Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Europe

Old 12-15-2011, 17:54   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

US Installations For Sale In The FRG

Anybody interested in investing in used American military installations in the Rhein-Neckar (Heidelberg, Mannheim) region of the FRG?

Apartment buildings? Warehousing and office buildings?

Campbell Barracks? Patton Barracks? Patrick Henry Village? Coleman Barracks? Many more.

http://www.bundesimmobilien.de/61344...ein_neckar.pdf

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 22:45   #2
mojaveman
Area Commander

Kind of sad for anyone who can remember being part of USAREUR.

Now, if I had some millions to throw around? How about the old AFRC Columbia Hotel in Munich? Stayed there one weekend back in '81 for hardly nothing. The General Patton in Garmisch-Partenkirchen was pretty nice too.

Last edited by mojaveman; 06-23-2013 at 01:54.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:16   #3
Santo Tomas
Guerrilla

FRG For Sale

I just came back from over there. the pictures look alot better than it is.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:40   #4
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
The General Patton in Garmisch-Partenkirchen would be nice too.
Stayed at the Patton as a 12 YO in winter '68. Dressed up for dinner, had scallops for the first time in the grand dining room. Waltzed (Mom taught us in the living room at Dambach quarters, prior) with my 9YO sister to a live "combo". (It was as much fun as Mom said). It was a segregated army then*. Got hooked on skiing then too. '79 - 82 stayed occassionally at the Patton (mostly ended up at the Von Stuben) on our trips to the Zugspitz. Returned with MRFL in summer '90.

*Officers stayed at the Patton
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 14:40   #5
FILO
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
Kind of sad for anyone who can remember being part of USAEUR.

Now, if I had some millions to throw around? How about the old AFRC Columbia Hotel in Munich? Stayed there one weekend back in '81 for hardly nothing. The General Patton in Garmisch-Partenkirchen would be nice too.
Agreed the Patton was great as where all of the other DOD hotels in G-P. We used to head down there on a regular basis for our mountain warfare/ski training. Lots of very fond memories of pointing my skies down the Zugspitze and then shortly thereafter going for a tumble.... IIRC there was a DOD language school that was located in G-P, I believe it was in a two story barracks type building right outside of the Patton.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 20:47   #6
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Returned for a visit to Bavaria just before the turn of the century. Stayed @ The Four Seasons in Berchtesgarden, and was able to use facilities at Lake Chiemsee. Much had been returned to the Germans even then; even my old stomping grounds of Flugplatz Hahn had changed hands.

We visit the UK, and the Continent regularly; Bavaria always calls to us.

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 21:49   #7
Pericles
Guerrilla

I was in the Nürnberg Fürth Erlangen, Amberg areas for my assignments, and all of that went back 10+ years ago.

While working in Switzerland, I took time off to go back to what were then homes, and it had all really changed.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:44   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO View Post
IIRC there was a DOD language school that was located in G-P, I believe it was in a two story barracks type building right outside of the Patton.
There was a language school at Sheridan in Garmisch and the Russian Institute at Hawkins in Oberammergau when I was there.

We used to go to Garmisch to take our son for a hamburger because there was one McDondald's in Garmisch and one in Munich at the time, and we enjoyed the drive more through Lenggries, past the Sylvensteinsee and through Vorderriss, Wallagau, and Krun to Garmisch - very little tourist traffic that way but you did have to navigate the local tractors and occasional herd of dairy cattle being moved between Alpine pastures.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:07   #9
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
There was a language school at Sheridan in Garmisch and the Russian Institute at Hawkins in Oberammergau when I was there.

We used to go to Garmisch to take our son for a hamburger because there was one McDondald's in Garmisch and one in Munich at the time, and we enjoyed the drive more through Lenggries, past the Sylvensteinsee and through Vorderriss, Wallagau, and Krun to Garmisch - very little tourist traffic that way but you did have to navigate the local tractors and occasional herd of dairy cattle being moved between Alpine pastures.

Richard
Had a big mac in Koln when the King Tut exhibit blew through town.

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57   #10
MVP
Quiet Professional

GAP

There was a Wendy's in GAP near the theatre in 1984-1992 or in that neighborhood. In 2004 they opened the Edelweiss Rec Center and closed all of the other American Hotels in GAP. The building was fancy but the food poor and everything expensive. I was that Antiterrorism Officer for Stuttgart with responsibility for GAP as well so I was often there doing assistance visits. My first stay in the Edelweiss was also my last, preferred to stay at the Post Hotel on LudwigsStrasse in Partenkirchen now known as the Altas Grand or at the Obermuhle just off of ZugspitzStr near the old Patton Hotel.Last time I was there was Nov 2007.

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 18:57   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

An SF Colonel I know just got picked to go take Grafenwoehr.

I told him it was too bad he didn't get Garmisch instead. He told me that Garmisch, and another base that escapes me, were subordinate facilities of his.

Tough luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 13:11   #12
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
There was a Wendy's in GAP near the theatre in 1984-1992 or in that neighborhood. In 2004 they opened the Edelweiss Rec Center and closed all of the other American Hotels in GAP. The building was fancy but the food poor and everything expensive. I was that Antiterrorism Officer for Stuttgart with responsibility for GAP as well so I was often there doing assistance visits. My first stay in the Edelweiss was also my last, preferred to stay at the Post Hotel on LudwigsStrasse in Partenkirchen now known as the Altas Grand or at the Obermuhle just off of ZugspitzStr near the old Patton Hotel.Last time I was there was Nov 2007.

MVP
Obermuhle is my favorite place to stay there.. They take pets. very close to the downtown area with great bars and restaraunts.

Frigging Edelweiss charges for everything... surprised there isn't a pay turnstile when you walk in the door.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote