Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Vital Signs

Old 02-22-2011, 19:53   #16
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 Go View Post
Thought I would share some good information to know. My credentials are that I have a B.S. in Kinesiology (think exercise science) and have been a certified personal trainer with N.A.S.M for nearly 7 years.

There is a dramatic increase in hospital visits related to fatal heart attacks
in the winter months. A large percentage of this is directly related to chronic high blood pressure and shoveling snow.

The reason that shoveling snow can elicit heart attacks in those with high blood pressure is because the blood pressure is already elevated prior to shoveling snow. Once a person begins to shovel snow their heart has to work harder to pump blood through the tiny arterioles of the upper limbs, thus increasing the force of blood against arterial walls for sustained periods that are already overloaded with pressure.

So, while this is in regards to shoveling snow, it goes for anything else that requires sustained movements that tax the upper body limbs in a sustained way when a person has chronic high blood pressure.

The end-statement is NOT "don't ever shovel snow," but be well aware of your fitness status, or at the very least blood pressure history. Consider if you have to shovel snow and you do have high blood pressure, then really consider possible limitations and ways to mitigate risk.

Lastly, increasing fitness can reduce blood pressure, normal or compromised. For folks with chronic hypertension - avoid exercises that require repeated upper limb motion (i.e. Use the equipment, but do NOT USE the handles while doing the physical activity on Nordik tracks, elliptical machines, cross-trainers, or versa climbers). Just using your lower body to complete the activity will suffice to improve fitness, reduce blood pressure, decrease your heart rate, and overall reduce your risk for heart related conditions

The same can be said for using resistance (strength) training in those with chronic elevated hypertension. Avoid heavy lifting of the upper body until blood pressure is in good control. Resistance training is a great component - again use caution, consider your personal history and fitness status - lower the weight, go higher rep - until you are in good blood pressure management.

And lastly, to tie this to the original topic, consider those signs if you are participating in shoveling snow or other activities - it can be a warning to take action quickly.

\

123 go,
No, just STOP. the snow stuff was a post that takes up words and space....if your specialty is a B.S. in Kinesiology and you want to post about resistance training or pose a question related to it relative to the life of an SF'er, and what effects it has on the cardiovascular system, go for it. Leave the snow stuff out of it...let's keep threads on track here for the sake of the military personnel who own/operate/use this site.
Thank you

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 21:54   #17
123 Go
Asset

Swatsurgeon,

If I took up extra space and words...apologies. My passion is fitness, health, and integrity of the body... however, will keep that in mind next time I post with my audience. This wasn't to be a controvesial off-topic post.

However, the topic was signs of a stroke and heart attack. My topic was things that will in fact elicit fatal heart attacks (i.e. specifically, intense upper body physical activity). Thus, I believed it noteworthy to mention as we are in February and some of us reside in states with great snow fall. And while it's useful to mention the signs of what a stroke or heart attack might be, I thought if might further be useful to mention what you just might be doing when you experience one.
123 Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 22:00   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

123, I don't know if you have slowed down long enough to turn your SA on, but swatsurgeon is a Chief of Trauma at a major metro medical center.

There are several other physicians on the forum here, as well as PAs, Nurses, and 18Ds, and since you have not mentioned a medical degree, 18D MOS, or advanced training in those fields, I would recommend that you hold up on the advice outside of the sports medicine, put the shovel down and stop digging your hole.

Most non-SF members here are here to learn, not so much to teach.

Just some friendly advice.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:51   #19
123 Go
Asset

you have a PM.
-saca

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 02-23-2011 at 09:01.
123 Go is offline   Reply With Quote