Old 08-02-2015, 16:52   #1
Sdiver
Area Commander

Windows 10

Here's the thread for the new goddamnmotherfuckingsonofabitchgoodfornothingpiece of new CRAP from Microsoft.

This program is all about the APPS.

Once it's installed, it'll change ALL your security settings ...

It's restarted my computer several times since the download the other night, it has also frozen my computer resulting in my having to remove the battery just to restart it.

Anyone else having issues?
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 17:09   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Here's the thread for the new goddamnmotherfuckingsonofabitchgoodfornothingpiece of new CRAP from Microsoft.

This program is all about the APPS.

Once it's installed, it'll change ALL your security settings ...

It's restarted my computer several times since the download the other night, it has also frozen my computer resulting in my having to remove the battery just to restart it.

Anyone else having issues?
So it is better than Windows 8, right?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 17:12   #3
Mustang Man
Guerrilla

I haven't bothered with it but this link as well as others in the article can hopefully help you out.

http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10...ow-to-opt-out/

Quote:
Windows 10 is amazing.*Windows 10*is fantastic. Windows 10 is glorious. Windows 10 is faster, smoother and more user-friendly than any Windows operating system that has come before it. Windows 10 is everything Windows 8 should have been, addressing nearly all of the major problems users had with*Microsoft’s*previous-generation platform in one fell swoop.

But there’s something you should know: As you read this article from your newly upgraded PC, Windows 10 is also spying on nearly everything you do.

DON’T MISS:*Windows 10: The first 5 things you need to do immediately after you install it

It’s your own fault if you don’t know that Windows 10 is spying on you.*That’s what people always say when users fail to read through a company’s terms of service document, right?

Well, here is*Microsoft’s 12,000-word service agreement. Some of it is probably in English. We’re pretty sure it says you can’t steal Windows or use Windows to send spam, and also that Microsoft retains the right to take possession of your first-born child if it so chooses. And that’s only one of several documents you’ll have to read through.

Actually, here’s one excerpt*from Microsoft’s privacy statement*that everyone can understand:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

If that sentence sent shivers*down your spine, don’t worry. As invasive as it is, Microsoft does allow Windows 10 users to opt out of all of the features that might be considered invasions of privacy. Of course, users are opted in by default, which is more than a little disconcerting, but let’s focus on the solution.

Rock Paper Shotgun*has broken things downinto four main bullet points that will guide you through regaining control of your personal data.

READ MORE:*5 common problems people are having with Windows 10 – and how to fix them

First, you’ll want to open*Settings*and click onPrivacy. There, you’ll find 13 different screens — yes, 13 — to go through, and you’ll want to disable anything that seems worrying. The blog notes that most of the important settings can be found on the*General*tab, though other tabs are important as well. For example, you’ll definitely want to adjust*what types of data each app on your system can access.

Next, users should consider dumping Cortana. Yes, the voice-driven assistant is*easily one of the best new features in Windows 10, but it also plays fast and loose with your data. As a result, many users will find that the benefits do not outweigh the risks.

For the third task, you’ll have to venture outside the confines of your PC and hit the web. Perhaps this is a good opportunity to check out Microsoft’s nifty new Edge browser. In*it,*click on this link*and set both “Personalised ads in this browser” and “Personalised ads wherever I use my Microsoft account” to off. This will disable Microsoft’s Google-style ad tracking features.

The last tip is one that most users will likely forgo, as it is a bit excessive.*Rock Paper Shotgunrecommends removing your Microsoft account from Windows 10 completely and using a newly made local account instead. This way, Microsoft doesn’t grab hold of all your data to sync it across machines. To us that’s a great and useful feature, but if you want to kill it just follow the link below in our source section for complete instructions and plenty more details.

BMT
Mustang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 17:39   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
If they think it's bad enough to publish a rebuttal,, Be careful..

http://lifehacker.com/windows-10s-ke...-pr-1642931793

http://www.geek.com/microsoft/micros...ogger-1606160/

Quote:
The “keylogger” is gathering usage data that will help Microsoft determine what’s working and what isn’t in the Windows 10 preview. It’ll help fix bugs in Windows Search or anywhere else a text input box pops up. It’ll help improve features like spellchecking and autocorrect — tricks that can be hard to pull off if Microsoft can’t see what you’re typing. The license agreement even mentions this specifically: “we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features.”
No problems here,,
Move along comrade,,
The Thought Police are going to fix the problem...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 18:10   #5
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
If they think it's bad enough to publish a rebuttal,, Be careful..

http://lifehacker.com/windows-10s-ke...-pr-1642931793

http://www.geek.com/microsoft/micros...ogger-1606160/

No problems here,,
Move along comrade,,
The Thought Police are going to fix the problem...
We (my agency) have been doing test on Win10 and have determined that right now we will not use it. We have been told to not upgrade or buy new equipment with it. I liked it somewhat but there are some security issues that I do not like. The PW sharing, wifi sharing etc..... Is a no go for me. I will wait for the fixes in 6-9 months. And then see how it does....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 18:21   #6
PSM
Area Commander

Shhh! You do know that this is a secret element of JH15, don't you?

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 18:57   #7
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
So it is better than Windows 8, right?

TR
To be honest, I don't know.

I was still using Windows 7 ... and just getting used to it.
Old 08-02-2015, 19:17   #8
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:

Knowing what you know now do you wish you would have stuck with 7 or will 10 be a better fit for you if the bugs get worked out?
Old 08-02-2015, 19:25   #9
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:

You can not roll it back to Win7 or 8. Your stuck with it. Wonder how long the first patches will take?
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 19:26   #10
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Not installing it. https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows...164057617.html

In order to enable that feature, Facebook would have to share your friends list with Windows, which would then allow access to wifi via a piering mechanism. Oh, and facebook would have to have your MAC address to be able to tell your friends' copy of Windows you were in the area. It's going to be a field day for hackers as soon as the inevitable security flaw is found.
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 20:30   #11
tpoole
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
You can not roll it back to Win7 or 8. Your stuck with it. Wonder how long the first patches will take?
if you have a license key you should be able to download win 7 and install it.
tpoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 21:39   #12
Dame
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by (1VB)compforce View Post
Not installing it.
Here here. It's now popping up in my toolbar at the bottom of the screen. They don't have a "go suck a rock" reply on it though.
Old 08-02-2015, 21:55   #13
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Knowing what you know now do you wish you would have stuck with 7 or will 10 be a better fit for you if the bugs get worked out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
I actually just found an option where I can reload Windows 7.
Looks as if this offer lasts for one month, past the Windows 10 install.

I may just do and wait till ALL the bugs are worked out, before loading 10 .... maybe.
Old 08-02-2015, 23:04   #14
MR2
Quiet Professional

MS rolled out 10 early in an attempt to finally make the 'back to school' date.

The current 10 is a preproduction release. It is still missing several 'features' and some things do not work 100% (as if...). Hardware drivers (as per usual). Media player is missing. They replaced IE with Edge (so that could reuse the icon...). But Edge doesn't work with any addons or many websites. So IE is still available if you hunt for it.

Only difference between XP and the 7 or 8 variants is the addition of a fair Firewall and a Firewall you cannot adjust.

JMHO, YMMV

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 00:07   #15
x SF med
Quiet Professional

If you went for the free upgrade/download.... if you read carefully, you have 2 years from the initial release date to make use of the freebie. I am waiting, I'm used to Win7 and it's pretty stable. maybe in July of 2017 I'll download Win10.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote