Old 08-18-2018, 08:27   #1
S2theM
Asset

BSN to 18D

Hey y’all. Been a while since I last posted on here. A little about myself I was a nonselect a few years ago, most likely due to the peer evaluation process, from my point of view it was a popularity contest, (I’m a reserved guy) and lack of being a leader. Everyone is trying to be a leader at SFAS, I thought to myself why not just keep my mouth shut and get to grinding instead of adding my two cents in. Well that obviously didn’t work out. I ETSd and will be receiving my BSN next year. Now there’s no way I’ll be reenlisting with a nursing degree to be an 18x and possibly end up as an 11b. I’ve heard stories of officers giving up their officer status to be an SF NCO. Is this really possible? And if I remember correctly we got to pick MOS preferences, are these really looked at? Is there any 18D’s here that can shed some light on this?
S2theM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:38   #2
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

From your post it is easy to see why you are a non-select.

Be a nurse...stay a nurse.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:50   #3
S2theM
Asset

Can you elaborate. Eagle5US? I may have come off the wrong way with saying popularity contest. But during team week you can tell who’s friends with who and who gets selected at the end. Regardless of who was more of a team player. If you can’t agree with that you’re lying or you had a team with integrity.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:17   #4
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2theM View Post
I was a nonselect a few years ago, most likely due to the peer evaluation process, from my point of view it was a popularity contest,
Excuse -> Blame someone else, lack of personal responsibility

Quote:
(I’m a reserved guy) and lack of being a leader.

Excuse -> rationalizing your failure to meet the challenge

Quote:
Everyone is trying to be a leader at SFAS, I thought to myself why not just keep my mouth shut and get to grinding instead of adding my two cents in.

A team is made up of individuals working together for a common goal, not a bunch of individuals doing their own thing and looking out for themselves

Quote:
I ETSd and will be receiving my BSN next year.

Poor decision making -> Time effort and money went into your successful completion of a nursing degree, and for what? to give it up and be something else before you have even done that job.

Quote:
Now there’s no way I’ll be reenlisting with a nursing degree to be an 18x and possibly end up as an 11b. I’ve heard stories of officers giving up their officer status to be an SF NCO.
- You are not "re-enlisting", you are enlisting for a second time.
Poor situational awareness / trying to backdoor the system from non select status - Yes, there are officers (Physicians - not nurses) who have resigned their commission to become SF NCO's, but they still had to endure the entire process, front to back SFAS to GP assignment. No automatics, and being a nurse wouldn't get you an "auto conversion" to SF NCO. And when you are a non-select from SFAS or fail out of the pipeline after resigning your commission...you will be an 11B E-4 instead of a Nurse 2LT

Quote:
And if I remember correctly we got to pick MOS preferences, are these really looked at?

Yes they are...but they are your "wants"...not necessarily what you are going to get.

Quote:
But during team week you can tell who’s friends with who and who gets selected at the end. Regardless of who was more of a team player. If you can’t agree with that you’re lying or you had a team with integrity.
Tread carefully there STUD...you have no idea what the selection process or criteria is. If you think peer evals are the only block that needs to be checked a "go"...you have generated another excuse to rationalize your failure.
"Nobody likes me so I didn't get picked with the cool kids"
NO - YOU failed to meet the minimum standards and should accept personal responsibility for it, do some introspection, and either improve yourself i.e. BE A NURSE or consider that time wasted and move on to something else.

You will not be successful in Army Special Forces.

I have no need to validate my background to you but I will say I started my team time in 1990 and retired in 2014...including time as SFAS cadre and Phase 1/3 instructor while enlisted and I retired as the 5th SFG(A) PA.

You wanted an 18D to shed some insight....there you go.

Now, go be successful - as a nurse. You worked hard for it, enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 08-18-2018, 09:52   #5
S2theM
Asset

Eagle5US thank you for taking the time to explain yourself. Ever since I was a nonselect I always thought if I were to go back I would need to bring something to the table, you know make me an asset that the SF community wants. I thought about learning another language. No, I chose to get the training of a nurse, why because being a nurse is an asset! In any sort of environment.

It seems like my post has offended you which I do apologize for. Maybe your right poor timing/waste of resources being nurse wasn’t the best decision to make in order to back door the SF. But do you not think an RN would not make a valuable candidate into the program?

And to your response of failing the minimum standards. I tore my sartorial muscle while I was there, but I still put more effort in then others that were selected. I’m not sure what standards I failed during this but I gave it my all and that’s more than what others gave that were selected.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:16   #6
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
, I chose to get the training of a nurse, why because being a nurse is an asset! In any sort of environment.
No, it isn't....it is an asset in a hospital environment. That's why hospitals have nurses.

Quote:
It seems like my post has offended you which I do apologize for.
Skin is MUCH thicker than that

Quote:
Maybe your right poor timing/waste of resources being nurse wasn’t the best decision to make in order to back door the SF.
I am right. A waste of your time, your instructors time, the slot that someone else could have utilized, your clinical preceptor's time, and your money. But it is all about you after all.

Quote:
But do you not think an RN would not make a valuable candidate into the program?
No, otherwise we would have a Special Forces Nursing program. We don't.

Quote:
And to your response of failing the minimum standards. I tore my sartorial muscle while I was there
Excuse -> I, and MANY others, suffered injuries during SFAS. People have crawled across the finish line after the final road march. I tore my ACL, so what. When I "shuffled across the finish line" to weigh my ruck after the final event and then went for my own X-Rays 3 days later....I had 5 fractures between my two feet. So what. Men in my pod would walk around at night leaving bloody foot prints from the hamburger that their feet had turned into. Open wounds from "ruck rash" oozed and bled all over our uniforms and we glued our socks to our feet with tincture of benzoin so we wouldn't have to peel our socks off bloody feet. Why? BECAUSE THAT WAS WHAT IT TOOK.
"I tore a muscle...BOO HOO"

Quote:
but I still put more effort in then others that were selected.
Opinion, rationalization -> all about me

Quote:
I’m not sure what standards I failed during this but I gave it my all
And it wasn't enough...accept it

Quote:
and that’s more than what others gave
Obviously not...

The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 08-18-2018, 10:43   #7
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
And to your response of failing the minimum standards. I tore my sartorial muscle while I was there, but I still put more effort in then others that were selected. I’m not sure what standards I failed during this but I gave it my all and that’s more than what others gave that were selected.
Stop making excuses! (Eagle5US ‘elaborated’ on that quite extensively)

As to whether your decision to become a nurse would be an asset to the Team? No, not really, 18Ds are not combat nurses. You would still have many more hurdles to jump over in becoming an 18D and Q-Course graduate. Even if everything you hoped for happened (and you didn’t get inured again) you might still end up as an Enlisted something (91C) in big Army because you failed out of the Q-Course.

BTW: ‘Sartorial’ references a tailor or style of clothing, the “Sartorius” is a superficial muscle in the leg allowing you cross your legs or knees while sitting.

If you really want to be an SF 18D, join the regular Army in a combat arms MOS (Airborne/Ranger qualified 11B would be best) wait a year or longer and apply for SFAS with strength and determination as your guiding standards. Once you make it past SFAS then ask if 18D training is in store for you - you will possess some valuable skills but more importantly you will then appreciate the opportunity to learn.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:05   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Would you like a larger shovel?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:26   #9
S2theM
Asset

Lol^ well there’s a common theme here.
Old 08-18-2018, 15:35   #10
Chucko
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post

BTW: ..., the “Sartorius” is a superficial muscle in the leg allowing you cross your legs or knees while sitting.
I thought I couldn't cross my legs because I wasn't gay, or my berry's are to big. You can learn something new everyday on this site.
Old 08-18-2018, 17:04   #11
S2theM
Asset

Sartorius boys. iPhone likes to autocorrect.
Old 08-18-2018, 18:58   #12
Joker
Quiet Professional

Sigh. I coulda but they wouldn’t let me...
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 19:45   #13
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Sartorius boys. iPhone likes to autocorrect.
Just another excuse. Now the phone did me in
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 18:41   #14
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Eagle5US thank you for taking the time to explain yourself. Ever since I was a nonselect I always thought if I were to go back I would need to bring something to the table, you know make me an asset that the SF community wants. I thought about learning another language. No, I chose to get the training of a nurse, why because being a nurse is an asset! In any sort of environment.

It seems like my post has offended you which I do apologize for. Maybe your right poor timing/waste of resources being nurse wasn’t the best decision to make in order to back door the SF. But do you not think an RN would not make a valuable candidate into the program?

Excuses and conspiracy theories....in SFAS they don't care who you are and what you bring to the regiment you re being assessed without bias hence the no rank and just a number accept personal responsibility and start being honest with yourself no matter what you do in life....so far from what we can read your lack of honesty and personal accountability seems astounding....we don't need entitled weak minded troops we need men who are tough mentally and physically and more important honesty...even if you are a neurosurgeon with an IQ of 180 without the right traits under the stresses they put you through they don't need you even a super MD could be a liability