Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18C

Old 05-01-2006, 13:39   #16
mugwump
Area Commander

MtnGoat --

That guy I mentioned is in Africa somewhere with an NGO that's trying to set up bicycle cart production. He will probably email me in June some time -- I'll hook you two up then.

See this site, you might find some interesting stuff in the water/sanitation section. I used the FireFox extension DownThemAll! to download all of the PDFs on the site.

mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 21:52   #17
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

mugwump-Thanks for emailing your buddy.

This site/link looks really good I like the site for the information and technical papers it has on it. I Looked over it real quick; I liked two of them I looked at. Their RAM pump paper is okay on there. I like the other site (DTU) for their RAM pump info, it has better plans. But thanks for the site. I'm add a lot of the info & technical papers to my deployment book. I'll have to look this site over for the other subjects it has on it.

Thanks

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 22:12   #18
mugwump
Area Commander

I liked the "Handpumps" paper -- treadle pumps etc.

Ingenious.
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:01   #19
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Been thinking about this in relation to this thread for some time,
would a small portable windmill have any application?

My fear is that it would stand out and be reduced to "parts" for sale.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:36   #20
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
Been thinking about this in relation to this thread for some time,
would a small portable windmill have any application?

My fear is that it would stand out and be reduced to "parts" for sale.
In the SF world being down range in a foreign country, I wouldn't want Windmills, Solar panels, ETC. Now locals - Most Areas ready don't have them or use them in daily use. SO they’re not practical to "push" on them. Also from the little I know about "Alt" Energy it really cost too much and the need or requirement for the power would mean a lot of windmills.

My .02

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 05-04-2006, 14:40   #21
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I think he meant the windmills that pump water directly, like we used to do in the olden days, not to generate electricity and then run an electric pump.

They work well in a benign environment with steady winds.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 16:43   #22
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
I think he meant the windmills that pump water directly, like we used to do in the olden days, not to generate electricity and then run an electric pump.

TR - Thanks for pulling my head out of my 4th point of contact. That is an idea to keep in the back of the head since its out now.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 05-04-2006, 18:53   #23
Bill Harsey

Quote:

TR
Reaper,
Correct, that's exactly what I found Googling "windmills", the small ones considered "appropriate technology" that only pump water.

MtnGoat, Sorry, I should have defined this better. I've seen entire 18 wheeler loads with oversize trailers and markers going up Interstate-5 carrying exactly ONE SINGLE BLADE for the monster windmills being built up off the Columbia River Gorge.

These are not the ones I was thinking of for your application.

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 05-04-2006 at 18:56.
Old 05-04-2006, 20:42   #24
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Reaper,
Correct, that's exactly what I found Googling "windmills", the small ones considered "appropriate technology" that only pump water.

MtnGoat, Sorry, I should have defined this better. I've seen entire 18 wheeler loads with oversize trailers and markers going up Interstate-5 carrying exactly ONE SINGLE BLADE for the monster windmills being built up off the Columbia River Gorge.

These are not the ones I was thinking of for your application.
That is a Great Idea Mr. Harsey - Water Windmills or even small power ones. But, yes I did first think of those huge Mills like you see in the California wind farms. We need something that can be moved by a Pre-runner or small truck. I can ask some people around here or back home in Texas. Thanks

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Last edited by MtnGoat; 05-04-2006 at 20:44.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:33   #25
Bill Harsey

MtnGoat,
Here is one manufacturer of windmills of various sizes, starting at 200 lbs for the head assembly.
http://www.aermotorwindmill.com/Prod...ills/Index.asp
Old 05-05-2006, 08:46   #26
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

In the interest of redneck engineering and lightening the shipping requirement, I would add that I have seen windmill heads made effectively from Jeep rear differentials with a little welding.

The vanes are sheet metal, and pipe which can handle the torque can be the shaft. All you need is a pulley driven pump for the bottom and some more pipe (PVC?) to reach the water.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 05-05-2006, 08:49   #27
Bill Harsey

Reaper,
That's as good as it gets, you drive your windmill to the site.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:00   #28
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Reaper,
That's as good as it gets, you drive your windmill to the site.
You say that in jest, but I would bet that if there were enough body panels for the vanes, a load of steel pipe, and a welder, we could make a windmill from a car, to include using the water pump for the pump and the pulleys and belts to drive it.

Just a thought.

TR

Old 05-05-2006, 09:11   #29
Bill Harsey

Quote:
You say that in jest, but I would bet that if there were enough body panels for the vanes, a load of steel pipe, and a welder, we could make a windmill from a car, to include using the water pump for the pump and the pulleys and belts to drive it.

Just a thought.

TR
I wasn't completely joking. Your exactly correct, I'd also want a cutting torch in the "shop truck" and a good angle grinder that would run off the power supply built into the portable gas powered welder.

This would be a good test of mechanical/fabrication skills.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:35   #30
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I wasn't completely joking. Your exactly correct, I'd also want a cutting torch in the "shop truck" and a good angle grinder that would run off the power supply built into the portable gas powered welder.

This would be a good test of mechanical/fabrication skills.
Don't need the separate gas powered welder. You can run them off of a special alternator that provides welding capability from the engine.

http://www.zena.net/

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/specs/ppwspecs.html

They will also provide 115 AC power and act as a power source for MIG and TIG.

You could set up a generator or fabricate a grinder off of the Jeep PTO, or just plug in a bench grinder to the special alternator output.

The cutting torch you would have to bring, though I have been told that you can do rough cuts with a welder.

TR