't matter now...

No matter what you buy now, you're going to hate it after you carry a real load for more miles than you what. It just need s to be able to handle about 120 lbs max. Love it, Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 05-12-2009 at 21:54.
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 16:00   #96
Atilla
Asset

I think I probably should have been more descriptive of my intentions for this gear. It's main use for right now will be personal i.e. camping, hunting, humping etc. I spent a long time looking at some of the high speed stuff from Arcteryx and Kifaru. However this stuff is pricey and it occurred to me that I should get something that I at least might have a chance of getting to use in the Army. I figured it would be best to get something that is closest to the issued gear that my soldiers would be using as TR pointed out. So I settled on the MALICE 3 (I like the separate compartment for the sleeping system, which is one of the only things I liked about the Molle system.) Now this is where I run into the dilemma which may derail my desire to kill two birds with one stone. I have never seen an ACU Alice pack and worry if i get one that if I did want to use it I would appear like the Gucci model TR warned against but if I get OD i will just have an Alice pack like everyone else with a couple of extra pockets. Have you gents seen a switch to ACU Alice would that be a good investment for a personal pack that I might get to use for work. If my gear didn't meet unit standards it would be no biggie cause i would just use the issued gear. Just trying to hedge my bets in the direction that might best facilitate the possibility of using my personal stuff at some point in the future. Again this gear is mostly for personal use right now. Basic question is do you gentlemen think that the Army will ever embrace ACU Alice packs?

Razor and COB2A you both made a good point about saving the dough but I have saved up for this purpose (getting myself a good field pack to use on weekend excursions and for conditioning hikes) and the color choice is just so, as I mentioned, I can possibly use it at a later date.

Stras you raised an interesting idea to me though. Is there a type of gear paint that you gents know of or use that can be removed at a later date. If so then I could go with ACU and always paint it Ranger green or OD green if the situation dictated it. Cant really go the other way, would be hard to paint on ACU pattern.

Thank you for taking the time to help me figure this out. Not trying to be a Gucci model just trying to make a sound investment that may prove useful in more than one area.

Atilla
Old 05-11-2009, 17:14   #97
koz
Quiet Professional

My suggestion - get a standard Large Alice pack with standard straps, frame, waist pad. It's a good ruck and will serve you well. There are some riggers (there was a good guy at Gen Jackson's @ Ft. Bragg) that do mods on rucks if you want to add extra pockets.

If you show up at a new unit/job with a completely modified ruck, "your soldiers" will notice.

Like Blitzz said, get used to carry heavy loads or medium loads to get your shoulders, and back in shape. I'd avoid jumping right into the heavy loads and trying to run with a ruck on.

Last edited by koz; 05-11-2009 at 17:19.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 17:31   #98
Atilla
Asset

Thank you Koz,

Part of the reason I am wanting to get an Alice is because I do have experience with them and I always liked them. They are dependable and have stood the test of time. In an effort to offer something pertinent to this thread (I feel bad for kind of highjacking it for the advice you gents are supplying) I would like to add something to think about in regards to the original intent. One thing to consider when choosing a pack in the current environment of operations is to consider how easy it is to rig up to a vehicle. The Molle was abysmal in this regard because the plastic frame would always crack when things got dicey and the vehicle (HUMVEE, LAV, Bradley, etc.) would have to bug out over some rough terrain. We used to use the large D shaped vehicle bolt and catch (cant remember for the life of me right now the nomenclature) and run them through the frame, needless to say the Alice was much better suited to this. I know the majority of the consideration on this site revolves around humping a rig but I just thought it would be relevant to add this other important aspect to the consideration of which packs best suit which situation.
Old 05-11-2009, 18:43   #99
Stras
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up Large ALICE

Attila,

I've used my standard Army Issue ALICE pack (Large, OD Green, type 1 each) for the last 20 years and swear by it. That new MOLLE abortion pack starts off at 30 lbs, and the frigging chest strap is 3 feet long (WHO needs a 3 foot chest strap???). The plastic frame breaks in extreme cold. it sucks!!

The only additions I've made are several additional pockets sewn on by General Jacksons (2 claymore, 2 medium, and 2 large). I've had to replace the frame once in 20 years due to a baaaaaad jump (bent the frame all to hell). I also have a LOWE ruck top flap that I use for extra gear when the weather dictates a little heavier load. Plus it holds a M240B in place on an exercise, but that's beside the point (Blitz did mention the 130lb infil ruck).

I've used braided 550 cord for the handle on the ruck and the carabiner for years. makes it handy to hang on a scale to check your weight as well. Buy extra straps whenever you see them. Excess of 100lbs tends to wear out the quick releases, though a flexcuff will solve the issue temporarily.

Keep the waist strap on your ALICE. We used to cut them off back in the day, but it comes in handy when you are skiing with your ALICE. If you don't like the straps, just tape them up out of the way.

I use boflage for painting my gear and guns, (it's a flat semi permanent paint). some of the surplus stores will carry it. the kit usually consists of 3 different colors, and a fake leaf for patterns (sand and OD are the two kits I use religiously), and augment with white paint for winter camo, and some white medical tape. If you use Krylon, make sure you get the FLAT colors and not the shiny.

If you are rucking, start with low weight and distance. 35 - 45lbs dry weight at a nice walking pace once or twice a week will toughen your feet up so you can increase your distance (start with 3 miles, and move up 2-3 miles a week). From experience, running with a ruck will lead to medical issues further down the road for you. Short distance spurts are better than a long jog. I recommend not running with one. but it's your choice if you want to walk when you're in your 60's or not.

Stras sends
De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 19:32   #100
tolzerman
Quiet Professional

Wink

Dead On Stras,
My Large ALICE has served me quite well over the years (with a few modifications). However, I did carry a 2nd Gen LOWE for several years and loved it. Only problem was you could OVERPACK the beast. The 1st Gen LOWE was made of Cordura and was a bit heavy to start. 2nd Gen was made of ripstop nylon and was much lighter. I did have to double-stitch most of the critical seams but she held up through thick and thin all those years as an SO living out of her for 5 days at a whack. These new Molle rucks are so heavy and complicated, mine hasn't even seen the light of day since it was issued. I still depend on my LOWE most of the time but the ALICE is right there if the mission dictates.
" Pacifism is objectively pro-fascist. This is elementary common sense. If you hamper the war effort of one side, you automatically help out that of the other. Nor is there any real way of remaining outside such a war as the present one. In practice, 'he that is not with me is against me. " George Orwell

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell
tolzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 22:57   #101
Zorro
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stras View Post
Attila,

I've used my standard Army Issue ALICE pack (Large, OD Green, type 1 each) for the last 20 years and swear by it.
Stras sends
De Oppresso Liber
That's it right there. Good old Alice Pack and get it modified at Gen Jackson's. Increase the top flap size and replace velcro with zipper. Replace the 3 mag holder with a large claymore pouch and the other two pouches for the top 2 corners. Fastex clips to replace the old snap buttons. Nothing has beat that setup for me. I just got issued the new Mystery Ranch pack the other day at my unit but there is something about having humped the Alice for the last 10 years in Ranger, SUT, Sage, etc... where you just know where everything is at and can get to it in complete darkness. I'm going to hump it tomorrow night instead of the new assault pack I was issued.

and for what it's worth. Just buy your own and modify it. It's totally worth it and you can do whatever you want to it and leave the CIF issue one in with the rest of the crap you gotta clean and turn in.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:05   #102
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:

Atilla
I love this guy! He is my hands-down-favorite wannabe.
#1 He's gonna do what he wants no matter what we recommend. #2 Sure you don't want to skip that "Robin Sage 'G'" experience and go for the Effective Writing class? ACTIVE VOICE. #3 Anyone else go all "Emo" over color schemes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hot Cammie.jpg (40.3 KB, 225 views)
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:44   #103
Atilla
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
I love this guy! He is my hands-down-favorite wannabe.
#1 He's gonna do what he wants no matter what we recommend. #2 Sure you don't want to skip that "Robin Sage 'G'" experience and go for the Effective Writing class? ACTIVE VOICE. #3 Anyone else go all "Emo" over color schemes?
I just can't get over on you Dozer. I wondered how long it would be before you showed up to put me in my place. I don't think I shared a decision on the matter, just rounding up opinions, which I am always very grateful for. Isn't that the idea, I get advice and opinions and then make decisions for myself, I figured we are all grown men here and no one would get especially butt hurt over my asking about rucksacks in a thread titled rucksacks, guess I was wrong. You are right about passive voice, I have a horrible habit of using it too heavily. Ill be sure to check into the Maybeiline, I certainly don't want my mascara running in the field. If you don't mind I'd like to ask you if its me in particular that you are opposed to or just the way I ask my questions?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:31   #104
C0B2A
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I just can't get over on you Dozer. I wondered how long it would be before you showed up to put me in my place. I don't think I shared a decision on the matter, just rounding up opinions, which I am always very grateful for. Isn't that the idea, I get advice and opinions and then make decisions for myself, I figured we are all grown men here and no one would get especially butt hurt over my asking about rucksacks in a thread titled rucksacks, guess I was wrong. You are right about passive voice, I have a horrible habit of using it too heavily. Ill be sure to check into the Maybeiline, I certainly don't want my mascara running in the field. If you don't mind I'd like to ask you if its me in particular that you are opposed to or just the way I ask my questions?
At this point I am going to give you the normal advice that is handed out here to someone in your position.

Read more, Type less
Old 05-12-2009, 17:03   #105
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Atilla, lighten up. I do it because you let me. KKHH
Butt hurt? I never heard that one before. Is that sort of like "pain in the ass"?
It kind of surprises me, too. I've been accused of being the GO TO GUY if you want a little encouragement or need to hear "ahhh-go-ahead-do-it-if-you-want-it-enough". Don't get me going on my "They" rant!*
It must be something special about you. Wanna mentor? Maybe we can make that Special.

*BTW "They" tapped out on the annoying littte thing with me! Beers in the trunk!
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote