Old 06-01-2017, 03:40   #2311
glebo
Quiet Professional

I know this the intro thread, so I hope not to derail, but get involved in other threads. There's a lot of folks, places you may recollect...

Oh, and yeah, good times??? some, and some not...lolol
Old 06-04-2017, 17:25   #2312
BurtonQ
Asset

Updated Intro

Things have changed since my last introduction post so I thought I'd try to keep things current and post a new one.

My name is Quinton Burton and I recently made the leap from a National Guard 15T to an Active Duty 18X. Looking to hit OSUT later this month to begin the pipeline toward the Q and eventually earn the beret and tab.

I frequent the threads on this site and have been sticking with a pretty strict workout regimen outlined in "Get Selected."

There are a lot of great posts and advice forums on this site for any new-comers who have already signed or are thinking about signing as an 18X. Take advantage of them.

Thanks guys!

-Phil Klay
BurtonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 16:50   #2313
Endeavor
Asset

Post Introduction

First, I would like to thank Maj. Martin and MSG. Dodson for writing Get Selected, and leading me to this awesome forum. Second, I'd like to thank all of the Quiet Professionals (and other military members on this forum) for their service.

I enlisted with the Army Reserve in 2016 as a 92W at 26 years old. I'm a single dad with full custody of my 4 year old son. I am unmarried, thank God, but I am fortunate enough to have a very supportive family helping me raise my son. I am currently pursuing a BA in Cybersecurity and ROTC at my local college.

Prior to enlisting, I had very little idea or interest in Special Operations or Special Forces. Sadly, no one in my immediate family is prior service. I was clueless and, to be honest, I joined the Army Reserve to reap the benefits of a military retirement and because I knew a few guys that did it which made me think "It can't be that bad if HE did it." I'm actually embarrassed to confess that my attitude was pretty terrible. Sure enough, I got what I deserved because there were a few times I was humbled in BCT. I wasn't an athlete in high school and years of soft living really bit me in the ass in BCT.

When I first got to AIT, I couldn't find a whole lot of motivation. I wasn't a PT failure or a problem for the Cadre but goddamn, I hated it. I was 26 with a bunch of 18-20 year olds who seemed to think I was a prick because I didn't join in their shenanigans. So without much social interaction there, I went to the book store and picked up a few books that I thought might be interesting and ended up reading about guys like Gary O'Neal and Col. Nick Rowe. It really sparked my motivation and humbled me at the same time to read about what some of the SF Community has gone through just to do their jobs. Not only that, it completely changed my perspective on what it means to be a soldier in the United States Army. I know that no matter how boring or mundane or stressful things seem to be wherever I'm at, there's a guy in an ODA or in the 75th that's putting his life on the line. And when he's not doing that, he's busting his ass training to do that.

Needless to say, I'm on this forum because old age is creeping up on me and before I die, I want to perform well and I want to contribute to that kind of team. I'm here to find a mentor.
Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:05   #2314
Tieronix
Asset

intro

Hello everyone.

My name is Tony and I am currently preparing to go to selection in april of 18. I have been in the army for 7 years on active duty status. I am currently a RTO. I'm just here to learn from liked minded people and from people who have actually been there and done that. You can read theory or see workouts from coaches all day but getting the information from people who have actually put in the blood sweat and tears is insurmountable.

-T
Tieronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:47   #2315
GoodJobGuy
Asset

Introduction

Gentlemen,
I am currently an Infantry officer in the Marines and have chosen to forego career designation and pursue a career in SF, but not as an officer. God bless the Grunts and I am forever grateful for both the opportunity and experience to have led some of America's best. I am not leaving the Grunts because I feel I am "too good" or that the Infantry is not "high speed" or sexy enough. I despise such sentiment as it only reflects immaturity and selfishness. I am trading in my brass for flat black because I truly believe that is where I will have the greatest impact in today's chaotic world. I am currently reaching out to recruiters in both active and NGSF to try to find the best COA. I am completely open to all advice and guidance from all members of the Community. Thank you for your time.
GoodJobGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 17:33   #2316
Thatoneguy
Asset

Introduction

Hello and thank all of you for your various services to this country we all call home.

Have been lurking on this amazing website reading and learning anything possible(thank you QP'S).

I am currently in the process of enlisting as a 12b with hopes of dropping a packet within a year or two(5 meter goal, I know). Will keep this updated.

Again, thank you all for your service past and present.
Thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 21:11   #2317
asw
Asset

asw

**Feel free to skip through my background. I only included it because I wanted to be as open and honest as possible. Paragraph 5 is where the meat and potatoes starts.**

Born and raised in Tampa, FL. Scored in the top 2% of the nation when I was a child as far as intelligence goes. I've always wanted to join the military, I can't remember a time when I didn't want it. Parents were both drunks and lived paycheck to paycheck. I've never had a lot of friends and I never really cared. A couple girlfriends but I don't think females are worth the investment, especially at my age. I was given a personality test in my psychology class in high school. INFJ. Pretty much means I'm quiet, keep to myself, I don't sweat the small stuff, very idealistic, and I make stuff happen.

In high school I started researching everything I could about the US Armed Forces. I wanted the hardest job. I wanted to be where the bad guys were. I wanted to be the best at taking care of said bad guys. I settled on Special Forces. Everyone called me an idiot for not looking at college. "You can make so much more money." Money has never been a motivating factor for me, and neither has sitting behind a desk in A/C. Scored a 90/100 on the student ASVAB. Recruiter said I can do anything I want. Also called me an idiot for not considering anything other than what I want. Mixed signals much?

Life happened and my battle buddy (who waited 3 years for me to turn 18 so we could enlist together) started doing drugs and was arrested. RIP. Girlfriend got cancer and for some reason it just didn't feel right leaving her like that and I'd hate myself if I did and anything happened to her. (Pretty sure she cheated on me then broke up with me about a year later.) Whatever. I had been living on my own for a while now when my grandmother got out of rehab for falling due to a mini stroke. She laid on the floor for hours. She asked me to come stay with her. I obliged.

I'm 21 now. I almost started going to college while I was over here because there's nothing better to do and I genuinely missed learning. Got accepted and everything to a pretty nice school. But for some reason that acceptance letter just looked like proof I was a failure. I knew if I never joined up that it'd just hang over me. I'd never be able to look at someone who served in the eye without feeling ashamed. So I went to my local recruiter.

I have no medical issues, no legal issues, no dependents, I scored in the 97th percentile for the AFQT. Recruiter told me "the sky is the limit for me." He wants to ship me out in 2 weeks. 18X contract. I told him I don't think I'm ready PT-wise. I've only just begun the workout plan from the BUD/S Warning Order (Seemed comprehensive enough and easy to follow). He insists that OSUT will prepare me for SFAS. That goes against everything I've ever heard about SF. Not to mention I've talked to about 3 recruiters there and they will all give me different answers to the same question, right in front of each other. I've got too much respect to just call them out on it and ask why is everyone on a different page. No one in that recruiting station has been in SF. You guys have. I'm tired of wasting time. I will have 7 weeks at minimum after OSUT before I go to SFAS. I don't know how much free time I will have during those 7 weeks. I need to know if you QP's think it will be enough. VW isn't an option. I've pushed through longer and harder than anyone I know. 20 hours straight of moving and sorting heavy objects before they made me go home (I know that still doesn't compare to SFAS but honestly, what does?). My main concern is being med dropped due to my feet or something of that nature.

What do you guys think? Should I sign the dotted line and start stocking up on socks, uniforms, canteen straws, etc.? It says I've joined 3 days ago but I've been reading these forums for a over a month now and continue to do so daily. I'm going to MEPS in a few days for my physical but I'm not worried about that. I'm more worried about wasting time by failing SFAS vs properly preparing while I have more time in the day to devote to this.
asw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 14:48   #2318
Wake27
Asset

Current logistics officer stationed at Schofield Barracks. Here mostly to just read, my packet has been accepted and I should have my selection date in the next few days.
Wake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 16:03   #2319
thatoneguy72
Asset

Currently serving in an Airborne Civil Affairs unit in CA. About to begin my Master's degree in Public Policy/Affairs. Here for some research about possibly attending an SFRE if able. Had to navigate a multitude of medical issues just to enlist into the Reserves. Trying to make the most of it while I can.
(I'm almost positive I posted an Intro years ago but maybe not)
thatoneguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 18:04   #2320
RamboFL
Asset

Pirate Hunter Returns

Have been off the forum for awhile, glad to be reconnected following a trip to Bragg for a VIP Meeting at Camp McCall. Thanks to Det A for the invite. SF has sure changed since the old days 1970's - 80's. Managed to sneak into the old Green Beret Club for a cold one, which is now named Smoke Bomb Grille ! Living in SC active with local SF guys and do alot of local training with prior service Vets and civilians. Tip of the beret to the regiment !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bronze Bruce.jpg (130.3 KB, 27 views)
RamboFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:11   #2321
Florida Patriot
Asset

Married, 4 children (all grown, hell I got 2 grand kids), I play the guitar, my father served in the Navy during WWII. I have never served in the Military but I respect & honor all those that have & those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

I originally found this site researching a poser running for mayor in Ft Myers, FL. If I remember, I sent Team SGT a PM & the rest is history. I enjoy the political discussions & learning about firearms from folks with more knowledge than I. Love to assemble AR's & NFA stuff.

MAGA

FBHO
FHRC
FDNC
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

-- Samuel Adams --
Florida Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 16:55   #2322
Sturmjaeger
Asset

Post Introduction

First off, I wanted to say a heartfelt thanks to our gracious hosts here at the forum.

I am 37 years old, and am a civilian. I grew up with close friends who served. Now I am actively involved in supporting and partnering with veterans I am proud to call friends in organizations like Team RWB, Team Rubicon, and events by GORUCK.

I appreciate the opportunity to participate in this forum and look forward to learning more from everyone here.
Sturmjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 19:53   #2323
StudentSoldier
Asset

Introduction

Hello to all members (QP or otherwise)

I am an Aerospace Engineering Student taking Medical School prerequisites and will be an ROTC cadet this fall. For a long time I have been scouring numerous forums on this site looking for any information I can get my hands on. Special Operations Medicine is my long term career goal. My father who became a QP in the 80's and has been in Special Operations Medicine until he recently retired. I greatly respect the members of this community and the work that the QP's do. All of this makes me feel called to serve the members of this community as best as I can.

I will strive to ask intelligent questions and be a respectful student.
StudentSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:55   #2324
zngreene
Asset

Introduction

Good day gentlemen,

I am 23, hail from the Midwest, and got my BA in Political Science. During my undergraduate years, I played football and rugby, but also got heavily involved in a wide array of campus leadership positions. After graduation I headed to Maine, and hiked 500 miles south on the Appalachian Trail. Unfortunately, I had to stop to attend to family issues. I am currently pursuing my Master’s degree in International Relations. In my spare time, I practice Krav Maga, Judo, and BJJ. Upon graduation, I would like to spend one more year in academia pursuing a Masters in Security Studies. I realize this is quite a bit of time in liberal academia, but what can I say? I like books and learning.

I have been interested in the military my entire life because I come from a family with a strong and proud history of service. My stepdad (read: dad) was wounded in Afghanistan in 2012. This was the point I knew I would serve in whatever capacity I might be able. I have followed Professional Soldiers for a few months, and finally decided to pull the trigger on creating an account. I am currently unsure as to how I would enter the service, either as an 09S or an 18x. However, after extended studies of small wars, irregular warfare, and counterinsurgency, the Special Forces has become a goal that will be pursued in time. I look forward to looking through the site and investigating this fantastic resource for the many gems it holds. Thank you for allowing me to consume your knowledge and wisdom, Quiet Professionals.
zngreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 18:53   #2325
stitches
Asset

hey all guess I missed making my 1st post here so this is my 4th I think..... better late then never!! working hard on taking advice on following instructions and doing more reading but its just hard at times since I always wanna be right in the middle of the mix and leading from the front.... not much for standing on the sidelines! Anyways I am looking forward to learning and being a part of the forum..... my grammer isn't the greatest as you might have noticed lol but I make up for it in street smarts.... should come in handy down range.

anyway I was sitting around thinking about the meaning of life like I do and a documentary on the top tier military units came on... and it just happened to be the same day I got laid off..... total karma?! after some personal research I narrowed my options down to CAG (Delta force) and it was off to the recruiter.... he was a pretty good and said he could tell I had real potential but I had to go to the army 1st. we did look at the 18 x-ray but I couldn't do it because there was some stuff in my background from a few years ago (total BS btw). apparently though you can go to 11 bravo boot camp and make the switch there so that's the plan.

I had some more questions about getting from there to CAG (Delta force) but the recruiter didn't seem to know much about that so it was back to research! that led me to a bunch of places including here and now Im just trying to finalize my plan before I sign my life away on the dotted line, gotta have a plan several steps ahead before making your move

anyways I will be doing a lot of reading here and making sure my posts and private messages are squared away before I submit them.

stitches out
stitches is offline   Reply With Quote